[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Thanksgiving 1969

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanksgiving 1969
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:08 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

After part of 68 and 69 in beautiful SE Asia, I was actually home for Thanksgiving! What a sweet feeling! I cannot possibly describe the feeling of extreme elation when I could see the ranch from the plane. Damn! I was alive! And home!

There were a few cultural issues to be dealt with like, "Mom, would you pass the f***ing salt?" :oops: Big oops! Or dropping flat on the floor when bro or sisters would slam a door or drop something big. But nothing was really made of it. Dad knew & I think he tipped everyone else off.

Dinner was great! Real food! Cooked by Mom! Sisters helped and were duly complimented on their emerging cooking skills. Pigged OUT!

In the evening, things began to drag on so I excused myself and drove into town where I ran into a friend from HS.

"Man! Good to see you again!!" None of this PC 'thanks for your service' horse crap. ( which pi$$es me off to this very day.) Well, I was glad to see him, too! He had some refreshments & we drove around. He soon saw a girl he knew from a nearby small town who had a friend with her. They were also bored & jumped in to share a bottle o' vino with us. A girl who got in the back seat with me & introduced herself. Lord have MERCY she was pretty! A 17 y/o HS student. I didn't feel it was sinful to be with a teenager - heck, I was one, too! 19 going on 35.

We hit it off very well. Said she liked my tan. I liked her dimples and dazzling smile. I was so stricken, I forgot to be all nervous like I had been around cuties and other people in general. Which might not make much sense... and I'm really not able to explain it or why I just didn't feel "normal".

If you've ever read 'All Quiet on the Western Front' there's a scene in which the protagonist becomes wounded. On a hospital train, a nurse tells him to get in a bunk with clean white sheets. He just doesn't feel right about soiling clean sheets. That feeling is as close as I can come to describing it.

Later that week, the girl introduced me to her parents so we could continue to date. I was nervous about that, but they were cool with everything. I saw her nearly every day.

The 30 days passed in a flash & it was time to go back. I had already signed up for Viet Nam again and now had cause to regret it. Mom said she couldn't stand to see me leave so Dad drove me over to a nearby town where there was an airport. I tossed my stuff in the car & noticed my younger sister physically expressing her grief. I was struck dumb - I had never in my wildest dreams imagined anybody actually cared. It was tough to get in the car.

Much to my surprise the girl was waiting for us in town. She had called to see when I was leaving and asked to accompany Dad & I to the airport. That had a profound effect on me, too.

I quickly ran out of things to talk about. Not easy to conversate with a basketball sized lump in your throat. She seemed to understand and held my hand tightly.

And WAY too quickly there was the airport. The airplane had one engine fired up already so it was a quick smacker good bye. She was also expressing her abject grief... which was very, very hard for me to take. I wanted desperately to comfort her.

Dragging my butt on that plane was THE hardest thing I have ever done. Some tough grunt I was! But I held it together. Somehow.

Two weeks later I was in Viet Nam again. It hadn't changed so you could tell. The girl wrote and I did see her again when I got out. We dated a while, but I wasn't right in the head & we went our separate ways. I will always think well of her.

I will always fondly remember that Thanksgiving, too. For the first time, I felt truly close to my family. And for the first time, I was actually thankful. SW

Post subject: Re: Thanksgiving 1969
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

happy thanksgiving hogger , and thanks for that memory ,

only thing i remember about thanksgiving 69 was my mother fell on the ice and broke her ankle , spent a good deal of it helping her out

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:24 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Thanks for sharing!! Happy Thanksgiving Yesterdays Weaponeers!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:18 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

ahhh....youth~ :crzy:

we ALL do things, and wonder 'how the heck did I survive that?"

but YOU must tell everyone here the story about...."THERE ARE TIGERS IN NAM"................

everyone~ beg him!!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

hogger is a natural born writer, has some books to his credit.......but the tiger story is THE best~ and only HE can tell it right :jmp:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:27 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Ya, lets hear it!! Sounds Awesome so far!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:40 pm 

Nobody would ever believe it - I sure didn't. SW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

What, tigers in Nam??? Please, please, please, tell us. (is that sufficient begging?)

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:16 pm 

The problem is that over the years my memory works inconsistently. In fact I just deleted a post I wrote a few years ago because it just didn't seem probable anymore.

Same with the tigers - sounds very improbable even to me, and I was there. They would sneek into our little fort at Cam LO - probably to attempt eating one of the little mutts we had. They could smell bad guys in the next county & were an excellent alarm system. They must have tasted good, too. Most often they would have been the main course in some Cam Lo hovel.

Tigers - it could have been just one - left footprints all over the compound. Guys would walk to the shower in the buff carrying only a towel and shaving kit... and a 45 auto or M16.

One night while on watch I heard scuffling beneath my bunker. Parked there were a couple light trucks that had voided warranties courtesy of a Chinese land mine. It would have been a likely place for a sapper to lurk while preparing satchel charges.

Leaning out of the bunker, I called the Sgt's name. (Poor form to drop a grenade on NCOs while they were doing their biz.) No Sgt, but a tiger burst from a ruined truck and into the wire.

We had several layers of barbed wire infested with claymores, mines and trip flares. Zip! The tiger dashed through them at a dead sprint setting nothing off.

Somebody popped a parachute flare and at least six people opened up on full auto. I have shot enough coyotes & deer to know it was not hit. It was instantly gone.

We would encounter sign occasionally on patrol. I never saw actual proof but suspected them of dining on deceased NVA when the opportunity presented itself.

As the years go by, it gets harder to speak of such things not the least because of the many posers who tell all manner of lies hoping to impress the gullible.

Then, while in college, I soon discovered people didn't or wouldn't allow themselves to believe things that actually occurred.

At a party one evening while under the influence and like a fool, I related an incident involving napalm during which there was raucous laughter. I was told I would be a mass murderer sooner rather than later.

At another social occasion, I mentioned said tigers. A cutie thereupon told me with confidence there no tigers in Viet Nam, and my story was impossible.

"Well, excuse me, Miss Cutie. I must have been mistaken; I'm quite mad, you see. Please forgive me and accept this goblet of Wild Giraffe banana wine by way of an apology."

So believe what you will, Friends. I am still not right in the head. SW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...you will enjoy it... :Dbounce:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Rumor has it tigers roam the DMZ in Korea. It has become a wildlife sanctuary..of sorts. Lots of Marines shot a gators at Guadalcanal from what I've read from Leckie. BTW, his book is better than the show on HBO.

Best Regards,

Mark

I would guess the tiger smelled your trash. Time Magazine has just published an issue of wildlife no longer being hunted and becoming pests in the USA. It's a front page story too. Pictures of deer in people's houses and beers all around. Tigers are not too far off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:52 pm 

Deer in the yard are common. They are shameless mooches!

74990059.jpg
74990059.jpg [ 188.91 KiB | Viewed 11225 times ]

Not that much edible trash around. Kids from Cam Lo carried it off every evening. A tiny girl with a "shuffle stick" could carry away an amazing amount of chow hall trash.

A stout guy teased her once & she bet him $20 he couldn't carry the containers to the gate let alone into the ville. They looked to be about 25 gallon cans. He lost. Spilled one of the big cans, but she had $20 MPC to make up for it. SW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:01 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I only got strawberry frosted and I'm not giving them up. The Mrs. might give the kitty tuna though. Of course, I have two cats already. Dart and Jo-Jo say "buzz off creeps".

I can believe the Tiger story entirely. Weirder things have happened. Hey, go watch "Warhorse". Remember, German machine guns never hit the horses, only the riders. I'm going to be sick now. Oh, bad movie memories, the pain, the disbelief, the sorrow.

I've seen a documentary on dogs in war and they are incredible. I believe they were attached to units in the Pacific in WWII.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:02 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Oh, Dart likes pork chops….. Never really been interested in desert.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i had an interesting discussion with a Hmong gentleman at the range regarding hunting during the hunter sight-in activities a couple years ago , he agrees with you about the tigers , i have no reason to disbelieve him ,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:48 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I heard a story that the tigers were attracted to the sounds of gunfire and explosions.
Lots of leftovers.

B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:36 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

:Dbounce:
Now I'm happy......

Maybe I might relate MY story about the cougars in nashville....I've remembered for years...... :kap:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im game - tell it , :jmp:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:16 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Yes, more animal stories are good.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, NO SHEEP!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:26 am 

Be careful what you ask for from kaintuck - he thinks Lindsey & Pear-a$$ are hot! His idea of a cougar might be one of the geezers from Golden Girls! :-o :-o :kap: :crzy: :crzy: :P ;) :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

oooooooohhhhhh , thats a bad word picture ...... :-?