[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - ruger 7.62x39

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ruger 7.62x39
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:03 pm 
OUTLAW

found this NIB yesterday. :D ruger made a special run of these for davidsons back in the 90's.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/762x39.htm

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

Post subject: Re: ruger 7.62x39
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:44 pm 
Opinionated Old Fart

...nice way to end the year...nothing like going out with a bang!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:59 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

If I was going to get a 7.62 x 39 that would be the way to go.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:08 pm 
OUTLAW

KM77RPW 7.62 x 39 (Ruger model 7853). A special Distributor model for Davidson’s (AZ) and Williams Shooter’s Supply, AcuSport, V.F. Grace, Inc. and Ellet Brothers) with wood forearm and grip inserts. Known s/n range 780-40534 to 780-61186 - 1,217 produced).

Then Ruger did another batch of the 7x62x39 without the wood inserts in the model KM77RLP Mark II, (Ruger model 7999) Special Distributor model - known s/n range 786-62602 to 786-70871 (a total of 1,016 were produced in 1999 and 2002 for Davidson’s (AZ).
**(mine)**
Lastly, Ruger also made a very few guns in 7.62 with Zytel boatpaddle stock and blue barreled action. this is all that I have come up with so far.

I think it would be very easy to go subsonic with this one with heavy bullets with a 1/10 twist.think 300 whisper.

pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:48 pm 
International Man of Mystery
International Man of Mystery

If you need to make room for this one you can sell me one or two of your Mosin Nagants. :bigrin: :bigrin:
Just kidding Pete.
Congrats on another beauty.
Let us know how this Ruger performs on the range.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

congrats - i was thinkin on gettin home and settlen in in front of the TV , and you were buyin a gun :Dbounce:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

What is the bore dia. Pete?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:49 am 
OUTLAW

this is a early one so the bore is .308 :D
they use a long throat so shooting wolf ammo is ok.
I have a lyman 311539 GC inbound so this will be fun cheap shooter.
pete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:37 pm 
OUTLAW

How to hone a size die
by Buckshot

Oft times we find ourselves needing a bit more girth in a bullet to please a particular firearm. And, as sometimes happens the size we need isn't available or we don't want to pay for the custom manufacture of one. You can do this yourself and accomplish very accurate results for just a few cents worth of materials (not counting the size die) and a bit of time.

What you will need:
1) A size die that is as close as possible to what you want
2) A length of steel rod that is close to 3/4 of the diameter of the existing die, and long enough to protrude at least 2" beyond both ends of the die.
3) Wet or dry emery paper of 320, 400, and 600 grit. If you do need to remove more than a couple of thousandths you should also include 220 grit. Actually the 400 will finish the inside well enough, but hitting it with a bit of 600 sure slicks it up.
4) Oil. Most any oil will do.

What you do:
The paper should be cut long enough to extend out either end of the die, almost as long as the steel rod. Wrap your starting coursest grit paper around the steel rod a couple times and apply some oil to the paper. Insert the covered rod through the size die. With just your thumb and a couple fingers on each end of the rod, roll it up and down your thigh (while sitting) applying only mild pressure. The reason for using a rod as large as possible, is to keep from tapering the inside of the die, by having a slender rod bend under pressure.

This will get your pants leg fairly well oiled up, so use old pants. Or you can staple a bit of cloth to a length of wood. Most any surface that the die can turn on is fine. I use a piece of mud flap screwed to a bit of 2x4, and clamp it in the vise, and it's a good working height.

Roll the steel rod occasionally as only a small portion of the paper is in contact with the interior of the die. You should also swap the die end for end every now and then to make sure the metal removal is as even as possible. Remember the throat of the die is tapered to admit the bullet and we're only wanting to open up the actual sizing portion of the die.

When you check your work you don't need to put the die back in the press. Just drill a hole in a board bigger than the bullet and place the die over it. Place a bullet in the die and tap it through. Remember to leave a bit of metal to remove for your polishing down to final size with the finer grit paper. The first time I did this I just took it down to where I wanted it without thinking of the finish. It works, but you do need a bit more effort to get the bullet in and out, and it just isn't the right way to do it!

Your existing plunger will still be fine in the honed out size die, unless you opened it up several thousandths. Even then it may still work fine, but you'll need to pay more attention to the lube consistancy and the amount of pressure you

go here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

there is a guy "buckshot" that can make a custom sizer.I have had him make a couple for me and he does excellent work.

I do not cast bullets for other people or sell them.
I have been casting now over 30 years.I have helped alot of my friends get started in casting for their weapons.all it takes is one numb nuts to reload one bullet in the wrong firearm and have a kaboom and your in deep shit if you sold it or gave it way.nothing personal I just don't do it.

BTW (paco)
HOW DID ALL THIS COME ABOUT? FOOLISHLY I JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE MIGHT BE IN RELOADING A SMALL CASE WITH THE POWDER LEVELS OF THE .223, COMPARED TO COMMERCIAL AMMO. I BOUGHT ONLY 20 BOXER RELOADABLE CARTRIDGE CASES. I RELOADED THEM ABOVE THE MANUAL’S RECOMMENDATIONS KNOWING THE RUGER WAS THE STRONG SHORT ACTION WITH FRONT LOCKING LUGS. THE 125 GRAIN BULLETS WENT 400 FPS OVER THE WOLF 122 GRAIN LOADS. THAT’S NEAR 2700 FPS AND WITH THE RUGER’S .308 BORE.... THE ACCURACY WAS OUTSTANDING. I WAS HOOKED.

I have a friend with a CZ 527 and his bore slugs .311.

pete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 am 
OUTLAW

if you want to cast perfect little 55 gr gc bullets try linotype metal for your alloy.they are hard and all that extra tin makes the alloy flow and fill up those small cav.'s on the mold.with linotype you should be close to 22 BHN and if you water quench them closer to 30+ BHN.
I shoot alot of 223 but since the jacketed bullets are so cheap it just not worth it for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sensitivity classes - boy did you pick the wrong door there contestant number one , we might be the most un-PC crowd you ever accidentally happened upon ,

i got a feeling you might be real surprised at just how un-PC some of us old farts really are , no malice involved ,

simply that we grew up in a time when that BS got your a$$ kicked on the playground , and when you got home your dad would point out that you needed to buck up ,

sensitivity classes - yea right

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:45 pm 
OUTLAW

:D just hit your ignore button A SQ.I did. ;) .

the army tried to send me to a sensitivity class so I retired :lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:lol

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:lol yup that would have been a mistake on their part for sure :lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm 
OUTLAW

update....its a shooter.
went to the range today and shot it.using some wolf 7.62X39 122 gr hp ammo I got from a friend (thanks bruce).I think it did well.didn't bring any handloads as that got put on the back burner..next time out.

here you can see the block they used in the mag for the short round.this rifle is the same as the 308 but chamber in 7.62X39.

you can see where I walked it in on the target.100 yard line.I guy had a range finder and he said 127 ?.

also shot some with the M1 today.its a sweet shooter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:19 am 
Opinionated Old Fart

...not only it's a Ruger...but you may have just bought a rifle capable of firing the soon-to-be-most-donated round in Texas when the festivities begin...smart tactical move...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:58 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Pete good shooting but I notice that you do not have any of that white stuff on the ground. Must be something wrong. :crzy: :crzy:

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:10 am 
OUTLAW

well this is texas.this morning we had thunder boomers come thru at 0300 and a artic front right behind it.its 26 outside right now and the wind is howling 30 and 40 mph in gusts brrrr.TEXAS gotta love it.
tomorrow they are talking below zero with the chill factor :-o it was 80 here on sunday and running the A/C.we are going to be back in the 50's maybe this weekend.I hope so I hate the cold.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats a keeper - she shoots very well - congrats again

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:13 pm 

I bought one when they first came out and must say it has become a favorite family rifle as well as a trusted hunter. Obviously I got it to play with as the ammo was dirt cheap, however with a case of blue and white paper cased 7.62 x 39 ball ammo I became blown away by it's remarkable accuracy. This gun was a consistent 1 inch shooter at 100 yards and beyond.
Our local range (fbnks. ak) has a large bank at 325 yards, with experimentation I found the correct hold with my fairly low costs tasco varmint scope and was soon pounding left over pop cans, old targets and clay pigeons at this distance with ease.
I took my four kids at this time, 3 boys and one girl aged 9-15, to the range for regular shoot offs with this rifle, light kicking, they all learned to love this rifle. (Loser had to do certain chores, my daughter always beat the boys!)
I varmint hunted with this rifle and made the longest shot I have ever made on a cross fox at around 560 yards. I believe it was a lucky shot and must say it was a "hail mary" that I never expected to connect with. I had been calling by the Tanana river for quite a while with no results, as I climbed out of the river bottom I stopped to scan the vast flood plain with an inland gaze. I saw movement in the distance and saw a fox trotting through my scope. I laid my pack on some rocks and laid my rifle over it. I led the fox several feet and raised the sights with my best guestimation.
I squeezed of a round and in spite of my shot out ears thought I heard a slap. d wanting to leave a potentially wounded animal to suffer I began pacing of the ground to where I had shot at the animal. When I got around fifty yards from the marked spot the fox jumped up and tried to run but was slightly crippled. I dropped it with a quick shot.
Upon examination I found the bullet had entered the right hip, instead of boring straight through the hip, the bullet tumbled down along the leg bone, exiting out the achilles tendon, which it detached. I was beyond belief. I have taken coyote and many foxes with this rifle. The only thing I don't like about it is the russian ammo has a hollow point and sometimes leave a big hole.
With some 1680 powder I have worked up some proper bolt action loads and plan to take a caribou with this rifle.