[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Stacked 30-06

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stacked 30-06
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:02 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

In the projects section of the forum, a few of us have been contemplating building a double rifle. I have ordered a book on the subject and have been searching for a donor shotgun. While searching the net, I downloaded CDNN's catalogue hoping to find a good deal on a sxs shotgun, but what I found was a really good deal on a 30-06 o&u double rifle. They are selling the Baikal stacked barrel for $279.00! It was such a good deal I ordered two...one to shoot and one to mess with. Baikals are real workhorse no-frill guns, so I expect that it won't win any beauty awards. I will update this with pics when they arrive.
Member "Riceone" asked me for the link so he could get him one too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:40 pm 
Major
Major

Thirty aught six is a might overkill. Might as well get a Rigby or Holland and Holland. This would just leave a pall of smoke and red wind. :? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:54 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:06 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Now maybe all you double gun purists might not want to look at these pictures, but for you budget minded or just poor double gun lover's here are pics of my $279.00 double rifle. I prefer the look of a solid rib between the barrel, so I am going to make a floating rib for one of the rifles. It will be suspended between the barrels but not touching them.

Rifle #1

Rifle #2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:09 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

By the way, they sure do point nice.

Note: I posted this to get my 100th post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:17 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Wow, with the barrels so far apart, I wonder how they index

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:27 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 am 
The Knife
The Knife

What all calibers do they come in or is it just 06?

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:24 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:30 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:44 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Do you have web site listing for them?

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:36 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Neat Rifle!

Here are their listed calibres

.222Rem
.223Rem
7,62x51 (.308Win)
7,62x54R
.30-06 Springfield
9х53R
9,3x74R

I would think the 9 X 53r to be interesting :D

Wonder what it would take to convert a 91 or 91-30 to this calibre?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:16 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:11 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:34 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject: Three Double Rifles.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:06 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

here is a picture of my double rifles. All 30-06.
One scoped O & U with a rib that installed.
One O & U as it came from the factory.
One scoped SxS.
All made by Baikal.
I just have to take them out and shoot them now. No Florida hog will be safe now :lol

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:37 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

The SxS is a Remington Spartan Model 221. Baikals designation is the Artimeda (spelling?). Production problems have delayed this rifle for about 3 years. About 100 of them were imported about a month ago. There is conflicting stories about if Remington is going to discontinue it or not. A 45-70 was also in the works, but hasn't materialized. I believe there is some liability issues with the 45-70, because so many people are hand loading it to be as hot as some 458s and express cartridges. Remington don't want lawsuits after some stooge blows one up.
The gun has no frills (typical Russian) but is a well built utility rifle.
Regulation of the barrels is accompllished by a free floating (right side) barrel and a fixed left barrel. A jack screw between the barrels adjusts the point of impact. Rumor has it that it is quite touch, but does a real good job. Adjustments must be done in small increments. After you get the two barrels hitting close together (1" to 2" groups at ~60 - 75 yards), then you zero the scope.
The gun has a single leaf rear sight and an 11mm dovetail (a royal pita!)
11mm scope rings are pretty hard to find but I finally got about 4 sets. 1 German set for the SxS because it feels better with the super low mount and 3 CZ sets. Unfortunately the German set cost me 150 euros shipped...ouch! Almost as much as one of the O & U rifles.
I am well pleased with the fit a looks of the German mounts. They have "MAK "on the side. The company was really good to deal with and the rings came in a few days. More pics later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:38 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant