[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Old Shotguns...

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Shotguns...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

...Or things I found while cleaning out my "GunRoom"

Actually counted all my guns: 24.5 (the AR isn't done yet)

Decided to actually take an inventory of what I've got. Found out I've got some older shotguns that I don't really know a lot about.

New England Firearms Co. 20 Ga Pardner SB1 #NB289836

Harrington & Richardson Topper Model 158 12 Ga (at least it's just surface rust, no real pitting so far)

Remington Shotgun 12ga, hammer cocks on the side #13250

Newport 410ga #56754x4 (my Grandfather's gun)

Companiha de Cartuchos FIE Imported 12ga (the breech opens by pulling back on the trigger guard)

Hopkins & Allen #A7406

Will try to get some pictures up

...I see we don't have a shotgun forum. Or did I miss that. If I didn't miss it, and we don't have one, would be kinda nice to have one. I'd even be willing to moderate it :D

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Last edited by Gatsby on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:12 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

id love to see photos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Probably not going to be selling any of these since they were my Father's, who passed away in 2002. Some, the Newport, were from my Grandfather

I did find out thought that Hopkins & Allen was most active circa 1887-1915. They went bankrupt during WW1 trying to make military arms of the Belgian government. In 1921 their assets were sold to Marlin.

And that Newport was the trade name used by H&D Folsom Arms on Guns it sold to Hibbard, Spencer, Barlett and Company of Chicago. If there are no proof marks then it was made by Crescent Arms Co, ( which was owned by H&D Folsom), if there is a ELG in an oval then it is Belgium made. It's hard to date these guns because all records were lost during WWII. Some say the records were lost in a fire, another version has a Stevens employee donating them to a war time paper drive.

I should have pictures tomorrow I hope.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:48 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Is that H & R Topper 158 have a long barrel on it? I have one with an 18 1/2" barrel in 12 ga.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The Topper 158 has a 28" barrel on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:49 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:11 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:12 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Find some brass wool if you can. Other wise oooo steel and oil with either shouldn't hurt them.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:47 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Go to the kitchen section of your local supermarket & get brass or copper scrubby pads. Oil & that will take that surface rust right off without damaging the blueing.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:05 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:11 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Spent a couple of hours out in the shop doing just what you guys sugguested. Got the Topper and the Newport looking nice again. Will certainly have to get some pictures up for everybody.

Thanks for the advice everybody :thnx: :boozer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:13 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I wish I had a picture to show of my uncle's old Stevens and stevens 12 guage side by side. it has damascus barrels and very nicely engraved. I've been told that you couldn't shoot it any more but it was just sooooo pretty that you would only want to hang it on the wall as a piece of art anyway. I'll have to see if he will sell me that gun since he's only a couple hours away in salt lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Check this thread.

At thebottom is a link to Midway USA. They have .410, 20, 16 & 12 ga. brass shells (About $16/25) you can safely put Black Powder rounds thru the demascus barrels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject: the finest guns...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

The ones we inherit are priceless.

Post subject: Re: the finest guns...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject: Re: Old Shotguns...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:09 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I picked up an old Husqvarna Mod 17 shotgun a few months back, had to get a new hammer screw made, and after that have been refinishing stock.

I liked it so well I got to looking and found this one, should be here next week.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info. ... fc917a7799

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

these are all just too cool , i really enjoy the photos , all i have in single shots are a 410 and a 20 [which is actualy capable of two -if you count the rifle round over the top ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JK,

Are those the ones chambered for the short 12 ga. shell? They are nice looking. I like the take down lever on the bottom!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice Husqy!