Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detailed weapon ID
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Just came on a line in a novel I was reading, where the police had identified the weapon used in a murder, with only the bullet recovered (and possibly the ejected brass). It was identified as a Remington 1911 R1 Carry. This also happens often on shows like CSI. Is it possible to get that detailed with only a spent bullet to go on? Do the manufacturers get together and agree that only one of them will use a particular rifling pattern? And they use a different one for each model?

Or is there some other identifier used in forensics that I am missing?

And if it is as simple as that why haven't the bad guys taken to running something down the barrel to alter the rifling?

Post subject: Re: Detailed weapon ID
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Several firearms have specific bore characteristics such as left hand or right hand twist or number of lands and grooves so a lot could be told from *certain* bullets.

As far as criminals, die hards often use stolen guns on a 'shoot and toss' basis & don't get too concerned with forensics. But there are other factors leading to their arrest and lengthy stay in the crowbar hotel.

Then there's 'literary license' = make circumstances fit into the story as the author desires.

I'm a First 48 junkie and watch real murders get solved by real detectives who make good use of security cameras, witnesses and general criminal stupidity. SW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i also suspect literary license - notice i did not use quotes even tho the circumstances call for it . i also think there is a recognizable difference between a bullet that left a short barrel carry as opposed to the long barrel - but i have no proof of that at all , i just suspect some smart forensic scientist might detect that - if not today/tomorrow

a lot of TV-movies-REALITY STUFF just takes liberties

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks guys. I thought there might be some validity to it, but suspected that literary license figured pretty strongly. The story is quite well written with few other "wait-a-minute" bits, once one accepts that fictional computer hackers have much faster machines, faster keyboarding skills and can access secure systems and leave no trace, than I can.

In this case the murderer uses a "Remington pistol" a couple more times. I assume it is the same one. In his last attack, when he is brought down there is no mention of what gun he was using.

The novel is The Girl in the Spider's Web: A Lisbeth Salander Novel, continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series.