[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - My M38A1

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My M38A1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:50 pm 
Major
Major

Yep it's in my garage and has sat for 4 years not running. First the clutch rod broke, then the carborator clogged. Been promising when I get a whole lot of spare time, I will fix and put it back on the road. It will take a lot more effort now since it has sat dormant. It is a Willy's 1952 M38A1 -24 volt and I bought it in 1978. I used to run it off road every where. Here is a 1980's photo of me near a lake when it had a camo paint job and what it looks like now, with a deep solid green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:10 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.........oh wow that is so sweet........I'd love to have one....I'd even settle for a ride... :lol ...........you lucky dawg........fix her up when you retire and hang onto it forever...!!! :lol :D ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:10 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Nice!,but I think I've got you beat in one way-my '44 MB been sittin about 20 years or so :-( :-o Someday though....-TR

Rome fell because it had a Senate-what will become of us with both a Senate and a House-Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:10 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:22 pm 
International Man of Mystery
International Man of Mystery

Wow, those pictures bring back memories.
We used to have those jeeps in the Dutch army too.
We called them NEKAF, which was short for Nederlandse Kaiser-Frazer Fabrieken or in good English, Dutch Kaiser-Frazer Factories.
All the parts were brought in from Willys Overland in Toledo, Ohio and were assembled at the NEKAF factory.
Only the tires and the batteries came from a Dutch factory called "The Bataafse Accufabriek" later known under the name Varta en Vredestein.
The successor of the NEKAF was the British Landrover in the early 1980's.
Very strong, but also very loud.
Not one of my favorites.
The Landrover was succeeded by the Mercedes jeep in the 1990's.
Thanks for sharing the pictures and bringing up the memories M14 man.

Here are some pictures of the Dutch NEKAF.
Nothing was changed compared to the US model.
Only some extra lights and reflectors were added.
Here's the link.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wow , very nice M14man , thanks martin some great photos there ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:10 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Don,right now shes covered in tarps while I repair the garge roof.As soon as I can get the whole mess finished I'll get you some pics of her.
Martin thats some Jeep lore I'd never heard of before. Thanks for the link.
I used to have a Dodge WC54 ambulance years ago that had been loaned to the Dutch Army-the dash plates were still in Dutch when I bought her,always thought that was pretty neat. For anyone not familiar with the WC 54,heres one-TR

Rome fell because it had a Senate-what will become of us with both a Senate and a House-Will Rogers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:36 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

The first couple of years I worked for the National Guard, we still had some of these. I preferred driving them to the M151 series. My second summer camp (1974), there was an M38 (square fenders, looks more like an MB from WW2) in use at Fort Irwin, California. I don't know where they dug that one up.

One more Jeep story. When I worked at the Seal Beach, Calif. Post Office (1980-86), we were located directly across the street from what was then the huge North American Rockwell facility where they built the moon rockets. We had to go over to the Rockwell facility on postal business from time to time. One of the vehicles in the Rockwell motor pool was an MB series jeep from WW2, painted in the blue Rockwell corporate colors current at the time. This jeep was one that had been "loaned" to North American Aviation (precursor to Rockwell) during WW2 and they had "forgotten" to return it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cant think that great heater was of much use in the desert ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

OK , im gettin it now , sometimes im slow :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:08 am 
Major
Major

Love these old jeeps. Some guy here was selling an old duece 1/2. not sure what he got for it. I had no place to park it so I didn't ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i just noticed there is a decent 'looking' jeep perched on a berm along I94 , its seems to be an add for the local dealership or signage for the hunter training site/range in that area , or both , but it caught my eye as its OD and got the stars - id drive it to work on sunny summer days :grin: