Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

My Dad just gave me his browning auto 5 light twelve, made in 1960. I was wondering if anybody knows where they were made I have heard Belgium and I have heard U.S.A. Thanks. Eli.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

That early was most likely made in Belgium. Look for Belgian proofs to confirm that. LGE over an oval is one. SW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Yep i saw the LGE. Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:43 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Is there a ammo that is better than others, for this 2 and three quarter 12 gauge? Its kinda old I dont want to mess it up. But i would like to shoot it, and clean it, and repeat!! This is the first shotgun i have owned!! Thanks for any pointers!! Eli.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:29 am 

Try some trap loads to see if they will cycle it. Actually, it's a quality shotgun made of good steel & should handle even hi-brass turkey whackers with no trouble. SW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

dittos what hogger said , but id think a standard 3dram , 1-1/8oz , 7-8 trap load would cycle it just fine ,

oh - and what do you mean a made in 1960 is kinda old ?????? whippersnappers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

LOL!! Thanks for the reply's. I can't wait to shoot it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:41 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Went and shot trap, and 5 stand with the A 5. Damn that's fun stuff! The gun worked awesome! The best I got on 5 stand was 9. Practice needed! It sure was fun to shoot that A 5 as fast as I could when two clays kinda crossed paths on 5 stand. Has anybody shot clays or birds lately? I sure like how light that A 5 is .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

now on to my favorite 'sporting clays' its 5 stand on a walk thru coarse , kinda like playing golf , gives you time to recover from a bad station - clear your head or revel in a good one - anticipate the next , they generally mix it up on a regular basis if its a true sporting clays range

i shoot trap but i far prefer sporting clays

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

That sounds fun. I got to look into that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:23 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i shot 4 of my 7 spring league trap today , first of the year 16 on the first round then 21 and 23 - the fourth is kinda off the norm as one in our squad wanted to shoot handicap - im always game for whatever but have to have all of my scores in by may 1 so i counted it ,

i got 19 from the 22yd - it was what the guy who wanted to shoot it is ranked at for ATA - we have a registered shoot sunday he wanted to practice for , im doubtful i would have a handicap rating if truth be known , im not certain what the other two guys might have been rated at or thought ...but i was happy ,

ill get my other three in on friday - range is closed next two days and im gone thursday , the weekend will be a zoo , between the registered shoot sunday with youth shoot early and the high school leagues on saturday [we have seven schools shooting with over 200 kids shooting] plus the walk-ins it will be nuts there ,

but my family will be doing the mothers day thing on saturday , my wife is insistent it be fun , this year she wants all of our kids/kids-in-law/grandkids her mother ,to be together and have fun , its a great idea , particularly since both the daughter and daughter-in-law are between 2 weeks and a month from giving birth again , DAMN THEY MAKE ME FEEL OLD , so - ill not be there shooting saturday ..........

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:38 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Great scores! Trap shooting sure is fun. How do you find out the best yardage to shoot for the widest spread of shot? There was a clay on 5 stand that would just hang in the air, and I couldn't believe I kept missing it. But then again I did miss most of em, dangit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

most people that shoot rifle try to aim , do not aim , ignore the front sight after you have your gun shouldered correctly

women tend to stand with arched back - wont work , stand with an open stance - if right handed the right foot drops back to an at ease position , when you shoulder lean forward on your left bending the knee slightly , this should put your cheek firmly on the stock yet comfortable ,

you keep your head down on the gun - you find the target with your eye and you move to it - point at it instinctively ,
do not try to aim - you will stop the gun - miss ,
swing through the target , do not lift your head to watch it break - miss ,

do not rush your shot you want to hit it on the rise but dont wait too long you will aim - stop the gun- miss

check your dominate eye - you might have to cover your off eye if it is dominate with a spot of tape on your lens of the glasses ,

thats trap but skeet is just a different swing and sporting clays are just a lot of hunting type situations that make it more interesting , all of the above still apply

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:41 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Cool! Thanks for the tips. Hopefully that will help. It did seem like aiming it like a rifle didn't work. Cant wait to shoot Saturday now.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

enjoy , you need to have fun , dont think too much but do not aim - you will miss , just point and shoot and keep that cheek on the stock , let me know how it goes ,

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Well, it didn't go to good at first. I shot 5 stand, and hit 6 the first round and 5, in the second round. Then I went to trap and started getting it a little better. I got 10 the first round, and 12 in the second round. Fun stuff though! Need more practice. The A5, sure worked great. I still can't believe I miss some of those right in front of me on 5 stand, lol. Went to the rifle range after, and had still more fun, with the 10/22 and M1. Sure is easy to bench rest rifles, after swinging a shotgun at clays.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:34 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

You guys make me remember the days I had my browning sweet sixteen.....I replaced the springs on her when I got her....and that was when I was 17i believe :roll:
Sold her long ago......super nice browning....

Now if I wants to shot trap......I'd have to use my flintlock... :kap: :Dbounce:

Tomtom n marc

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:56 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Shot trap yesterday. Keeping the cheek on the stock really helps. Thanks, A Square. I got 15 on my first round, hit the first 5 in a row! And 13 on the second round. I was shooting #8 shot, maybe that helped too. Shot a round of 5 stand next, couldn't hit barely any. I think I ended up with 7. Fun stuff! Going back for more on Saturday. Can I load 5 rounds in my Browning and just let loose on them clays, or does it have to be one shot per clay? Cause that light 12 can really shoot fast.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

most ranges only allow one at a time for trap , and two for sporting and five stand , maybe they will offer to let you try it tho , generally if i miss the first ill not get it with the rest , im on or im not , but fun to unleash a bit on occasion ,

for spring league my first three rounds [of this year] were a 15 - then 18 - then 22 , started out lifting my head , eventually settled in , last three were 23 - 23- 24 , now we are into summer and ive not posted a round yet , i will most likely backpedal a bit ,
im looking forward to sporting clays getting going ,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:55 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I've been told my father's father had an Auto 5.
He died in 1953.
Dad thought he got the gun in the 20's or maybe the 30's.
Would that gun be made in America or Belgium?

Dean