[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Reloading Advice for a Noob

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:48 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I'm going to start reloading for the K31 and I would like any tips or advice anyone can give me.....from what I've been reading, I should get a headspace measurement first? A comparator would be a good thing to have?
I do have some IMR 3031 and 4350 and Hornady bullets 150gr #3031 and 3033.....I can start with this according to Hornady's reloading manual.
I want to do the best job I possibly can and I do tend to be a nitpicker when it comes to detail....which I think would be a good trait (or neuroses) to have when it comes to reloading :lol
I had to promise my SO ( I hate that term...but what do you call it after 10 yrs?) that I would NOT take over his reloading bench!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:45 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I am not a foremost K31 expert but I can pass on what I have learned from others. The K31 Chamber measurement can differ quite a bit from rifle to rifle. So in the reloading manuals the cartridge over all length (OAL) given may in fact be too long for your rifle. Meaning, when you try to close the bolt the bullet may be jammed into the rifling causing the bolt to not close all the way. Higher chamber pressures can result from this. Each brand, weight and style of bullet used will be different. There are several easy ways to measure your rifles cartridge OAL and if it's ok with the admins I can post some links that show this info. If you knew this already I apologize for the redundant info.

I have been reloading for my Swiss guns from the beginning. If you have trouble finding 7.5x55 brass you can use .284 brass after sizing and trimming.

HTH
jeff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Please do AM.

Shamelessly taken from the Swiss rifle Website

The best commercial bullet to match the GP11 ogive is probably the Berger 174 grn VLD bullet or the 168 grn one... These are spendy, but you get what you pay for.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:21 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Ok here is one that covers the basics. I'll post more as I find em.

http://www.swissrifles.com/ammo/reload1.htm

From my own experience the Sierra Match Kings in 150 and 168 grain have worked best at 100 yrds. But since I'm not such a great shot and "Thrifty" I buy bulk Prvi Partizan 150, 168 or 175 grn depending on what's on sale. :)

jeff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:16 pm 
OUTLAW

one of the most accurate bullets I have launched out of a K-31 is the surplus 173 gr match bullet.these were used in the M1's for match shooting.all the loading books have the OAL wrong.the K31 has a short thoat.the best way IMHO to find your OAL is make a dummy round smoke the tip.it will show when it engages the rifling.just seat the bullet deeper until you find the OAL for your rifle.
for powder I used IMR 3031 but for groups it seemed in my rifles IMR 4064 was better.as with any handload start off low and work up the load and watch for signs of pressure.
pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:25 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks all......I do read swissrifles.com but I also wanted to check with all of you.......you can never have too much info ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:07 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I would like to know if I'm on the right track here....I made a dummy round using a privi case trimmed to 2.179 and a Hornady bullet 150 gr btsp #3033. I started with the col out of the Hornady reloading manual which was 2.875.....had very heavy marks. I kept seating until I had just very faint ones, I seated it down another 0.010 and wound up with a col of 2.825. Is this normal to have a difference of 0.050 from what is listed in the book? Is there a problem with using a listed load but seating the bullet that much deeper? I did load just 5 rounds of this to try using IMR 4350 @ 44.8 gr. with a c.o.l. of 2.825. Hope to get to therange today and also try out the m96-38.
Thanks for being patient with me!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:37 pm 
OUTLAW

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image