Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: favorite WWII infantry weapon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Although as armorer he was never assigned a rifle by any unit he served in during the war, dad's #1 choice as best WWII infantry weapon is the US M1 Carbine … the gun was lightweight, short and handy, its small ammo meant lots of it could be carried by an individual, semi-auto meant no waste of ammo, and although not a high-power round, it was 'effective enough'. This from someone who'd served on the eastern front where he saw plenty ppsh41's, and in the west where his own unit had some MP43's that were limited by a constant shortage of ammo.

Post subject: Re: favorite WWII infantry weapon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:33 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I spoke to a veteran of the 1st Marine Division of the Korean war (a real "Frozen Choseon" vet no less) and he told me that he threw away his M1 carbine for an M1 Garand since the carbine couldn't stop anybody. 30 cal carbine rounds somehow don't penetrate Chinese winter coats. I've read about this, but was delighted to hear it first person.

My grandfather was a toolmaker at the Inland plant in Dayton where many M1 carbines were made. I do like the carbine for the same reasons you mentioned. The round actually has more stopping power than the 45ACP the Thompson fired as it was going considerably faster. Of course, a 30-06 is a whole other story.

Best Regards,

Mark