[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Here are some nice period photos of the B-24 Liberator...

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Here are some nice period photos of the B-24 Liberator...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:42 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

gschwertley

These were found on a rather large website about the Willow Run Plant, where the Ford Motor Company made quite a number of these.

I discovered not too long ago in reviewing my dad's pilot qualification record from WW2 that he was checked out on one of these and qualified to fly it, but he ordinarily did not fly bomber types.

yockey5
Thanks for the great pics Gary. I would think it something to be really proud having the memories of your Father as a WWII pilot!

gschwertley
In the fourth picture down, notice the lake freighter in the bottom of the picture. Willow Run was in Michigan, of course, so this picture was taken on a test flight out over one of the
Great Lakes.

yockey5
I took note of that as I first looked the pucs over, and thought maybe that was the great lakes down there.

Dutch Mosin
Great pictures Gary.
I always admired those who had the guts to get on these planes.
I had an uncle who was a gunner on a B24 in WWII.
Unfortunately his plane crashed after a mid air collision with another B24.
To me they are all hero's.
This is a picture of my uncle wearing a jacket with the emblem of 512 squadron.

The emblem on his cap is that of the Royal Yugoslav Air force.
Before the war he used to be a pilot in that Air Force.
I've always been very proud that I had an uncle who flew in the USAAF during WWII.
This man is my hero.

gschwertley
Martin, I'm sure that is an interesting story about your uncle and how he came to be in the USAAF after leaving Yugoslavia.

Dutch Mosin
It sure is Gary.
It took me over 10 years to find out what really happened to him.
My family always thought he was a B-25 pilot and was shot down by German FLAK.
Instead of that he was a gunner/navigator on on a B-24 Liberator.
He crashed because another B-24 in the formation got shot by German FLAK and crashed into the B-24 my uncle was in.
The most difficult part for me was to tell this to my father.
He always spoke with much pride about his older brother who was shot down by the Germans.
Now, almost 60 years after the war, I had to tell him this story wasn't true.
Instead of that he was killed in a crash between two B-24's.
He thanked me for telling him the true story, but I don't think he was happy with it.

yockey5
I see little difference in the stories, as he was, in-flight, engaged, and giving all for his homeland!

Dutch Mosin
Yes Don, I agree with you 100%.
The way I see it my uncle gave his life for freedom and for his country.
It's just the way my father was.
I'm glad I was able to tell him this before he died almost 2 years ago now.

Bushido101
You can say one thing for sure those guy's had a lot of nerve to fly into some of the things the flew into. I had a uncle that died this past year that was a B17 pilot flew bombing missions over Germany. I have heard my dad say my uncle crash landed three planes and didn't lose any crew members in the crash landings, but my uncle never spoke a word about it. I have been trying to do some research on a B24 the name was the '"Coughin Coffin" an old neighbor was a machine gunner on the plane he never talked a lot about it but I know it flew missions over North Africa and later over Germany. If anyone finds out any info. on the Coughin Coffin email me or give me a look up here on the forum.

Dutch Mosin
It isn't much Tommy, but it's a start. Here's some info on "Coughin Coffin".

www.b-26marauderarchive.org/PH/Noseart/P2392.htm

yockey5
Wow, I spent some time in there!

Bushido101
I have several snap shots that he gave me of the plane and crew standing by the nose art, thats the same plane Martin. Thats the same nose art. I am trying to find out about a crew member the man that lived next door that was the machine gunner on the plane his name was Hugh Collard. If anyone comes up with anything else I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:43 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

The quality of these old press photos of the B-24 were too good not to move over from the other site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:49 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

One of the war winning aircraft. It didnot get the press the B-17 got but it probably dumped more tonnage of bombs than the B-17.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Glad to see em here!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it got the press or perhaps i should say notoriety for "THE BALL TURRET" bad place to ride in one of these , on the B29 it was the tail - you were locked in when you left and let out when you got back , it was the distance between preasurised compartments that caused it , in the B24 it was the turret being up on takeoff then sealed and lowered , if the hydraulics got hit you were stuck , and it couldnt land with it down - without the loss of the turret and its occupant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:31 am 
Corporal
Corporal

"but it probably dumped more tonnage of bombs than the B-17."

They were, certainly, built in greater numbers.
I think they might have been made in greater numbers than any other US WW2 aircraft.