[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - cast bullet question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cast bullet question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

not being a well versed re-loader i pick up info as i go along and sometimes i like to check/verify what i get , and sometimes i get confused [that is gettin more common as i get older] so here is my question [s] ...

what is the actual bullet diameter of the 45 long colt and the 4570 government ?

and long as im askin how about the 45acp and 45 autorim ?

Post subject: Re: cast bullet question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:05 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

45 Colt should be .454
45 Auto & Rim = .452
45-70 @ .457 but there's a lot of variation, especially in the trapdoors. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:27 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thank you -

you are correct im looking to load for my trapdoor and a modern rifle im fixin to buy , im thinking on cowboy side matches ive not been able to shoot so far ,

and i was wondering about the bullet mold i have for my 45LC revolvers and rifle as an option ,

im also thinking on loading for my webleys - i can use the 45acp or autorims , ive got brass for both ,

but there are just so many things and so much time .....

but im loading 45LC tomorrow with a friend :grin: :grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:28 am 
OUTLAW

45 colt.
well there is a can of worms ;) .what type of 45 colt A SQ ?.
ruger well .452 works.some of the revolvers from italy (clones) .454.colts lets break it down to pre war & post war.
pre war .454 was the norm and post war .452.that said some of the old cylinders are over sized and some under sized.I would take some cast bullets along with me(.451,.452 and .454) when I was looking at colts.pull the cylinders and drop the bullets into the cylinders and see what stuck.if a .454 hit the floor well that was a no go for me ;) .

if your thinking on a marlin 45/70 just make sure it has ballard rifling.the old micro groove barrels do fine with jacketed bullets but can be a pita to get cast to shoot well.you need fat bullets with a MG barrel.
.458 will work in the newer ballard rifled marlins.lee makes a mold a 340 gr lfn pb that was a great shooting bullet in my marlins.they would drop right at .459 and I would shoot as cast just tumble lube them with 2 heavy cotes of the liquid lube.
30.0 grs of AA5744 was a very accurate load and would make coyotes do some great back flips when smacked with one :lol .
if you need a hand or have question A SQ give me a call.
pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:15 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Lee makes a hollow base 405gr bullet. I haven't tried it yet but it should be a good one for the .45-70. The hollow base would help it to expand and fill the bore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

ideal/lyman mold #457124= 405grns,
and #457125=500grn, both mine drop at 458+/-,,, with a case full of TB powder not compressed, just to below bullet base and my trapdoor is a rolling. :twisted: :Dbounce: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:26 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

resurected an older thread , i miss pete , but im glad you did , thanks for your added info ,

as it is ive got some updates , ive been reloading the long colts with great success , and im certainly comfortable in that arena now ,

im still working on the webley/enfeild loads but i have what i need for both the 455 and 380 , ill get to it as time permits and need presents ,

as to the 4570 , thats a different story , ive sold my trapdoor , i cancelled the order im placed for the marlin [they were incapable of filling it at the time] and i purchased from a friend a itallian copy of the sharps buffalo gun for my cowboy long range ,
swede , above , now known as walnut head , has offered to help me work up a load [he also helped me-remanufactured some i had bought in BP ] im just trying to get the time to follow through ,