Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ...it broke the monotony....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:31 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...on my last Med. Cruise in '76,one of the nice breaks was getting to fly off the carrier...this particular day,mission consisted of Helo flight to take Intel photos of ruski's that had been following us around,just to let them know we were watching them too... :lol ...but before we did that we were part of the helo's that were up before the rest of the flight ops began,and fly rescue in case of any launch mishaps,then we were released for some fun flying....I got to sit in back with all my camera gear and tethered to the inside fuselage with a waist belt with my camera gear until such time after all the aircraft were launched we could go have out fun and I could shoot my pics .....about halfway thru the flight operations we hear "MAN OVERBOARD,MAN OVERBOARD".... and lots of chatter in my ears....the helo drastically changed course and sped up....next thing I know,the 2 aircrew are in the door and lowering a harness...I stayed back pretty much just looking over their shoulders....I could see a body down in the ocean kinda half wallowing around and grab the harness with one arm only-did not put it on-just held on...they started pulling him up...poor fella turned out to be wearing an officers uniform-no flight deck gear-no flotation of any type on him-he was cold as a popsicle and incoherant,and it took all 3 of us to haul him in....we immediately flew back to the carrier(werent all that far away in the first place,and handed him over to the medics standing by,then tokk off again to finish off flight ops before going on the rest of the flight....below is a shot of us picking up the guy that was taken from the carrier by one of the sighting team-I'm the li' whitehelmet in the middle between the 2 aircrew as we were looking down on him-maybe hard to see....this is a cellcam shot of the 8x10 that hangs on my wall in the manroom-so lousy resolution for detail...

....we find out after we got back what happened.....the guy was a green rookie ensign from the resident F-4 squadron...one of the crew on one of his squadrons Phantom's had forgotten his emergency radio,and this fella was told to run it out to him on the flight deck before launch...dummass did NOT put on any helmet,flotation,ear protection-nuthin'.....strolled out onto the flight deck like it was a walk in the park....as he approached the plane,another F-4 was turning to head for the catapults-the exaust hit this idiot-picked him up like a leaf in a windstrorm,and blew him over the side.............70 feet fall from flight deck to waterline.....somehow he survived-singed,but kept enough wits about him to tread water till we got there....he had one arm messed up(which 'splains why he only held on with one) and had some internal injuries from the 'splat' but survived-and learned a lesson.....thanked us profusely from sick bay when we stopped by to see him-I wonder where he is today??? :rotflma: :rotflma: :rotflma:
....second pic below of me sittin in the door by one of the aircrew guys with when I handed him my camera after we dropped of the guy and went on......just one of those memorable days to break the boring day... :bigrin:

Post subject: Re: ...it broke the monotony....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:01 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

A green rookie for sure! like he could have delegated at least part of that - got the radio himself but gave it to a deck ape to hand up.

Man that had to be a rush drifting through the air prior to impact! :-o Plenty of time to think things like... "it ain't the fall that hurts you - it's the sudden stop"! :-o :-o SW

(I never did care much for helicopter rides. :? )

Post subject: Re: ...it broke the monotony....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

"I never did care much for helicopter rides. "

i tend to agree but in this case it sure as hell beats the alternative :D