Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US Army helicopter crew recieve german medals
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:45 am 
OUTLAW

Fourteen US Army helicopter crew who MEDEVACED German casualities under fire near Kunduz, Afghanistan on Good Friday are to receive the Bundeswehr's Honor Cross in Gold for Distinguished Achievements, Germany's second highest military award. This is actually the first time this specific variant has been awarded (the top level, the Honor Cross for Bravery, has been bestowed upon a total of six German soldiers since the country instituted dedicated bravery awards for the first time since WW II in 2008).

The crews, who have only been based at the German PRT camp at Kunduz since early March, went out with three Blackhawks on April 2nd into the middle of a heavy firefight with Taleban that left three German soldiers KIA and eight WIA. Defense Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, who already had met the crews personally (and gave them MOD coins) on a trip to Kunduz last week, handed the awards over to ISAF Commander Gen. McChrystal who is in Berlin today for consultations with German politicians.

The same crews went out again last week to recover casualities from IED and RPG attacks in the province of Baghlan that killed four more Bundeswehr soldiers and wounded five on April 15th.

pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

Post subject: Re: US Army helicopter crew recieve german medals
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

congratulations to them , what a great honor and what remarkable service , we dont here enough good stories like this about our fine troops ,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 pm 
OUTLAW

or anything about the dutch,german,canadian and british troops putting their ass on the line over there.our main stream media sucks :twisted: :twisted: .

pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

excelent point , i forget because i read numerous sources every day , i see the stories of the other troops returning home or being killed , i see the protests in england and get mad , i see the returning dead and feel sad , you are so correct , our media sucks - they are not journalists or they would seek out all the stories they could [thats what good ones do/did]

as you well know i have no love lost for those that proport to inform us , they write oppinion pieces most of the time , they fail to report "ALL" of the facts to important stories let alone cover any sideline story ,

i think they all dream of being woodward & bernstein but not one realises how much work that would take ,
i could do this if i were younger - and not so opinionated - and could stomach some of what i might have to do ,
done correctly - this would be a very difficult , dangerous , and exciting job , but our news has degenerated to the body counts of the 60s and a total lack of substance ,

OK - i hate the MSM and have absolutely no respect for reporters ...................................rant off :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:44 pm 
OUTLAW

its not a rant but just the truth.

NOV is coming!!!.
pete