[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - ...another anniversary today...

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ...another anniversary today...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

......68 years ago today,a B-29 named Bockscar dropped the second A-Bomb on Nagasaki.......yesterday the Ohio Chapter of Yesterdays Weapons went to the Wright /Patterson Air Force Museum....Herr Messer....fr8dude,Reinhard,and myself spent a good 6 hours viewing a lot of aviation history....one of our stops was the aformentioned actual B-29 Bockscar....one of my lousy cellcam photos of it can be seen below....I'll ask Reinhard to post the one he took with us by it with his EXCELLENT camera....its a really nice quality photo I love enough that I made it my 'puter wallpaper...
:jmp:
IMG_2742.JPG
IMG_2742.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 7192 times ]

Post subject: Re: ...another anniversary today...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:48 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Sounds like a great day out. I need to get back down there, it's been near a year now time for a new batch of pictures. Did you guys catch their Disney at war from a few years back? I never realized Disney and his artist did so many patches and nose art drawing for the troops during WW II

Attachments:
phpVIYDEIPM.jpg
phpVIYDEIPM.jpg [ 80.72 KiB | Viewed 7190 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:29 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...herrmesser and I did-it was still there last year....but this time we went past that area and I didnt notice if they still had that area up...we went purusing other sections that we havent spent as much time in previously-and Reinhard was THE photographer so we just kinda meandered where he wanted to take pics...we are close enough we can visit any time we wish...but everytime we go we see things we missed before,so its never old,stale ,or boring...in fact they had to evacuate the place right when we started eating lunch in the cafeteria for some unknown unreported reason...false fire alarm???...terrorist threat???....dunno....but suddenly there were armed security screening us coming back in....another interesting twist to the great trip... :rotflma:
....you are really gonna have to meet up with us at some point ya know... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:33 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Works for me Herr Mario. Just need to know where, what, and when(and to stay healthy).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:47 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

lol, it was an interesting lunch break, that's for sure .. I think what's great is that every bit of the food on the cafeteria table that we abandoned when we had to leave the building was still right there when we got back. And it was still kinda warm .. no problemo whatsoever for herr bachelor here .. I chowed down, and it was good ... still somewhat warm fries, a cheeseburger, and ultimately, my cola beverage with a couple 'o nice fresh refills :D

Last edited by ReinhardH on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:03 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Not much of a military historian am I, fer cryin' out loud :roll: The light bulb just came on.
Here ye go, gents .. I posted these first tonight in the forum 'pictures' section ...

bockscar1.jpg
bockscar1.jpg [ 81.78 KiB | Viewed 7171 times ]

bockscar2.jpg
bockscar2.jpg [ 87.98 KiB | Viewed 7171 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

both bocks car & enola gay left tinnian air strip , a stones throw from saipan , my father told of watching them leave - would love to get to attend one of these meets but looking less likely each year

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

........what....????....we gotta come pick you up...???? :roll:

:rotflma:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:44 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

My long time friend and former neighbor, Mr D, was the head mess cook that served both the crews breakfast before both missions on Tinian. He said everything was "Hush Hush" until they got back from Hiroshima. He actually told me he got to see the second unit before it was loaded. Said it cost him a steak.