[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Milsurps are made for hunting

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....knowing you,they had to be lady mud wrasslin' mags..... :rotflma:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wrestling mags ? im more concerned about future issues of playboy ending up on the bottom shelf - if the subscription is renewed .........im sure that will have to be voted on - vetted and discussed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:22 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

to clarify a bit -

Eddystone was an independent company that was invested in by some of remington's investors there was no tie between the two , no parts interchange and actually Eddystone outproduced the other two ,

the original rifle was the pattern 13 [that is why the bayonet is still the P13 for the P14 rifle ] it was produced in very small - just over 1200 in number by ROF Enfield as a .276 but WWI came along and they did not want another caliber in the supply change so contracted the same design in 303 calling it the pattern 1914 , there was a bolt locking lug change made that transformed the original mkI to mkI* , and later after the war weedon switched some stocks out with scottish made ones that became a mk2 , there were (F) fine adjustment rear sights as well as the standards and a few winchesters came in a (T) telescopic version , only some tiny bits interchange with the SMLE - next to none-nothing-nadda ,
just like the SMLE traditionally the brits number the bolt to the receiver and hand fit - interchangeability of parts was not a requirement ,

the P1913 bayonet is a duplicate of the P1907 with a higher muzzle ring , so close that they put the two cross cuts in the grip scales to tell the difference [they were not interchangeable] made originally by Vickers & Enfield it was produced in a hooked quillon version first but not in the american contacts as that's the time period they were done away with , it also crossed from the non-clearing hole pommel to having it transition ,

after the british contracts were over we had them make it in 3006 as the model 1917 without the british volley sights , the US required interchangeable parts , that gave winchester a bit of trouble getting going ,

reciever markings evolved from just the "US/Mfgr first letter/serial" number to "US/Model of 1917/Manufacturer written out/serial number" , stocks left the factory without cartouches , only mfgr letter in muzzle end of stock and a few inspection stamps , all cartouches indicate re-arsenal or foreign service , barrels were marked by mfgr letter and date ,

in WWII era replacement barrels were made by Rock Island Arsenal , High Standard and Johnson Automatics marked with their initials

it uses the same accessories as the Model 1903 except the bayonet & scabbard ,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:55 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Yep, that's why I always take Wiki with a grain of salt.
Thanks for filling in the gaps.
As usual, you guys rock. Image

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:14 pm 

I use a different milsurp each year. Last year it was my VZ-24. I got the deer running about 40 yards away. The year before it was my Garand. I got that deer from a distance of 74 yards (after waking up from falling asleep). The year before that I got my deer with an SKS from an almost out of range distance of 225 yards. I got really desperate! Yep, milsurps make good, dependable, and hardy sporting rifles. All the modern "civilian" weapons I used to take hunting did not hold up to the rigors of the field. I'll never go back. As far as ammo, I don't have a preference. I just make sure I know how it groups before I hunt with it.

Last edited by Archelgray18 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:04 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Welcome to the site!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:58 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Decided to take out my 1941 Lithgow that I have been working on for some time now. I used a 174gn RN with 42gn of 3031. I had started to think I would never see anything that day as it was getting dark and was going to head back when he walked out at a little over 200 yards. He dropped on the spot. I wasn't sure how powerful it would be since I had only used shotgun for hunting before. He was a 7 pointer and around 160 lbs.
I had been having trouble holding zero so I cut the barrel to 18 inches and that stopped the trouble I was having. I hated the idea of cutting the barrel but it was just so long. It is now a very accurate and powerful hunting rifle that is easy to carry and holds 10 rounds.

Attachments:
deer2post.jpg
deer2post.jpg [ 193.77 KiB | Viewed 12839 times ]
lee enfield post.jpg
lee enfield post.jpg [ 235.76 KiB | Viewed 12839 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:34 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Nice, Dennis!
I've never heard of a Lithgow (aside from the actor).
Looks like an SMLE copy, but it might be the mag fooling me.
Can you give us (ME) some background on that one, please?

....oh yeah, and how did the deer weigh out, field dressed?

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:11 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Lithgow is a SMLE made in Australia . It has the orginal type butt stock but a sporter front stock. I've lost some sleep over cutting the barrel but it would have cost more then I wanted to spend to bring it back to orginal and a SMLE with all that wood and metal just look a little strange to me. It is a very nice handling little rifle now that is very accurate.
The deer processor said 150lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:15 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

The groupings on the target on the right are at about 85 yards from a simple front rest when I was zeroing in the scope.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:06 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks for the info, Dennis.
That's a very smart looking rifle...and quite accurate it seems, too!
150 lbs. of deer is not too shabby. The one I'm pictured with on the other page is just a little larger, at 158 lbs.
Thanks for sharing with us and have a Merry Christmas.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:01 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:42 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks!
The rifle is actually my brother's. He got it out of a magazine back in the days when you could do that.
Stock stock ( :bigrin: ) that he whittled down and painted with a brown stain.
Neither of us are sure where the swivels and sling came from. Apparently its not stock.
The gun now weighs a shade over 6 pounds.
I should probably correct that post, though. The round wasn't a Norma, it was some oddball Argentine Military surplus rounds that were topped with a pointed soft point bullet of some unknown brand and weight.
Came in a white box. I think 20 were priced at like 79 cents or something like that.
I think your Spanish mauser is the older '93 Mauser frame, which my '95 is based on.
Still a good rifle, though. Congrats on that grab, btw.
...and yes, the 7x57 round is a super great round. You could probably say it was THE best chambering for that caliber, until the advent of the 7mm-08.

DeanMk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:58 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Here is a picture of it. I am pretty sure it is a 93. I'm working on making a peep sight for it that is small and low to give it a cleaner look.

Attachments:
sp13.jpg
sp13.jpg [ 168.65 KiB | Viewed 12728 times ]
sp14.jpg
sp14.jpg [ 184.78 KiB | Viewed 12728 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:57 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

type 99 7.7 jap.
Back in 1992 I bought this from a guy who built it to pass his gun smithing class for $150.I worked up a load and shot it for a summer and put it up. The safety is awful and with a scope imposable to turn it to the on spot. Now i see tamney is making a set trigger with a side safety for $95. I don't need this gun ,but it would be fun to bring it to a finished state and shoot it again. I would shoot i shell at a time on the bench to be safe before.

Image Image [img]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Seller ... ser=956475

http://stores.ebay.com/workenladyo8?_rdc=1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:26 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Those are both beautiful guns.
Thanks for sharing them with us.

Dennis, I absolutely LOVE the grain pattern on your Mauser. Please try to accentuate that as you go through your modifications.

Dean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:47 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Nice Arisaka. I have a type38 someone sporterized that shoots very good with a peep sight and I thought it would be really good with a scope on it.

Yes I lucked out with the grain pattern on the mauser stock. It came out nice after sanding it. I'm not sure what to finish it with. Right now I just have a dark stain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:19 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Just a thought, Dennis, but maybe some Minwax?
Next time I see my brother, I'll ask him exactly what he did with the stock on his.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:39 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I used to like the real shiny look but when I discovered how slippery it made my rifle out hunting I am now looking for more of a lite gloss but good grip type finish that will protect it. I've been interested in maybe trying checkering but I'm not real artistic.