Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diary of a Japanese officer from 1942 - 1943
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:34 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

This is an out take from the book I edited. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, Russ Arendel. I'll do a few days at a time and add to it over the course of several weeks. (Copied verbatim except for obvious typos.)
SW

Diary of probational office, Kan Nakamura of Sano group, Shoji Butai, Takizawa Butai, Matsuaga Tai.

Sept. 19, 1942
I thought we have a few more days before we depart, but they say that the order to go to the front will be completed sometime
tomorrow. When I think I'm going to the combat area I feel very happy and I am determined to do my best. We are expecting to receive orders tonight.

Sept. 20, 1942
Awoke at 0700 and we packed material all day. Today I was so busy I couldn't keep my mind on one thing. All the soldiers are also packing, organizing the company equipment, etc. Everyone is worried a little. At 1800 we assembled in one place all the equipment which should be carried by the Butai. Everything is roughly done and it took all day. Preparations for the movement was done and finally completed. I wonder where our destination will be. I am determined to destroy the enemy force to their last soldier.

Sept. 21, 1942
Today I am officer of the day. Last night I was very busy because plenty of orders came in. I awoke at 0700 and then started packing. I packed immediately whatever that wasn't packed yesterday. Everything was completed in the afternoon, but I just couldn't keep calm. They say that we will depart tomorrow. I'm a little worried going into combat area as a platoon commander for the first time, but I'm going to do my best. There is only a desperate fight before us and we will fight to the end with courage.

Sept. 22, 1942
We were supposed to have left in the morning but it was 1500 before we departed for the Berawan Deli. I cannot express the feeling of loneliness as I leave Kabujahe where we lived for the past six months. The roads were constructed very good and the Hollanders, I thought, were quite a respectable people. When I passed Medan I thought the construction of the position was excellent so that the northern sector of Sumatra will be protected. In comparing Berawan Deli and Kabujahne, what a hot place this is. This place has developed very fast in comparison with when I landed here six months ago. On the way, I met Samu Muraki of the automobile Butai (unit) and enjoyed his friendship very much.

Post subject: Re: Diary of a Japanese officer from 1942 - 1943
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm 

Sept. 23, 1942
It looks like it will be hot again today. Time of our embarkation hasn't been decided upon yet. In the morning I visited the eighth company and when I came back Lt. Inouye was giving calisthenics. Then I visited the northwest field. I came upon a Hollanders home and they all seemed carefree to me so they did not convey any feeling that they were without a country. Towards evening we had a squall and at the time I received two letters from home and one letter from a friend. That feeling of receiving from home cannot be expressed in words. At 2230 the Regimental commander indicated the objective of our operations.

Sept. 24, 1942 - Clear
I stayed in the barracks this morning and at 1100 we departed for the pier and it took us half an hour to get there, Immediately upon arrival we embarked. It took two and a half hours to load the entire personnel on the Kiyozumi Maru - steamship converted into battleship - at 1700, I reported to the captain of the ship and I introduced myself, receiving a cordial greeting. The name of this ship is Kiyozumi Maru which means "very clear" and I want to be that way, too. We departed from the harbor at 1800 and the ship sailed on a route to the east. The moon was shining brightly in the sky and seemed as though it was wishing us success in the future.

Sept. 25 - Friday
The ship is still sailing east and they say we'll be passing off the shores of Singapore at 1600. The Kamakura Maru will be docking at that time in Singapore and it is an excellent ship -- T.N. -- Kamakura Maru was a passenger liner of the NYK between Japan and the U.S. and the former name was Chichibu Maru--. It seems as though our captain likes the recitation of Chinese poems. They had a kajido festival and I thought it was very interesting because it was the first of its kind. I think there will be a very beautiful moon tonight. I went to bed early.

Sept. 26, 1942 - Saturday - Clear
At 0600 we will pass the equator, what a beautiful dawn. I really feel swell. The sea was so calm that I cannot describe it in words. They say we will be able to see the northern tip of Borneo today. At 1400 I saw a speck to our north which seemed like an island. It must be the tip of Borneo, but I'm not interested. I have been reading so many novels that I don't feel as though I'm going into combat. I want to have this feeling all the time and do things calmly.

Sept. 27 - Sunday - Clear -
I awoke and the sky was a beautiful blue. The morning slipped away without any incident. The ship is still sailing to the east and soon we ought to be in the Makassar Straits. In the afternoon we had a combined army and navy show and passed the afternoon very happily. Around 1500 we had a squall. Today is commemoration day of the combining of three great powers -- Japan, Germany and Italy -- While the army and naval officers were eating supper we heard the news from Japan over the radio and I yearned for that beloved country. The sun is now setting below the horizon.

Sept. 28, 1942 - Monday - clear -
I awoke and the morning is very beautiful and I feel very refreshed. The ship is sailing due north through Makassar Straits and off the port side I can see the shore of Borneo. After supper, the captain of the ship, Captain Kumesaki recited Chinese poems and it certainly was a pleasure hearing it. Hereafter we are going to nickname him "Ichigan". After that we talked about various things. Captain Kurosaki is 56 years old and Lt. Commander is 60 years old. These were revealed during our conversation. The Hagi - rice cake covered with jam - we ate was very delicious. Tonight I believe we'll cross the equator again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:37 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sounds an interesting read - is this from a real diary or is it a composite of many recollections ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:15 am 

This is a translation of the man's actual diary. Keep in mind he's a 'probationary' officer. As such, he has to display a proper positive attitude.

His style changes dramatically when he gets to Guadalcanal and things get tough. This was recovered after his death.

There's another partial diary I'll transcribe after I finish this one. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:00 pm 

Sept. 29, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear
Again the sea is very calm. I think we have already passed the Makassar Straits. Our aircrafts were out on reconnaissance way out in the sea. Some troop ships passed us. The ship advanced on a zig zag course. At night I read novels in the salon. It certainly is hot. I went on deck and gazed at the stars and finally dozed off to sleep. It looks as though tomorrow will be another fine day.

Sept. 30, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
The exhilarating feeling of the morning cannot be expressed in words. Today was wash day so undershirts and drawers are hung on a line on the aft deck. In the afternoon we took a combined picture of the army and navy personnel for souvenirs purposes. In the evening I saw islands off the port side and starboard side. Off the port side I see a mountain resembling Mt. Fuji in Japan and this mountain is an active volcano. It seems there are people living there. Around 1830 it became dark and I wondered what my parents were doing now.

Oct. 1, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
It's already October and the days certainly pass rapidly. Since embarking eight days have already passed and every day was very calm. In the afternoon I got a haircut and felt very refreshed. Today the ship we saw at Belawan Deli and the ship carrying regimental headquarters met. At night I enjoyed myself in the dinner room and played "GO" - Japanese checkers - with Lt. Kate and I beat him. We passed north of Mandao. Tonight I'm hoping to have a sweet dream like the one I had last night. They say our ship is going to the south seas.

Oct. 2, 1942 - Friday - Clear
It rained till about 0900 and the sailors and soldiers did their laundry and showered. I washed my undershirts, shorts, etc too. In the afternoon it was fine weather as usual. Today I'm officer of the day. I heard various war stories from 2nd Lt. Kato. The ship is sailing eastward on the south sea on the northern tip of New Guinea. I guess we'll cross the equator again this evening. I wonder what they are doing at home.

Oct. 3, 1942 - Saturday - Rain
I awoke at 0500 and went to the aft deck where the company commander read the Imperial rescript to us. At 1000, Sgt. Kitagawa lectured on tanks, ammunition, communication, land mines etc. It certainly dampens my feelings on a rainy day. They say in another day we'll reach Rabaul which is north of New Guinea. I took a bath and felt very good. They say our ship will be in the lead tomorrow. Machine guns are prepared for anti-aircraft firing.

Oct. 5, 1942 - Monday - Clear
Last night we had an air raid warning. At 0800, we entered Rabaul harbor, there I can see some destroyers. The plane on our ship broke its float when catapulted and sank immediately but the two men in it were rescued. I can see many other merchant ships, and I think all of them will go in the same direction. We drank a toast to the army and navy. The ship is expected to arrive at Rabaul tomorrow. Colonel Niraide that the Solomons Islands were in a perilous situation. We are all determined to fight courageously.

Oct. 6, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear
Last night we had an air raid warning. At 0800 we entered Rabaul harbor. There is an active volcano outside of Rabaul harbor and it is active now. Many ofour planes landed on the airfield and in the harbor there were many vessels and ships. I heard various stories about Rabaul from the naval surgeon Lieutenant. In the morning we were attacked by enemy planes but they didn't drop any bombs. I heard about the third phase victory in the Solomons. The evening came very calmly. I suppose the enemy planes will come again tonight.

Oct. 7, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
This morning we prepared to debark and debarked at 0800. It certainly is hot. This place doesn't even have water. The barracks were three kilometers from Rabaul and the march was extremely hot. There were many that weren't physically fit. The barracks were under coconut trees and we quenched our thirst with coconut milk and it certainly was delicious. I wish I could show these coconuts to people back in Japan. The natives seem as though they're not civilized but they speak very good English. Our planes flew around all day.

Oct. 8, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
I awoke at 0500 and went to the beach for calisthenics. I felt very fine. At 0800 the Imperial rescript declaring war on Allied nations was read. In the vicinity of the barracks there are plenty of wild coconuts and banana trees and it reminds me of the southern countries. In the afternoon I went swimming. There is an artesian well about one meter from the beach and it certainly is marvelous how fresh water comes out. At night we had a big enemy air raid. They dropped bombs in the vicinity of the barracks. I wonder when we are going to leave here. I want to get into battle soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:52 pm 

Oct. 9, 1942 - Friday - Clear
I awoke at 0500 and the day is clear. They say two men were killed within the regiment from last night's bombing. At 1330 we held an anti-aircraft firing practice on the beach. In the afternoon the trenches were constructed. In the evening I went to bath and after that I played cards. Tonight we had an air raid again. When night falls, the enemy always makes a raid. They make their movements very calmly. Our anti-aircraft firing is very fierce.

Oct. 10, 1942 - Saturday - Clear
I awoke at 0500 and the freshness of the dawn cannot be expressed in words. Around 0800 it seems as though it was noon in Japan. In the afternoon we had calisthenics and swimming. Among the soldiers were two or three that couldn't swim. The cremation of the dead from the air raid was held on the beach. Around 1700 it gets dark and at 1800 it is pitch dark. We are getting used to living in tents. It we didn't have any air raids it would be swell.

Oct. 11, 1942 - Sunday - Clear
The first and third battalions departed from some island. I had to go to Rabaul before 1000 to attend the lecture given by the group commander. The summary of the lecture was - 1 - do not underestimate the enemy, -2- against air attacks take an infallible position. Before returning, I dropped in at the officers club. On the way home, I noticed that several places within the city were damaged by the bombing. Half of the building of the officers club was damaged but they were still operating. In the afternoon I reported to the headquarters as I was the officer of the patrol. The battalion commander told us to be very careful when patrolling as there might be spy movements. Went to Takehara Group - Heidan - Headquarters.

Oct. 12, 1942 - Monday - Clear
In the morning we carried out the training of anti-aircraft fire. When everyone gets tired, even the deployment cannot be carried out completely. When men are fatigued, that is the time when the commander must lead his men. In the afternoon everyone went swimming and on the way back, among the probational officers which were sent from Japan, I met a fellow classmate from the academy. Today I was officer of the day, tomorrow I'm expecting to be in charge of transporting supplies. At night we had an air raid again, and a fire started in the direction of the harbor. From this I thought the enemy was quite superior. The anti-aircraft guns were firing with all heir power.

Oct. 13, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear
I had a pain in my stomach last night so I do not feel so good. From 0700, I was in charge of 20 men from each company and moved the battalion supplies. This was finished before noon. I ate lunch at the harbor and returned to the company by 1200. In the afternoon Mr. Takeda of number 1 section came to see me and told me he left Japan the latter part of Sept. and arrived in Rabaul the first of October. After Mr. Takeda left I went swimming. I received some cigarettes from the company commander. It feels much cooler toward evening than usual. It seems as though there will be no air raid.

Oct. 14, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
Today it is planned to embark at 1400 so we started preparation for departure at 0900. The order was changed and we will embark tomorrow morning. We turned in all our tents and gazed at the moon. Around 1900 it started raining so I went to a native house and slept.

Oct. 15, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
I awoke at 0400 and we debarked at 0500, arriving at Rabaul Harbor at 0600. At 1300 we embarked on the Bengara Maru. We left for the Solomon Islands at 1600. In the sky there isn't a cloud. It seems as though the sky is wishing us luck as we departed. At night I'm expected to sleep beside the anti-aircraft gun on the top deck. Within Rabaul Harbor I saw many ships and vessels. There our ship will be conveyed by a destroyer.

Oct. 16, 1942 - Friday - Clear
I awoke at 0400 and the ship was in the middle of the ocean. About 1000 an island began to appear off the starboard side. At noon we drank a toast. At 1700 we arrived in the naval base in the Shortland Island and we saw many ships outside the harbor. At 1900 we had an air raid and the searchlights sweeping across the sky was really a beautiful sight. Slept on the deck and I saw two cruisers off to one side.

Oct. 17, 1942 - Saturday - Clear
I awoke at 0500 and when I looked around the harbor the many ships and vessels I saw yesterday had already gone out and inside the harbor was very quiet. I spent the forenoon without doing anything. At 1500 we had a boat drill and it took 30 minutes so it is necessary to have more training. In the afternoon we were given out the "yokan" - sweet jelly made of beans - and it was very delicious because I ate it for the first time in a very long while. In the evening we had a squall for about ten minutes, it was a very refreshing night. The crescent moon was shining beautifully.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:09 pm 

Oct. 18, 1942 - Sunday - Clear
We had an air raid about 0300 and they dropped flares near the ship making the night look like daylight. The light of tracer shells fired by our vessel was like a fire cracker. Even when the night was over, enemy planes were still around, the enemy is very self composed. They had a dog fight but it seemed as though thay had ran away. At 1630 we disembarked and made a landing on Shortland Island. We bivouacked in the jungle and made an air raid shelter immediately. We then set up a large tent and went to sleep.

Oct. 19, 1942 - Monday - Cloudy, clearing later
The weather was very unsettled in the morning. They said we were going to move the bivouac area but we didn't move. We spent the morning repairing and camouflaging the trenches.
Items of precaution: 1- don't go out to the beach and 2 - smoke from fires should be avoided. In the evening I had a little fever. It is fun to sleep in the jungles. The night is slowly creeping up and the surroundings are being cloaked by the mantle of darkness.

Oct. 20, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear
From 0200 to daybreak the enemy aircraft were rendezvousing in the sky and during the day they come time and time again. We were supposed to embark but that wasn't decided definitely until supper time. I had to stay in bed all day due to malaria fever. When one has a fever he does not feel like doing anything. Mayeda said he has a fever too so he also staued in bed during the forenoon. At night we had a squall and our tent leaked. I went to sleep early.

Oct. 21, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
Because of a fever, I awoke very early. Today I felt much better. I had a fever of 38 degrees centigrade so army surgeon Saga examined me and he said I had malaria, but then in the afternoon I was up and around. Five men were sent out for unloading the supplies. I had a fever again tonight so I went to sleep early. We had an air raid tonight.

Oct. 22, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
During the afternoon I still had a fever so I stayed in bed. Soldiers in my platoon started construction of an air raid shelter. In the afternoon I played cards with the soldiers until suppertime. After supper I visited 1st Lt. Inoye and talked about everything in general and later wen to see probation officer who lives near the beach and had swida - soda water, etc. Later returning to the company. At noon and 2400 we had air raids. It's very cold tonight.

Oct. 28, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
Today I felt much better and even the food tasted good. In the afternoon I visited battalion gun section and borrowed a bood. (? SW) At that time I heard about our success in the battle of the past two months in the Solomons area. At 1800 we demonstrated cooking with mess kits in the jungle and the 4th enemy plane flew over our heads and I heard the sound of bombs dropping far away.

Oct. 29, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
Today I feel much better and I took the duty as a patrol officer. I made a round of the 8th company and while I was there I got a shave from one of the soldiers. After returning, enemy planes came over. I expected enemy planes to come tonight and as expected they came and raided us as soon as it became dark. After supper when it became dark we went into the jungles to practice cooking in our mess kits and we cooked enough for 8 men. I think it is better to cook by getting a lot of small branches as firewood. It looked as though it would rain but the clouds disappeared.

Oct, 30, 1942 - Friday - Clear
As a patrol officer I carried out my duties without any difficulty. I went to the 8th company to report and then came back. I went to one of the platoons of the battalion gun section and played cards. During the day the enemy planes came over once and I think they came over here for reconnaissance. In the afternoon I took a nap and when I awoke I went to see 1st Lt. Inouye and talked about the war in general. A squall came but it wasn't much. After dark we had another air raid and enemy planes were around all night long.

Oct. 31, 1942 - Saturday - Clear
Today is the last day of October. Since leaving Sumatra, already a month has passed. Today during the forenoon, I read a novel and in the afternoon I took a nap. In the evening we has calisthenics and after that I felt tired. It seems as though we will be leaving here day after tomorrow. I certainly would like to get to the front line as soon as possible. In the evening rookies Mayeda and Sugiyama had a fever. I hope they'll get well quickly as it's just before departing time. We always have an air raid during the day and night. Today enemy planes came before noon. During the middle of the night it started raining.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:12 pm 

Nov. 1, 1942 - Sunday - Cloudy - Later clearing
Today is the first of November and it is raining so I don't feel so good but in the afternoon it cleared so I started feeling good. The runner and the rookies built me a hut from palm leaves. Toward evening another hut was completed. In the afternoon I went to the beach with 2nd Lt. Kato and talked about life in the army. Lance Cpl. Miwa, with three men went to load supplies but came back without doing a thing and said that they had to report back tomorrow for detail. Today we didn't have any air raids.

Nov. 2, 1942 - Monday - Clear
In the morning we went out on maneuvers. We went 1000 meters south of the bivouac area, and since this was the first maneuver in a long while I felt kind of tired. Today I've got a good appetite. In the afternoon after taking a short nap, I went to the command post of the battalion gun section and played cards. I talked with Katasumo who went to the airport that day and he said he met probational officers Shimizu and Doi. He also said Amaniya returned to Japan. During the evening I returned to the beach to cool off. I don't know whether it was Kawadebutai or not but someone was singing until late last night. After midnight we had an air raid.

Nov. 3, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear - Later cloudy
I awoke at 0430 and today is the birthday of Emperor Moiji. The entire company assembled in the field and paid obeissance to the Imperial palace. I think that Japan is having ceremonies too. It reminds me of the Meijisetu (Emperors birthday) which were held during my elementary school days. From noon to (?? SW) Butai got together and staged a show. We built a stage in the jungle. From noon to evening my unit and Isujita Butai got together and staged a show. From my platoon Sugiyama and Shimiou participated. The entire show was very good. After the show the company commander said that the machine gun and infantry sections will remain here, and the rest of the companies will leave for Guadalcanal. I went to sleep early and there were no air raids.

Nov. 4, 1942 Wednesday - Clear - Cloudy - Rain
I awoke at 0430 and the ceremony for reading of the Imperial rescript was held in the assembly field. After breakfast I visited the bivouac area of the 7th company with 1st Lt. Inouye and 2nd Lt. Kato and ate karinto (fried dough cakes) with 1st Lt. Lanai. In the afternoon it started raining and while Inouye, Kato and myself were playing cards 1st Lt. Yamaguchi, who was sent to the airfield, came back in the rain. The departure of the rifle company for Guadalcanal was postponed. It rained at night and after midnight we had an air raid.

Nov. 5, 1942 - Thursday - Cloudy - Sometimes rain
As soon as I awoke I went to the beach head from there I went as far as the 7th company bivouac area. I visited until 0900 and when I returned they were making preparations for departure. We are to embark on the Ampera Maru at 1200 and because of this sudden order to depart I was pretty busy with various things. We embarked around 1400. The ship was hidden near the island. It started raining toward evening. I'm going to sleep with the AA unit. It rained during the night. I played cards and went to sleep around 1900.

Nov. 6, 1942 - Friday - Rain
It rained all day long. There is a rumor that our trip to Guadalcanal was postponed so they say that we will disembark. I played cards and went to sleep. I certainly would like to get to Guadalcanal soon. They say there isn't much water on the ship so we have to economize. In the evening the ship was again hidden near the island.

Nov. 7, 1942 - Saturday - Rain
It is raining again today, First Lt. Kato disembarked to pick out a bivouac area. Thay say that the island we have been bivouacking on up till now is Bougainville Island. First Lt. Kato returned from looking over the bivouac area and he said that the area this time would be much better than the last one. It really is tiresome doing nothing all day long but it is better than staying on land. At night I passed the time away by talking to Lt. Kato about the Java campaign.

Nov. 8, 1942 - Sunday - Cloudy - Rain
Today the weather looks as though it will be better than yesterday. After getting up I went out on deck, The feeling of early morning certainly is refreshing. As a patrol officer I reported to the unit commander. Around 1100 one enemy plane came so we opened up with our AA guns. Afternoon passed without anything happening. At night I went out on the main deck and slept. At 1400 I made a patrol around the ship. Tonight the stars are out and it is beautiful. It has been a long time since I have seen the stars at night.

Nov. 9, 1942 - Monday - Clear
It is a fine day. I spent the morning in the salon. Around 0700 one enemy plane came and these AA guns made by the Indians are very accurate. They say that we are going to leave for Guadalcanal on a destroyer in the afternoon so we completed preparations at 1430. We embarked on a large landing barge to board the destroyer Sukukaze. Inside of the destroyer is much neater than I thought it would be. Until 2300 I heard various stories about the navy from naval officers. They told me that our Imperial navy is the best in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is a really interesting read , could be a book on its own i should think , a lot of folks need to read this to understand both sides were manned by regular people living regular lives that were thrown into this conflict by their governments , not unlike all that have been before and since then ,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:07 am 

It's a bit boring at first, but he's headed for Guadalcanal where his fortunes will take a turn for the worse.

Even though he's forbidden to speak ill of Jap strategy, his frustration comes through clearly. SW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:33 pm 

Nov. 10, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear
I awoke at 0600 but the naval men had been up since 0330. The destroyer left for Guadalcanal at 0900. Life on the destroyer is much better than I had thought and the naval officers are the finest and treated us very good. The armament of our destroyers is the best in the world and the speed is so great that I couldn't stand on the deck. We disembarked at 2200 an landed on Tassafronga, Guadalcanal. For the first time I felt as though I was actually in the battlefield.

Nov. 11, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
After landing while we were making liaisons the night slowly turned to dawn. We started to construct a trench for fear of an air raid. I can hear the constant roar of guns from the front lines. It seems as if our forces aren't firing a single shot as they have no ammunition or rations. Sometimes enemy planes would come and strafe us. It makes me boil with anger when they strafe us like that. We can only cook at night. Every day I see many wounded men. Lt. Kato with 70 men transported rations to the front lines.

Nov. 12, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
On (Guadalcanal) all day long. I can hear the roar of artillery guns in the front lines. The enemy planes flew over the heads of our forces and strafed. Our bivouac received a bombardment from the enemy vessels and the shrapnel was flying all around us. The enemy might attempt a landing so we are in our gun positions. We moved our bivouac to the rear of the battalion command post. At night we transported ammunition to the front lines and it was extremely difficult because of the darkness. Around 2400 it seemed as though there was a sea battle. The shells from our guns and enemy guns were flying all over.

Nov. 13, 1942 - Friday - Clear
I returned from transporting ammunition to our front lines, eight miles one way. Around 0200 Probational officer Katsuro was still transporting ammunition from the beach into the jungles so I helped him. It seemed as though the soldiers were all tired out. After returning to the bivouac area around 0330 I had breakfast. I helped construct a trench until 0700. We didn't have any sleep during the night - everybody was exhausted. Until 1300 the entire platoon slept. Then we began doing various duties. From today on we can only eat one and one half rations a day. There is no way of getting rations. In the evening we had a squall. We are expecting a transport to come tonight.

Nov. 14, 1942 - Saturday - Clear
Last night it rained all night. I couldn't sleep at all because my tent leaked. In comparison with yesterday, the number of enemy planes that came was very few. We completely camouflaged our bivouac area. They issued 15 days rations to everyone. The master sergeant of the 3rd machinegun replacement came back a casualty. Also the regimental adjutant died in action. Tonight the 6th, 7th and 8th companies are expected to arrive, so all of our personnel went down to the beach to unload the ships.

Nov. 15, 1942 - Clear
It seemed as though there was a sea battle. At dawn the enemy planes came strafing and bombing the anticipated landing point of our forces. The noise that the planes and the AAA guns made was a macabre sound. I hope nothing happened to our company at the beach. At 0900 the entire company returned safely. They unloaded all ammunition and rations, but two transports were on fire. The smoke billowing from ships was enveloping the sky. The enemy planes strafed the ground all day long. Tonight we were to have another unloading detail but it was called off. It started raining at midnight.

Nov. 16, 1942 - Monday - Cloudy and rain
Tonight we are to leave for the front lines. As it had rained we had many difficulties. 2nd Lt, Kato left with the advanced party at 0100. The enemy planes came overhead now and then strafing the beach. At the front lines they must be receiving artillery fire as I can hear the noise of the guns once in a while. The rookies were slow in getting prepared so our departure was delayed until 1900. The road was very bad and muddy so there were many men who slipped. But we pushed on towards the front lines.

Nov. 17, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear
We advanced as far as the point where we transported the ammunition the other night. There is still 8 kilometers (over 5 miles) to the front line. Soon it will be daylight so we went into the jungles to bivouac and dug our trenches. We ate breakfast and went to sleep as usual. The enemy aircraft were flying around and would strafe wherever they found a target. They say itis quite easy to spot us if we are nude. (written in pencil from here on) We started marching again in the evening and while the moon was shining we arrived at the entrance of Maruyama Road. This road was very muddy and when the moon was gone the march became very difficult, so we bivouacked in the jungles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:55 pm 

Nov. 18, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
We started out again when dawn was breaking. Even during the day the trail was difficult to follow. After marching about one hour we arrived at our destination, Army Headquarters (CP of Army forces on Guadalcanal). Immediately we started construction of trenches. But since the ground was hard it took us all day. In the vicinity there was a stream, so everyone went there to bathe. They say that our regimental headquarters will return here. I must have been very tired as I fell asleep as soon as I layed down. I didn't even know that the orderly had cooked rice.

Nov. 19, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
Everyone must have been fatigued because they were still sleeping when dawn broke. The orderly is sound asleep too. The 8th company passed us early this morning and reached their bivouac area. According to Probational officer Mayafuse there were 11 transports which came but all were sunk by enemy aircraft. Today I don't feel like moving my body. Miwa had a stomach pain and it turned out to be appendicitis, so he was immediately sent to the line communication hospital. According to the Army surgeon his condition is critical so they will operate on him tomorrow.

Nov. 20, 1942 - Friday - Cloudy
Miwa is sleeping on the bank of the stream, and he won't be operated on till the afternoon. At 1000 Army surgeon Kaneko said his condition is improving so that they will hold up the operation for a while. We pitched tents. All the patients in the vicinity are severely wounded and I wish I could do something for them. According to surgeon Kaneko the operation of Miwa if possible should be performed at 1530. I left for Number one field hospital and on the way there was an artillery attack. I returned to the bivouac area safely and reported to the company commander. Then I went to sleep.

Nov. 21, 1942 - Rain - Cloudy
Today the weather isn't good. At 1200 we had inspection of arms. They say the regimental headquarters will return to our bivouac area. It started raining in the afternoon and the tent started leaking toward evening. Everything was soaked. According to the story of 3rd rifle company Takadra was killed in action. At night it certainly gets cold. I have no strength as we haven't enough salt. We must have a strong mind and not get sick.

Nov. 22, 1942 - Sunday - Clear
This morning when I awoke it was a very fine day. The enemy planes are reconnoitering as usual, In the western direction they are strafing the troops. At noon Probational officer Hayafusa came to visit me and he said that 15 officers and 200 men were killed in action from our regiment. Tomorrow the plan is to dig trenches. In the evening I heard my orders and it seems that the enemy is bringing in reinforcements too. When the men who were at the front lines on detail returned Haichkamayda (? SW) was sent to the front line on a detail.

Nov. 23, 1942 - Monday - Clear
I awoke before reveille. Last night it certainly got cold. When we returned from washing in the stream the soldiers were still asleep. Around noon enemy planes flew over our heads. Then we had an inspection of bayonets. We constructed emplacements and camouflaged the vicinity of our bivouac area. I sent section leader Shimazawa to see what the condition of Miwa had been since the last time I saw him. I believe he will come home tonight. Suzuki and Sato went on a ration detail. All day long the guns were roaring on the front.

Nov. 24, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear
Section leader Shimazawa went to see Miwa yesterday came back last night saying his condition has greatly improved. Isamu Tukeshita and Yukio Mechizuki returned to the company. Lance Cpl. Katsumeta is working at the engineers headquarters. The enemy planes are flying around as usual. The guns of the ships are constantly roaring. Bombs were dropped in the vicinity of the command post and there were many casualties. I think and hope the regiment will return tomorrow. According to reports enemy transports have come in. The next half month is of great importance so we must fight hard.

Nov. 25, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
During the day there isn't much change. The enemy planes are around as usual. I exchanged patrol reports with Probational officer Hayafusa and went to visit Probational Hageyan and returned. While we were cooking there were flares. Maybe they discovered our position. After we finished cooking and while we were sleeping enemy planes strafed us. I jumped out of bed and found that Watamabo had been wounded in the arm. There was one casualty from our company. Miwa and Showshau Yamamoto returned from the hospital.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:02 pm 

Nov. 26, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
I awoke and found that we will have another beautiful day. In the forenoon when I finished gun inspection they were saying that we were going to the beach for guard duty. In the afternoon the Co. Commander said that we were going to guard the beach near the entrance to Maruyama Road. We left at 2100 and left Miwa Shimzawa, Shimizu and Watnabo behind. Since our departure was late and we couldn't reach our destination we bivouacked near the Uima River. In the afternoon Probational officers Masuda and Komo wer3e in the best of health, and that evening Probational officers Kikuchi, Takadera and Sawamura were killed in action. Probational officers Fujii, Takashima, Henda, Satsugawa, Sato and Oki were wounded.

Nov. 27, 1942 - Friday - Clear
We went to the beach early in the morning and when it became light we went to the Suimu River (ammunition distribution point) and constructed trenches. Then we rested the balance of the day. The enemy planes couldn't locate our positions, but they strafed the beach. They flew so low we could see the planes clearly. I came in this morning and slept till evening. At 1800 we went to guard the beach, but since we couldn't find a suitable position we climbed. We climbed 1000 meters from the entrance to Maruyama Road and bivouacked. Immediately we started cooking, we cooked only one third of one ration. We rested.

Nov. 29, 1942 - Saturday - Clear
Last night I slept on top of the shelter and when I awoke the sun was already up. The enemy planes are constantly strafing around the beach area and entrance to Maruyama Road. Strafing by enemy planes was very fierce. I slept all day long in the shelter, but with only one third ration I was very hungry. We must hold out a little longer and our planes will come and then victory will be ours. Tomorrow the first and second platoons are expected to guard the beach. The company will stay at the present place for four or five days.

Nov. 29, 1942 - Sunday - Clear
Today enemy planes did not come. When enemy planes don't come it is very calm. According to todays reports, the enemy attempted landings at the Tassafronga area but were unsuccessful. We completed preparations for battle on our front. At 1500 we went for ammunition at the upper stream of the Isamu River. The first and third platoons reported to both sides of the Isamu to guard the beach. From evening on artillery shells began to drop in the entrance to the Maruyama River. After I went to sleep I still heard the roar of artillery fire.

Nov. 30, 1942 - Monday - Clear - Then rain
Today as usual enemy planes are flying around and strafing. The enemy artillery bombardment of last night ceased at dawn. In the morning we pitched tents on top of our shelters. I drizzled in the afternoon. Around 1600 I heard a terrific soundof guns and rifles on the beach so I communicated regarding enemy positions. With the cooperation of our planes, I felt very strong today. Our artillery fire continued into the night. At night I ate rice gruel. As usual I fell asleep immediately. Today is the last day of November tomorrow is already December.

Dec. 1, 1942 - Tuesday - Cloudy
Toay the enemy planes didn't come over very much. This morning Cpl. Katsumata brought me some coconuts. I certainly felt refreshed when I drank the juice. During the day I slept in the shelter. The majority of men in our platoon have the fever. At the present time there are only 8 men in our platoon who are fit for combat. From the last bivouac area Cpl. Shimasawa and four men joined us. According to todays intelligence information results of the sea battle were one enemy battleship, two enemy cruisers and two destroyers sunk. Other than that it is said 1000 sacks and many sweet goods are expected to arrive, so I felt very strong.

Dec. 2, 1942 - Rain
Today the activities of enemy planes is very lively. Lance Cpl. Katsumata and myself went to the beach to get coconuts, and we brought back a great deal. In the afternoon Probational officer Mori came to visit me and I heard of the various conditions of the regiment. He said Oki was killed in action. Probational officer Mesuda is missing in action. In the evening I got a fever and a temperature of 39.4 Centigrade. Today we had a lecture by the group commander and he told us it is a little while longer that we must hold out.

Dec. 3, 1942 - Thursday - Drizzle from evening
Today enemy isn't so active in the air. When the planes do not come it certainly is restful. My head feels very heavy from the fever I had yesterday. I had the orderly cool my head. It seems Lt. Sugiyama still has a fever. I was ordered to alternate with the guard commander Inoye in commanding the beach guards. Tomorrow I am expecting to alternate with him. I feel groggy on account of the fever. I went to report and after that I went to sleep. It started raining from evening on. I really hate rain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 pm 

Dec. 4, 1942 - Friday - Rain
Today the enemy didn't come around all day and the weather was clear, but I still wasn't feeling good. In the morning I alternated guard duty with 1st Lt. Inoye. For this reason my responsibilities have become very great. While I am on duty I do not want any casualties among my men if it is humanly possible. The positions aren't completed but since I have a fever I can't do just what I want to do. Toward evening my fever increased and I dread being sick. At night I couldn't move around as I would have liked. At least I can eat coconuts as there is a tree near me.

Dec. 5, 1942 - Saturday - Clear
We had fine weather but since I still have a fever, my food does not taste good. I ate rice gruel. At least I drank plenty of coconut milk. In the afternoon I saw two enemy ships off shore that looked like destroyers. The number of enemy planes that came was very few. Around 1530 they dropped one bomb about 1500 meters away from here, but no casualties tonight. I guess we will get an enemy attack and I hope my fever will drop.

Dec. 6, 9142 - Sunday - Clear
It is very clear and since I have no fever I feel fine. I awoke early and went to the river to bathe and wash my clothes. On the way back enemy planes came and strafed, even though it is Sunday. The enemy is certainly active from early morning, and they were very active during the day. From 1500 yesterday, our battalion was put under the command of the second battalion. After breakfast I went on reconnaissance of the beach for the whole day with Cpl. Uyematsu of the 5th company. In the morning I sent back Anagsa Suzuki of the 1st platoon to his company. Goro Yamamoto and Kan Suzuki of the 1st platoon came to the beach for guard duty. Nishio's physical condition is very bad.

Dec. 7, 1942 - Monday - Clear - 3 enemy vessels
This morning I sent Sato out liaison with the company and there wasn't anything new happing there from last night. Communication is good but today they sent two men to keep us in touch with battalion headquarters. From 0900 to 1600 enemy vessels bombarded us especially the beach area, so we withdrew all our special sentries. Projectiles fell all around the shelters and in the neighboring unit ten men were killed. Towards evening the firing ceased and everything became calm. I wonder what my parents are doing. Anticipating an attack tomorrow morning, we slept with our gaiters on.

Dec. 8, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear - 4 enemy vessels
I awoke at 0700 and the entire guard unit assembled before the shelter and worshipped the Emperor, and we also paid a silent tribute to the soldiers who died in battle. It is exactly one year since the declaration of war. Both the enemy and our forces were quiet all day. They strafed the entrance of Maruyama Road once or twice. There were no enemy artillery barrages so we passed the day safely. I hope tomorrow will be like today. Lance Cpl. Katsumata climbed a coconut and knocked down plenty of nuts. In the afternoon the first section went to catch crabs and we had a delicious crab supper. The coconuts were also delicious. I'm expecting to alternate with Isamu Takeshita Shoichi Sato as they are both not feeling well. They say Nanishio, Mayeda and Kanchara aren't feeling very well, either. It seems I have received my commission as 2nd Lt. on DEc. 1st but as of yet I have seen no order.

Dec. 10, 1942 - No entry for this day

Dec. 11, 1942 - Saturday - Clear - 3 enemy vessels and a transport

Today enemy planes flew at a high altitude but didn't do anything. Enemy vessels were offshore, but since they didn't do any firing - we all felt relieved. We only got one third ration and our stomachs are empty, but we must hold on a little longer. On the 15th our planes will come. We ate plenty of coconuts and drank plenty of milk. From tomorrow, Katsumaia and four men and Shimizawa and his four men will alternate with their duties. We passed the day safely. All hope the men on guard duty will not meet with any accidents.

Dec. 12, 1942 - No entry
Dec. 13, 1942 - No entry
Dec. 14, 1942 - No entry
Dec. 15, 1942 - No entry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:45 pm 

Dec. 16, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
We awoke at 0230 and continued on our way at daybreak. We arrived in the vicinity of the entrance to Maruyama Road. We took our rations to the man in charge of battalion rations. This ended my mission. Last night Joichi Matsumara of the 1st platoon died of sickness so we buried him near the bivouac area. In the morning I went to Provisional officer Hayafusa's tent and slept as I was very tired. In the afternoon I felt refreshed. I pitched tent and fixed my bunk. Enemy artillery is comparatively active and enemy planes are flying around as usual. At night I must have been tired as I fell asleep immediately.

Dec. 17, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
Today I feel rather tired. Enemy planes are quite active this morning. Nosayashi found some bacon on the beach so the entire personnel ate it. Today I received orders to go draw rations so I left at 2000. I decided to bivouac 1000 meters past Tassafronga. In the battalion gun section, two men died from sickness at noon. Probational officer Matsuro isn't feeling well. I hear from 2nd Lt. Kato that Probational officer Yamamoto died in action.

Dec. 18, 1942 - Friday - Clear
I awoke at 0300 and marched two hours in the jungle in the vicinity of the hospital and rested there. I departed at 1000 with two men and the remaining men will be in the charge of Cpl. Sato who will leave with them around 1600. I arrived safely at Cape Esperance at 1400. Today provisions didn't come in so I decided to stay here. Until th etransport comes in we can only eat about 8 shaku per day. (not sure of the actual measurement, but it's apparently barely enough to sustain life, SW)

Dec. 19, 1942 - Saturday - Clear
When I awoke I contacted section leader Sato who said on the way they were strafed by enemy planes and Satoru Oaki was killed. I was shocked, but I guess that is fate. I went to draw rations at 1000, but they told me to come back at 1600. When I went back at 1600, they asked me to come at 1600 tomorrow so I sent Sato and four men to the ration distribution point. Today I slept early and didn't eat any rice so my stomach feels empty.

Dec. 20, 1942 - Sunday - Clear
The weather is fine this morning. I went to the beach where I saw plenty of crabs. Since we didn't have any more rations we cooked and ate them. I sent the entire personnel to the upper stream to get yams. At 1400 I went to the ration distribution point, and they told us we could have one day's rations so I felt quite happy. Cpl. Umio and 30 men returned to the unit with rations. Men who went to get yams returned at 1500 with a tent full. I saw 4 enemy ships sailing westward.

Dec. 21, 1942 - Monday - Clear
This morning we ate yams and fried rice. At noon we filled our stomachs with yam soup. I didn't even dream we could eat things like that on Guadalcanal. Well, I guess I can die any time now. At 1300 I went to the ration dump, but they didn't know whether rations would come in or not. Tomorrow evening I am going back to the company. Enemy planes were not active all day. I ate so much at breakfast and dinner I couldn't eat much at supper. Rain is falling and I went to sleep immediately.

Dec. 22, 1942 - Tuesday - Evening rain
I decided to start back to the company this evening. Katsuma and three men went to get more yams. At 1300 they came back with many pineapples. It has been such a long time since I tasted pineapple I really enjoyed them. Today I feel really tired. We left at 1600 but at the entrance we met battalion runners Suzuki and two men so I changed my plans and decided to return tomorrow evening. Masaichi Sato died on the 18th and Ismau Takeshita died of sickness. Both were from my company. 2nd Lt. Matsuro died of sickness. Something must be done about rations soon. I wonder what they are doing at home.

Dec. 23, 1942 - Wednesday - Cloudy and rain
Since this morning I've had a little fever and my body felt tired so I slept all day. At 1230 I went to the ration depot and they said rations won't be here until around the 28th. On the way back I visited Lt. Koike and heard about the situation. He also said they are expecting rations on the 27th or 28th. I decided to depart for our company at 1600. The men were very tired. At 1610 I started out with 7 men and after marching 30 minutes I was very tired. We rested several times on our return trip and slept in the coconut grove at 2100. It is a beautiful night. We awoke at 0200 and continued on our way. We planned to rest during the day in the jungle near the hospital. While we were laying down, M. Sgt. Konagi and 2 men of the 5th company ordered us to return to Cape Esperance to draw rations. I sent Superior Pvts. Mobayashi and Uruno to the company with a message. We departed for the cape at 1100 and on the way filled our stomachs with coconuts. Then we continued our march. We ate supper near the place where the Yamasuki Maru sank and slept there through the night. It's a beautiful moonlit night and the sound of waves brought back memories of days in Japan and I thought I was sleeping at home.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:00 pm 

Dec. 25, 1942 - Friday - Cloudy
We left at 0700 and decided to bivouac in the jungle close to the ration depot. At 0700 we ate breakfast and at 0800 M/Sgt. Konagai and five men went out to butcher some cows. That left only two of us here. I slept till noon and more in the afternoon. I had a fever and felt very tired. I slept under a mosquito bar till evening. When I'm sick I worry about the folks back home and men in the company. We ate supper on the grass in the coconut grove. Since today is Christmas, no enemy planes came.

Dec. 26, 1942 - Saturday - Afternoon rain
About 0400 an enemy gunboat came about 100 meters from shore and fired at the beach with machine guns. In the forenoon enemy planes were very active, but there was no damage on our side. I went to the ration depot but there is no chance of getting provisions. M/Sgt. Konagai and four men left at 1400 to get papayas and bamboo sprouts. We planned on going back tomorrow so we went to get yams again in the rain. About 1700 M/Sgt. Watanabe of the regimental headquarters - formerly of the 5th company - arrived so we asked him to stay with us. I couldn't sleep for worrying about the men who went for papayas as they did not return.

Dec. 27, Sunday - Clear
Today we had fine weather all day. In the morning I went to see Lt. Loike and he said that a battleship would bring in provisions tonight. For lunch we cooked papayas and bamboo sprouts. Today I have a fever and feel tired. There isn't much enemy air activity. Cpl. Okada and 24 men arrived and at the same time M/Sgt. Konagai returned with plenty of yams. I could not sleep all night with enemy planes reconnoitering. At 2300men from the company left to get more yams.

Dec. 28, 1942 - No entry

Dec. 29, 1942 - Tuesday - Clear
At 0800 M/Sgt. Konagai and Cpl. Okada went to see about provisions and returned at 1300 with a sack and a half of rice. It was so little that it was pitiful and tears came into my eyes. They say that provisions will come in regularly from now on. I decided to leave here at 2300. Cpl. Okada and five men will remain as liaison. Superior Pvt. Kirata and two men have sore legs so I ordered them to leave tomorrow. We departed at 2330 and since the men were tired we took a break every 30 minutes.

Dec. 30, 1942 - Wednesday - Clear
In the afternoon we had a squall. We continued on our march safely and at 0330 we passed the grassy plain. I ordered the unit into the jungles where we usually stop. Then I went to visit Oaki's grave. At 0830 M/Sgt. Konagai and two men left in advance. The soldiers went after coconuts, bringing back over 100. We boiled yams all day and ate. In the afternoon it rained for awhile. At 1050 we departed expecting to sleep near where the Myushu Maru sank. I felt refreshed when we got to the beach. In the evening Kirhea and two men caught up with as and this made me very happy.

Dec. 31, 1942 - Thursday - Clear
We left at 0230 and at 0300 we arrived at Maruyama Road near Tassafronga where we bivouacked at 0800. I met Lt. Yamaguchi and turned over 8 of my men to him. We departed at 1000, arriving at battalion headquarters at 2300. The battalion commander is worried about provisions. Everybody is hoping they will arrive soon. I went to visit the graves of five men who died from sickness in my platoon to honor their souls. Today is the last of 1942. Katsumata went to draw rations. I felt very thankful.

Jan. 1, 1943 - Friday - Clear
I awoke at 0400 and went to the stream to bathe. At 0600 we gathered together and with the battalion commander leading, we cheered the Emperor, ending the ceremony with obeisance to him. Here it is new years and I felt depressed as there is no food. From our company, three more men died from sickness. 1st Lt. Yamaguchi's ration detail returned without a thing. As it is new years, everyone's spirits are high. We expect to keep our spirits high until Guadalcanal falls. I wonder what theyare doing at home.

Jan. 2, 1943 - Saturday - Clear
We went with Lt. Inouye to get coconuts. Matsumata went up two trees helping us bring back 35 nuts apiece. I felt very sick after returning to the company so I slept all day. Received a call from a sentry saying Kiriji Najima was very sick and at 1600 he passed away. This makes six persons we have lost from our platoon, and I hope it will be the last.

Jan. 3, 1943 - Sunday - Clear
In the morning I went to the sentry post to bury the men who died yesterday. Today I was feeling bad so I slept. While I was sleeping at noon an order came from the battalion on Mt. Austin. At 1200I became the transmitter of orders and went ot division for them. They told me they didn't need anyone like that so I received this order and returned to the company. While I was there I received cigarettes from the company commander. I also had Karinto (fried dough cake) from the division commander and chief of staff. I was ordered to be acting battalion adjutant.

Jan. 4, 1943 - Monday - Clear
This morning at 0830 I went with the battalion commander to divisional headquarters. I was introduced to the regimental commander for the first time and he received me very cordially. They gave me some comfits. Received 1.8 gallons of hardtack from Suguira Company. 61 men from the Butai arrived at 1500. We decided to bivouac at the present place tonight. I met Makusame for the first time in a long while. He was healthier than I thought he would be. We were both overjoyed to tears.

Jan. 5, 1943 - Tuesday - Clear
We left regimental headquarters at 0400. We received orders to advance from the entrance of Maruyama Road. The mountain is very steep and bad so I think the unit will be very late in reaching its destination. We arrived at 1300 at the headquarters of Lt. Butai. I met Lt. Okajima of the 8th company and we were very happy to see each other. I was deeply indebted to M/Sgt. Nishijima for everything he did for me as I stayed at the 8th company at their bivouac area.

Jan. 6, 1943 - Wednesday - Clear
Around 0800 the machine guns came up from the rear and were taken to the 8th company. Nine men and myself were ordered to report to the headquarters of the Oka Butai. The road was so bad our advance was difficult and slow. At 1400 we arrived at headquarters and immediately were placed under the command of Major Nagaki and left for the front. We exchanged news and he said the enemy was constructing a position on top of Nageyama (Bald Mt.). I decided to go see Major Inagaki tomorrow. I slept well as I was fatigued. It poured during the night.

Jan. 7, 1943 - Thursday - Clear
I went with Lt, Abe to the front lines to see Major Inagaki. The nemy is 100 meters beyond us, so rifle fire was terrific, especially around 1600. From evening we started receiving enemy artillery fire. We rested all day. My legs were sore, but at night I slept well. I hope we'll execute a night attack as I want to eat enemy food.

END OF DIARY
It was taken from a Japanese Prisoner at Vella Lavella Sept. 10, 1943