Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: listening to a nurse on MPR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

she was talking of the efforts in viet nam [and korea] mash units , its a bit touchy feely in presentation , but it moved me - women did contribute a lot in both of these wars and today , i think they are looking for recognition , and well they should get it ,
but it seems to me they always have , i recall the stories of wwI , wwII , and of the civil war and revolutionary war , they were never not recognised were they ?

if imwrong , i stand corrected , if on the other hand ive missread this effort i will be the first to admitt the recognition has been too little , and first on the band wagon for more - thjey do indeed deserve it and then some

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:27 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

As to the Vietnam War, the number of women who served in the US Armed Forces was 5,905. That breaks down thusly:

U.S. Army 4675
U.S. Navy 423
U.S. Marine Corps 36
U.S. Air Force 771
Number of women killed 8

Total number of U.S. military personnel who served in Vietnam: 2,709,965.

Percentage of women service personnel in Vietnam: 0.218

A lot of noise has been made about women serving in Vietnam in relation to the total number of service members who served there.

I must point out that women in the Army during that time were a completely different story than the way women are integrated into the service now in all kinds of units. On Long Binh Post, where I served in Vietnam, there was a women's barracks, but I never saw one. They worked in the hospital and at USARV Headquarters and were closely cossetted. The WAC (Women's Army Corps as it was called then) was surrounded by a cyclone fence topped with razor wire and guarded by MP's.

Having women in the Army today is considered a "normal" state of affairs, but during the Vietnam War, female enlisted service members were still considered somewhat "beyond the pale." This was not the case for female nurse officers, because the nursing profession was and is dominated by women.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thanks for the data gary , it puts things in perspective , and explains her efforts and tone ,