[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Favorite WW2 bolt action rifle?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Whats your favorite WW2 bolt action? Why?
Mauser 98k 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Carcano 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Arisaka model 99 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
French MAS 36 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Lee-Enfield 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Mosin-Nagant 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
1903 Springfield 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Favorite WW2 bolt action rifle?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Whats your favorite WW2 bolt action rifle? why? I have only shot the mosin so I wouldnt really know but I would like to hear what y'all think! Thannks, Eli

Post subject: Re: Favorite WW2 bolt action rifle?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I started with a sporter made on a G33/40 and and it is a very good design. Now if I could only get that one back from my son.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:22 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Had no idea what I'd had leaning in the back corner of the closet for years, until a gun collector coworker saw it and clued me in approximately ten years ago ... he's the one who got me interested in the K98k and milsurp guns ... its condition is pretty much worth no more than 'wall hanger' status, but this one is worth gold to me despite it all 8-)

dot.jpg
dot.jpg [ 217.72 KiB | Viewed 19753 times ]

Me likes the Mausers :grin:

banner.jpg
banner.jpg [ 146.17 KiB | Viewed 19749 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:27 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....what he said..... ;)

k98sedgelow3.jpg
k98sedgelow3.jpg [ 57.04 KiB | Viewed 19746 times ]

....but I think my 1903-A3 has better sights and seems to have lesser recoil :grin:

DSC01427.JPG
DSC01427.JPG [ 322.79 KiB | Viewed 19746 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:35 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Awesome pics!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

.. no doubt the Mauser sights are crude at best compared to other rifle sights ... but lol ... the 30-06 round has less recoil than the 8mm Mauser round in a bolt gun? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.....ok.....next range trip-you bring your K98 of choice....I bring a 03-A3....you fire your K98-then follow with mine...
.......then you tell me.... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:35 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The more I shoot my Y1903/14 Greek Mannlicher the more I like it! No option in the poll for that one, though. SW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Deal ... lol, I'll bring the ammo ... nice hot surplus WWII 8mm German, Greek and Korean 30-06 ... no wimpy handloads allowed :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:28 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...i have no handloads for my rifles...Have shot only Korean surplus and LC ball thru mine-and the same WWII hit German 8mm from battlepacks dated '39 thru mine....and thats the truth... :Dbounce:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:08 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I can load up some HOT hand loads if you want. And I do have some wimpy hand loaded 8mm though. 180 gr 06 and 185 8mm.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

lol, ok, the light bulb just came on :roll: ... despite the case size difference, the factor I'd failed to take into account is the practically 25% heavier standard military mauser bullet :-? Standard military issue ammo should do just fine for the comparison ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:11 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

MAS-36, last bolt action rifle to be issued to a major army. Also, the best ergonomically designed bolt action rifle. Last, but not least, NO SAFTEY because "safeties aren't."

The peep sights don't hurt either. 7.5mm is actually 30 cal in French….

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

hey - i have to say welcome and its wonderful to see someone joining us that reads the old and new posts , im very glkad you have joined us here ,

and mine "currently" is the winchester M-1917 i just pulled out of the closet to clean , what a great rifle , but there are so manyt and SO LITTLE TIME

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:57 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I have a M1917 myself,…Winchester made December of 1917. It has a new parkerized Criterion barrel though. I have some blemished 2nd hand 168 and 175 grn HPBT match bullets from GRAF waiting for it and the MAS-36. Surprisingly, they group very similarly. Kicks like an Mosin M-44 though. Not for the faint hearted.

Best Regards,

Mark

There are a lot of refurbed MAS-36's out there with new wood and barrels. They are hard to beat for the price. Hey, they use 30 cal bullets, not bad, not bad at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:34 pm 

As long as we're still on this topic, I'd have to say my absolute fave is my 8x60R Kropatschek. Yes, they were made in 1886, but several saw service against the Japanese in the Portugese East Indian colonies.

What a sweet old rifle! SW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:59 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

You aren't the only one who have mentioned this to me. I'm scared I'll start to serious research getting one. That's one "damn you" coming your way.

Not another caliber! Damn you, damn you! (so that was two…..I can't count)

I so wanted to mess myself up with either a Berdan, Beaumont, or a Chassepot. I actually handled both. My OCD didn't kick in, lucky me.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:22 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I like my Lithgow NO 1 MK III best. Given its extreme adversion to cold weather I can only presume it spent its time in New Guinea where the weather is hot.

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:06 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

The problem is that I have a few Ennies, a couple 03A3, MAS-36's, and a Winnie 19-of-17. Had a couple Mouser's over the years and recently sold a M44 Mosin. That makes it hard to choose a favorite, I went with 03A3 cause that one gives me immense pleasure to sit at the range, during a Michigan summer day. Take my time and send round after round down range to ring my steel plate, enough so that other shooters come down the line to take a look see. Some are surprised I'm using open sights to hit a 15" square plate at 200 yards, but I usually allow them the opportunity to try a shot or two. I do shoot a K31 Swiss, but they sat out the war-----does that count as a WW2 rifle ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you keep finding these old threads that are fun to revisit , i did not post my photos back then , but now that you have given me cause ill match mario and raise the table stakes to encourage a few new posts ,

my WWII [or there-a-bouts ] enfields -

and a couple inglis to keep the longbranches company - made 44-45 , and the cooey trainer made 45 ,