Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comparison ot Tiger Tank vs T34
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:35 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

http://fishki.net/1298601-tigr-ili-t-34.html

Text in Russian, but the pics are still interesting especially the driver's seat of both. Main advantage of the T-34? Thousands were made. Like way more than the Germans could produce. SW

Post subject: Re: Comparison ot Tiger Tank vs T34
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:42 pm 
Major
Major

Although not quite the same analogy it kind of reminds me of the finest modern aircraft downed when it hits a flock of geese.

The T-34 needed a better gun than it was fielded with but, it was much easier to start in freezing weather.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

To me, the Tiger tank was a waste of resources since it took so many to produce one. Notice that the armor isn't even sloping. Also, spare parts for it were hard to come by and its transmission gave it fits. Sure it has that nasty 88mm gun on top and nice frontal armor, but when compared to the Panther, it just isn't worth every ton in comparison, as the Panther is faster, has a great gun, and has decent armor. Ironically, the Panther is a German version of the T-34.

The T-34 was able to be up gunned and was regularly repaired when damaged, unlike many of their German counterparts. The sloping armor was not only more effective, but wisely used resources to build yet more tanks. When it first came out, it had no peer. In Korea, the up gunned t-34-85's were feared by our infantry as our WWII standard bazooka's often bounced off them.

For me, I do like the Sherman tank since it has a stabilized gun that can fire on the move. Later versions had better guns and armor as well. The 17 pound gun on British versions makes the 88mm look bad, especially with any modified penetrating rounds.

Of course, US artillery tromped them all. Only we could call over 100 tubes on a target all at once at a moments notice. The Germans feared this above all else.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:47 pm 
Major
Major

Wasn't the tiger so heavy it bogged down easily while the wide tracks on the t-34 made it easy going. I understand that the German tanks could not go nearly as far as the Sherman with its rubberized tracks.

Too bad it took the English to upgun the Sherman as the Firefly. It could have saved a lot more lives if this had been done at the onset. Like bringing a knife to a gun fight---sort of.
They did the same thing with the P51 Mustang. It was good ground attack aircraft until they put the Merlin engine in it and then the sky was the limit.

There was a lot of collaborative effort like this between the allies unfortunately too often it was an afterthought.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:10 am 

My FiL was "assistant driver" in a Sherman for 3 years in Europe. Like most genuine vets, he spoke little of his experience. He did say once ( under the influence) "a German 88 would speed up going through a Sherman."

The Panther was a great design but poorly executed. The Achilles heel for that model was how deeply the final drive was buried. Pretty much under everything and a major PITA to access for repairs.

I can't recall how the speed was limited, but it was substantially less than the tank could do. SW