[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Drugs...

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drugs...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:33 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

On another site, some blow-hard was getting a little shrill about having never smoked dope in the service. Maybe he didn't... I don't actually care.

But I got to thinking about the topic and how it related to Viet Nam. Some folks never tried it, but quite a few did.

Like me. Here I was, 19 years old - 10,000 miles from home - depressed - homesick beyond description... and scared. I confess it; I was often afraid to leave the compound in the morning. I don't think it's a sin to be afraid as long as you actually do the things you are supposed to. So I did. It's not like I was the only person wanting to 'call in sick' but did not do so.

But I was offered the chance to escape reality for a bit one night by way of some native hemp & couldn't think of a reason not to... but one soon became apparent when Uncle Ho's Boyz made a fairly serious attempt to revoke the lease on our little fort.

Which by the Grace of God I survived. I never touched the stuff again and the very smell brings back vivid memories. When I was in college, a girl I knew lit up & I had to break off the date. Odd how that sort of thing sticks in your mind... :?

Bottom line? I don't think it was actually a sin to try the stuff... just stupid. Very stupid. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:04 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

I have related a number of my Vietnam experiences on this board, but this subject was one I have avoided as to personal involvement. The situation in the rear areas where my experiences took place were different than those that existed on patrol or on a perimeter line. The level of alert was much lower than a line unit. Also, my time in Vietnam was in the later phases of the conflict, and that makes a lot of difference as to the attitudes about and uses of drugs. The use of marijuana was endemic at the time and place where I was in Vietnam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:55 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

I don't know if they had these up north, but where I was one of the forms of marijuana were "tailor mades." These were marijuana cigarettes, no filters of course, that were precisely rolled like real cigarettes, packed in packs of 20 and wrapped like tobacco goods, and then further packaged into a carton of 10 packs, again like real tobacco cigarettes. The only difference in the packaging was that the carton had an aluminum foil inner liner to seal out moisture. These tailor made joints even had brand names on the packs and carton. The ones I remember seeing were called "Maple Leaf" and "Park Lane." This was real first class flying for pot heads.

In my unit area, the usual practice was to simply load the green leafy substance into a briar pipe. We had one pot head clerk on one of our line companies who really did smoke a pipe, but he sort of mixed his own "Half and Half" blend of pot and real pipe tobacco. The idea was that the highly fragrant pipe tobacco (Flying Dutchman?) would cover up the odor of the burning pot. He never was challenged that I know of.

The resident pot dealer in my unit would break down his $5MPC bags using government US Army franked envelopes, which even at the time I thought was ironic and amusing. He later got caught smuggling a large quantity onto the post inside a Deuce and a Half tire. He was pending court martial when I left country. They didn't have pot sniffing dogs quite in those days; this guy was given up by an informant.

By far and away the larger danger when I was there was the use of heroin. It was sold retail in small plastic vials for $5MPC and was quite pure, I'm told. I was never tempted to use it (scared straight by seeing the movie, "Man with a Golden Arm" when I was a kid). Soldiers who started down that road crashed rather quickly. When I used to go into Saigon in areas frequented by soldiers, the little plastic vials could be found on the ground almost as commonly as cigarette butts. The word then was that our sneaky enemy, the VC, was selling it to American soldiers to undermine our morale. Many years later, I found out that the distributors were actually a group of high officers in the South Vietnamese armed forces, our nominal allies, and it was all about money and nothing about morale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:19 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i think your last sentance sums it uo perfectly - with drugs its all about money - nothing else