Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bit the dust...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

My old '98 astro died Thursday night. Had to have her towed home from the 24 hr milk/bread shop. Not bad on the tow- 80 bucks for an almost 10 mile tow. While the rear end was up in the air, I saw a scary sight- transmission leak. There are 2 seals leaking on the rear axle as well. Current problem acts like fuel pump, but I'd have to have codes read to be sure it ain't a fried EMC.

Kinda torn what to do here. There's more rust on it than I realized, and I hate letting her go. She's edging 160,000 miles, and I'm not sure I want to deal with the up-coming old age problems. 19 years is getting on in terms of reliability issues.

Eyeing the Uplander/Montana series, 2006-2008 range. Anyone have experience with these?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Bit the dust...
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sorry to hear of that issue , but i know the feelings both concerns for longevity and cost benefit ratio , sometimes its best to move forward with an alternative , my wife's jeep is a 97 and i have yet to get her to think of letting go , i suspect we have already gone past the benefit in terms of the costs for repairs over the last couple years but she just loves that vehicle and won't let it go ,

i know nothing of what your looking at , but ive not heard anything bad directly - good luck in your search ,

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:10 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

My little SAAB has 273,000 miles on the clock. Since everything still works, I have no plans to rep[lace it. However, to keep some of the miles off the little dear, I now have a Chevy Tahoe. The biggest problem is getting used to driving a battleship instead of a destroyer. I keep trying to hit the clutch when coming to a stop.

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I am driving my 99 Sierra almost full time now as I upgraded the 94 Jimmy to a 05 Yukon XL Denali. The Sierra has just over 120,000 on it and the Yukon only has 50,000. I will sometimes reach for the clutch and the shifter when I am in one of the autos. Will be ruff if I ever have to upgrade the Sierra as standard shifts are just about non existent today. It is just about impossible for us old die hards to find a manual shift vehicle without going to one of the furring ones.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:32 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Found an '06 Uplander with 60,000 on the clock. Just awaiting final paperwork/banking. Dang, it's small....

I still go for the clutch pedal in two situations: panic stop, or skid on ice. Old habits die hard, and it's been over 10 years since I drove a manual...
The 4 spd electronic overdrives I've gotten used to are nice though- on the highway...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:04 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Finally got it. That's the longest it ever took me to close a car deal- 15 days...

It ain't a bad little putt so far- especially nice on the open highway. It wants to speed :bigrin:

3.5 L v-6 / 4 sp o/d a/t.

I'll say it again- dang it's tiny. It don't have the get up and went that the 215 h.p. Astro did. Big difference in ponies- little putt puts out 165...

Have to get used to front wheel drive cornering again- it's got a tendency to turn a bit on the tight side. Should be all right- got extra warranty with it that will last until it's paid off.

That's the dealership's internet photo. I'll get a better one up under proper daylight.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

looks pretty nice from here , congrats