[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - What is a clean bore?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a clean bore?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:33 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I have shot a large amount of corrosive ammo and water does get the salts out of it, after you have completed your shooting day. There are good techniques and ideas on the Internet that will assist you in keeping your barrels clean and corrosion free.

One interesting item of information on the Internet is that the more barrels are damaged by "over cleaning" than by not cleaning enough. Yes and no to this statement. If you use improper cleaning equipment like a GI steel cleaning rod, you can damage the bore or muzzle of your rifle. If you use a non-steel rod, bore guide and bore brush you will most likely do no damage at all. I use a Dewey fiberglass rod and it works very well.

There was an interesting article in Precision Rifle shooting magazine about cleaning barrels. With the use of a Hawk Eye Deluxe Bore Scope, they cleaned several barrels and found some interesting evidence about what works and what does not work regarding cleaning barrels. They found that carbon and copper fowling were observed stacked in layers in the bore. That plain cleaning removes only certain layers and leaves other layers behind. Leaving layers of salt packed carbon in your bore can only lead to corrosion.

The research team then went to work to find what works best and was does not in removing these layers of copper and carbon, while using the bore scope which magnifies the inside of the bore. The evidence was that there was not a catch all cleaning compound that would take out all the copper and carbon at the same time.
Per the test the product that worked the best was @Slip2000 carbon removed. This is a water-based product that has no hazardous materials in it and works on the same idea as dishwashing soap, which gets under the dirt in pots and pans and lefts it out. It does this same thing with carbon in the bore of a barrel.
For jacket fouling they found that @Bore Tech Eliminator with Copsenal works the best in removing these layers of jacket fouling. Several other products were tried while using the bore scope and these worked the best.
As with all bore cleanings its not finished until a good bore lube is placed into the bore after the job is done. As an ole die hard @Hoppes #9 man, I had to finally change bore-cleaning products and both of the above have work really well for me.

Just my .02

Post subject: bore cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:00 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I have tried all of the comercial products I could.
The armorer here said the best he had found was common ammonia. Plug the receiver, fill with ammonia and let stand overnight..
Tried it on what I thought was a clean bore and was amazed at the gunk that came out.
After soaking and cleaning the normal way I built and tried an electronic bore cleaner as per description on surplus rifles .com and was again amazed at the crud,lead ,copper, that came out on the rod.
Almost made me ashamed of my cleaning practices.

survivalist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Boiling water with a followup of G96 has always worked for me

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:45 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

I have always just used boiled water also and then ran a dry patch through and then cleaned it as you would normally.
Someone told me that black powder solvent work just as well as water....any truth to that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I believe so as it is water based. Water is the only thing that will remove the corrosive salts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:49 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Plugging dark bores and filling them with Kroil, and letting them sit for 3 days does wondering on a dark bore.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Wonder if Marvels Mystery Oil would work like it does on old Honda engines ? :lol