Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best 7.62x39 powder?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:11 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I scored an AK today - joined the dark side! :fkr: I'll no doubt score some cheep foreign ammo, but I have brass, dies & boolets from when I had one before. There wasn't much loading data then & I used IMR 4198.

What's the best ( cleanest) powder for this round? Any load recommendations? SW

Post subject: Re: Best 7.62x39 powder?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 am 
The Knife
The Knife

My Sierra #5 manual lists these powders for a .311 125 gr bullet:

Viht N120
IMR-4227
Viht N130
AA-1680
IMR-4198
XMR-2015
RE-7
Benchmark
H322

Your 4198 is right in the middle of the burn rates. You could also throw in H4198.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 pm 

I messed around and have had good results with H-335. I took my Hungarian AMD Kalashnikov klone out this AM. I had a magazine loaded with old Yugo surplus ammo & was glad I didn't take my reloads!

That thing tosses brass all over the place! Shot just fine, but I had a heck of a time policing up my brass.

I do believe I'll save my reloads for the o-fficial range!!

30.5 grains H-335 and the 123 grain Hornady .310 boolet = not too shabby! 8-) SW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:45 pm 

there are several that work, but AA 1680 was made for the 7.62x39 it is "THE" powder for that cartridge. and it doesn't work for S*** in hardly anything else!! How do I know this. I"ve tried in it 5.56, 6x45, and 300blk. I have one 6.8 AR that it work in a little.(that's one out of two that I have in that caliber)("O" by the way all the above rifles are AR-15's )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:17 pm 

I also prefer AA1680. It is half way through the burn rate chart and I use it in my Yugo M59 and 59/66 A1. :m60:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:49 pm 

My go to powder for the 7.62 x 39 is Reloader #7 it's an excellent powder for both J bullets in 123 all the way up to 187 grs. as well as cast loads in my SKS rifles although I do prefer Alliant 2400 for the cast bullet loads in most all my rifles.

AA-1680 is an excellent powder as well but nobody carries it around here any more and haven't in years. I've had good success with IMR-4198 as well but IMR powders are always more expensive than Alliant powders and Alliant is more readily available.

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” TR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:23 pm 

It's just the opposite here - LGS carries AA powder but none of the reloader series. Might be an availability issue. I finally got tired of chasing brass & scored a couple sardine tins o' Russian ammo.

Dirty powder in steel cases, but it runs without a bobble through my SKS, AMD & RPD.

And! Welcome to the site!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: SW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:36 pm 

Thanks for the Welcome! I don't chase much brass here,my Chinese SKS will cycle reliably with 12.5 grs. of 2400 and the Lee 160 gr. GC TL cast bullet,the brass drops right at my feet in a nice little pile.

There is always the SKS gas tube mod as well that allows you to bleeds off excess gas pressure by drilling a series of holes with numbered bits into the gas tube just in front of the gas piston which will alter both the direction and distance the SKS will toss the brass without affecting the velocity.

Since I shoot at home I strung a cable down the shooting lane and hung and old trampoline safety net so I can slide it down the range as needed to knock al my rifle and pistol brass down.

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” TR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice , what a great idea , collecting brass is becoming the thing to do no matter if you reload or not ,