Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Dutch will not forget
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:32 pm 
International Man of Mystery

Today, exactly 70 years ago the Germans invaded our country.
Many say that it took the Germans only 4 days to overrun our army and occupy Holland.
I say, our Armed Forces fought as well as they could with the equipment they had against an Army that could not be defeated at that time.
It took 5 years and the help of the allies to get back our freedom on May 5th 1945.

We will not forget........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqb58cSE ... re=related]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgV3-a5FE80]

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject: Re: The Dutch will not forget
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Same here !

A

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

had the rest of the world had any balls leading up to this event the germans would not have been able to pull that off ,

i understand the facts , i know the rest of the world preferred to think that the war to end all wars should have put peace first in everyone's mind , but thinking peace and ignoring facts , and talking like chambrlain didnt stop the likes of hitler

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:57 am 
Major
Major

I think the U.S. waited too long to enter the war. We should have declared War when the Germans made the move into Belgium. Heck, we didn't enter till 18 months later; and it took an attack on us to make us make that move. We waited till we were attacked. By then France had fallen and Europe was in the lap of Hitler. How long were we going to wait?...till England fell? They were in deep trouble.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:58 pm 

I think it was something of that time M14man.
The Dutch waited a long time before they started strengthening their defensive lines.
It took us until the Germans invaded Poland on September 1st 1939.
A couple of months later it was our turn to get invaded.
I think the Dutch Government underestimated the Germans and leaned too much on their policy of staying neutral.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:08 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Hitler & Stalin should both have been murdered. Mussolini? I think he was too stupid - and broke - to get the world in very much trouble. SW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:21 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Given some of the history Iv'e read over the years, I get the impression that FDR was playing political games and backdoor deals at the time. The fact of Pearl Harbor would not allow him to play the neutral game any longer, then it turned into "never let a good crisis go to waste" in his mind.
I've been to the Netherlands and did the Nijmegan March in 1984, those people are still appreciative after all these years. Yes, I believe we should have gotten involved sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:23 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

again thank you for reviving , most of us are still here on this one , lets see how we all weigh in after all these years , i for one think FDR was no different than any president of any party might have been , reluctant to give in to the inevitable and cringing at the thought of what it might all mean , cost and what it might do to this country , that - i would offer to any who have and do hold the office , not giving quarter but simple understanding of the predicament they did not select ,

that said and in hind sight [which is generally 20-20 depending on your political persuasion] i think we should have acted more decisively in so many ways , but we did not live in those times , i do remember my parents , grandparents , and yes a couple great grandparents even , but i would be hardput to define them in today's terms , they thought differently than i do , they lived very different lives , they were much closer to the roots of the family than i could be ,

there were two sides to my family then - one german and one scot , one catholic and one methodist , both were fiercely holding to their roots but one trying desperately to be the americans they had become for near 100 years , in the end both prevailed but i lost a bit of my heritage as a result- the german side kept that from me , they also closeted the deafness of my great grandmother because it was considered a defect , i might have spoken a second language and i might have spoken on my hands as my mother and grandmother did - but i think i was deprived of that by society of that time ,

so to sum up our late to the party to join the war , i understand the reluctance , i understand the politics and regrets , i also understand that we were "IN" long before we joined , our lend lease program , the flyers in china and england , what i never quite got was our head-in-the-sand attitude in the pacific ,

yet maybe i just answered my own questions - in those days our attitudes toward orientals was no less than our attitudes toward blacks , all too much dismissive , never having actually respected their [both] contributions to what this country was and why that was so , as well as respect for what they might be as an adversary , guess we learned that the hard way ...

couple days to pearl harbor day , hope i see it remembered but not holding my breath , i keep that day and VJ day as well , its what took my father and brought him back , its what made me and was not forgotten in my household , there is so much to say but i think ill pass the baton