Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: holocaust survivors book to become movie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Holocaust survivor’s life bound for big screen
By David Unze • dunze@stcloudtimes.com • February 8, 2009

Henry Oertelt doesn’t go to the movies much and he won’t be watching any of the Holocaust films that are in theaters this year.

Why would he go see something he lived?

Still, Oertelt, 88, hopes to make an exception to that rule.

An independent film company has purchased the rights to Oertelt’s book with plans to make a feature film. “An Unbroken Chain: My Journey Through the Nazi Holocaust” details Oertelt’s experiences as a young Jew who survived five concentration camps. He has spoken about his life to audiences at St. Cloud State University, received an honorary degree from the university and read his book for podcasts that are available on the Web site of the campus radio station.

“It’s exciting, and I’m very proud,” Oertelt said of having his book made into a film. “If I would be physically able to (go see it at the theater) of course I would.”

His book is about “what happens when hate goes out of control and people support it,” Oertelt said. The book chronicles 18 incidents, each of which could have led to Oertelt’s death. Those 18 “links” create the chain of Oertelt’s survival.

A chance meeting in the Virgin Islands led to the movie idea.

Stephanie Silverman Houser, of independent film company launch flix, was on sabbatical and vacationing there when she met Oertelt’s granddaughter, who gave her a copy of “An Unbroken Chain.”

“When I read the book, I knew I wanted to be involved and adapt it into a film,” Silverman Houser said. “It moved me.”

She plans to film in Europe and hopes to attract a major name to play Oertelt. The movie will tell the story from his teenage and young adult years and will be aimed at teenagers as an adventure story, she said.

Oertelt said he had thoughts that his book one day might be made into a movie. Others have approached him and suggested he try.

When Silverman Houser entered the picture, it didn’t take long for the two to develop a strong relationship, he said. She came to his Twin Cities-area home and spent several days discussing the book, his life and possible movie plans. He has no doubts that she will be true to his story and embrace the importance of passing the Holocaust story to future generations.

“I’m very relaxed about it and have great confidence in her,” Oertelt said.

They keep in touch via e-mail, and Oertelt also uses podcasts and blogging to spread his message.

During a visit last year to St. Cloud State, he spoke to a class of ninth-graders at a school in Fort McMurray, Alberta, via interactive television.

“I’m not an expert by any means,” he said of his technological expertise, “but I know the importance of talking about this and reaching kids in particular.”

Oertelt has spoken to classes and other groups for decades and continues to work with St. Cloud State to digitize Holocaust artifacts and to create audio recordings of his experiences.

“He understands the importance of technology in saving and sharing his witness,” said Barry Schreiber, criminal justice professor at St. Cloud State. Schreiber calls Oertelt “a local treasure” and has worked closely with him to arrange Oertelt’s visits and talks here, his podcasts and the preservation of his Holocaust artifacts.

“As the last living witnesses to the Nazi Holocaust disappear, there will be more and more doubts,” Schreiber said. “It’s important to get as much documented as we can. There will be Holocaust deniers in 100 years, and they can decide when they listen to him whether it has any truth to it.”

Oertelt said he is saddened by recent news about an uptick in incidences of anti-Semitism in Germany and of the deniers he meets when he speaks in Minnesota.

He also likes to point out that, in all the years of telling his story, only once or twice has a denier actually spoken to him face to face. The others choose anonymity.

“It’s a frustrating thought that people hate and don’t look at the other side. They are deniers and they look at the adage ‘Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up,’” he said. “Maybe one way is if the movie comes out.”

Post subject: Re: holocaust survivors book to become movie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:18 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

As horrible as it was, I'm glad to see that the experiance was recorded for future generations. And made into a movie. I gotta see it when it comes out!

ImageImageImageCharlie...