Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i would like your opinion on these two 3006 loads , they were amoung the stuff i got recently -

#1 case is GI full length re-sized [headstamp DM/42] data from the box , dated 12-15-66
primer is CCI 200
bullet is "herters" 125 grain HP
powder is 4895 @ 49 grain

#2 case is "herters " [new case] data from box , dated 12-6-62
primer is CCI 200
bullet is 311291 cast 170 grain round nose
powder is 2400 @ 18.5 grain

i realize this is old and i know the components could be obsolete , i also know some of you have info going way back and i was interested in what i have and what this fellow was doing if anything could be interpreted from these ,
it would have been fun to talk to this guy back then , and he is gone now for some time , but was a very interesting gentleman according to my friend , he was a real gun guy in his day

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 am 
The Knife
The Knife

The only manual I have close to that is the same one you have and it is copy righted in 1970 is the Lyman #45.

The lead bullet seems to be just a little on the light side. It lists a 173 gr lead load starting at 20 gr of 2400. The 125 gr is one grain over minimum.

M 48th edition of Lyman gives a starting load of 18.5 gr of 2400 for the 170 gr LRN so I would think it would be safe to shoot.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thanks , i suspected they were OK , am i correct in thinking this might be for use in an older rifle ? a 'light load' type

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 am 
Major
Major

Asquare,
I have similar results that HM got. The 125gr Hp should give about 2800fps in a 24 in. barrel if the powder was IMR4895 and not deteriorated.

BTY I had some 6.5x55mm and 7x57mm Herter's model perfect ammo. The powder load was supposed to be within 1/10 gr. accuracy. I pulled 5-10 bullets (can't remember which caliber) and weighing the charges. They ranged up to 3/10 grain difference.

The cases were made in Sweden (I think Norma), but I am not sure if Herter's 30/06 cases were made in sweden.

You might want to pull one or two of the 125grs. to see if you have some red haired children in there.

Last edited by oldernavy on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:30 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ah , that was my concerns as well - perhaps it will be best to just pull and recycle , i now have the technology - just need the time and a place to work , or i may use some in my display