Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i didnt realise there were any left ...anywhere ,
......................................................................................,.

British WWI veteran dies aged 108

William Stone spoke to BBC South's Ben Moore in 2007
One of only four surviving British veterans of World War I has died at the age of 108.

William Stone, from Watlington in Oxfordshire, was the last British serviceman to have seen active duty in both world wars.

Mr Stone, who was known as Bill, joined the Royal Navy on his 18th birthday in September 1918 and served on HMS Tiger.

In 2004 he was presented with the National Veterans' Badge. He died at a care home in Sindlesham, Berkshire.

Born in Ledstone, Kingsbridge, South Devon, on 23 September 1900, he followed his brothers into the navy, serving as a stoker.

He was a man of great faith and his recipe for long life was: clean living, contented mind and trust in God

Anne Davidson, daughter

During World War II he was a chief stoker on HMS Salamander and took part in the evacuation of Dunkirk, making five trips to pick up troops from the beaches.

Mr Stone also served in the Sicily landings of 1943 with HMS Newfoundland and was mentioned in despatches after a torpedo attack as the ship made its way back to Malta.

In an interview with the BBC in 2007, Mr Stone said: "Dunkirk was the worst part of my life.

"One of our sister ships, Skipjack, was bombed, and 200 soldiers and all crew were killed.

"During our trips to Dunkirk, I was often stationed on the quarterdeck helping men get aboard Salamander as they swam out from the beach.

"Those were awful days but one just carried on as if nothing had happened - there was nothing else that you could do."

Mr Stone married Lily in 1938 and their daughter Anne was born the year after.

He went on to run a tobacconist and hairdressing shop in Devon, retiring in 1968 to move to Oxfordshire.

Mrs Stone died in 1995.

(L-R) Henry Allingham, Harry Patch and Bill Stone pictured last year

In a statement, Mr Stone's daughter said: "[He] had a remarkable, long, healthy and happy life.

"He thoroughly enjoyed going to events, meeting people and, whenever possible, regaling those around him with his fund of naval stories and jokes.

"He was a very determined character both in his naval career and in civilian life and, no doubt, this contributed greatly to his longevity.

"He was a man of great faith and his recipe for long life was: clean living, contented mind and trust in God. His motto - 'keep going'.

"William will be sadly missed by his family and many friends".

The other known remaining British veterans of World War I are 112-year-old Henry Allingham and 110-year-old Harry Patch, who both live in Britain, and 107-year-old Claude Choules who lives in Australia.

Minister for Veterans Kevan Jones MP paid tribute to Mr Stone.

"We owe a great deal to the men and women who served this country with such distinction during those wars to protect our liberty," he said.

"[Mr Stone] was a man who represented the courage, spirit and determination of his generation. He was an inspiration to us all."

Mr Stone died on Saturday at the Masonic Care Home at Sindlesham near Wokingham, where he lived for the past two years.

A funeral will be held later in the month at St Leonard's Church in Watlington.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:47 pm 
Major
Major

I salute you Mr Stone!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:48 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

........108... :-o :-o :-o .....God Bless 'im......... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

followup story ...............

Funeral of World War I veteran

Mr Stone who lived to be 108 years old served in both the first and second world wars.
The funeral of the last British serviceman to have seen active duty in both world wars is being held in Oxfordshire.

William "Bill" Stone died aged 108 on 10 January at a care home in Berkshire.

Mr Stone joined the Royal Navy on his birthday in 1918 and served on ships during both world wars, until 1945.

Originally from Devon, he lived in Watlington, Oxfordshire, for many years and his funeral was being held there at St Leonard's parish church.

Mr Stone was the last remaining Royal Navy veteran of World War I and in November he lead the nation's remembrance at the Cenotaph in London along with fellow WWI veterans 112-year-old Henry Allingham and 110-year old Harry Patch.

He put his longevity down to "clean living, contented mind and trust in God".

His motto was "keep going".

William "Bill" Stone's motto was "keep going"

Mr Stone was born on 23 September 1900 in South Devon, the 10th of 14 children and joined the Royal Navy on his 18th birthday.

He served as a stoker on ships such as HMS Hood and HMS Salamander and took part in the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940, making five trips to pick up troops from the beaches.

After leaving the navy he returned to Devon and ran a barber's shop for many years.

He married his wife Lily in 1938 and they moved to Watlington in 1968 to be closer to their daughter Anne.

His wife died in 1995. Mr Stone continued to take an active role in commemorative services of both world wars.

Before the funeral service, Keith Evans, of the HMS Hood Association, told the BBC: "He constantly pulled my leg and had a rather wicked sense of humour. It was a privilege to have known Bill."