[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Mossberg 395kb C-Lect Choke

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:40 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Have one of these and barrel and bolt are in pretty decent condition.But I do need to replace the stock for it(cracked) and the magazine. I have asked around (including Mossberg) and I have been referred continually to Havlin Sales for these items. All together, ordered thru them would be around $127. Figured I would ask you guys, given the collective firearms knowledge around here if anyone knew where I could get these a lil cheaper? All my other resources have led me back to them, but I wondered if maybe there was another way where I could spend a lil less? If thats my only option though, feel free to let me know :D .Love the way this bolt action shotgun shoots, and would love to be able to use it again without draining my wallet. Thanks in advance all!!!

The weapon is a delight because it is simultaneously a tool, an artifact, and a symbol of a willingness to resist others who would, by unjust and injudicious force, attempt to impose their will on us. –Roscoe Benson

"The purpose of a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left in the first place." - Jeff Cooper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:22 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Is the current stock repairable? Pictures & a description of the current crack would help here. I have seen repairs of stocks that were all the way through the wrist that are hardly noticeable & much stronger than a new stock. The wonders of threaded rod & good glue :lol

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:25 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Here ya go. First pic is without barrel and second is with barrel from same angle. crack is about 2 inches long or so. Whatcha think?

Attachments:
091800_1210[00].jpg
091800_1210[00].jpg [ 43.9 KiB | Viewed 9385 times ]
091800_1205[01].jpg
091800_1205[01].jpg [ 57.72 KiB | Viewed 9385 times ]

The weapon is a delight because it is simultaneously a tool, an artifact, and a symbol of a willingness to resist others who would, by unjust and injudicious force, attempt to impose their will on us. –Roscoe Benson

"The purpose of a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left in the first place." - Jeff Cooper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:15 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

I would drill and pin it with dial rod.The secret to it in my book is to score the dial rod long ways with a box cutter so the glue will make a good bond the hole way through along the pin.Looks like you need 2 or 3 pins .I have pictures of a repair i made a while back.Ill find and post them.

Image Image [img]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Seller ... ser=956475

http://stores.ebay.com/workenladyo8?_rdc=1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Looks like a piece o' cake to me. Very much easier than some of the virtually shattered yak fat stocks I have repaired this year.

I've had best results with the slower epoxy - 60 minute is my favorite. SW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:21 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

OK cool, so easy fix? How exactly do I go about doing this? I haven't ever really done any fixes on a stock before. So I would just have to order the magazine then, nice. There is another crack on the stock that I am concerned about. I will have to post pics of that also. Hope I can get a lil further instruction tho, lol. Thanks guys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9119&start=20

Look in this thread for ideas. For the main break: score a thin rod of oak dowel. I got mine @ Menards for around a dollar. Also score some 60 minute epoxy = another fiver on top of the buck for the dowel. Avoid fast epoxy like the plague! It is worthless!! 30 minute at the very slowest but hold out for the 60 minute stuff. Since this is your 1st repair, you want all the time you can get for yourself.

I used plain dowel but if you want, you can chuck up a small piece in your drill press or quarter inch drill. Using the edge of a file or even a sharp knife, you can score the short piece of dowel to better hold glue.

Select a drill bit close to the diameter of the dowel. Get a piece of scrap wood like a chunk of 2x4 and drill a test hole to insure the dowel will enter with a minimum of assistance. ( like pounding it with a small hammer) Don''t pound the dowel into the stock until you have everything glued - you might get it pounded in & not able to remove it! :-o

Measure carefully or eyeball a part of the break with the most wood on either side of the break. Try the drill bit against the stock from different angles you can easily reach and plan the hole you are about to drill.

From the INSIDE of the stock, drill far enough to hold a piece of dowel but not far enough that the drill goes clear through the stock. Unless this will be a using or fun gun. IMO, it will have the greatest resale/trade value if the repair is concealed.

Once the hole is drilled, cut a piece of dowel of a length that can be easily maneuvered in the stock opening.

Get your clamps ready and something to use as clamp pads so the stock doesn't get damaged. A piece of balsa from a model kit or plain lath works well. Put a piece of waxed paper between the stock and pad so nuttin sticks together.

Mix your glue. With a Q-tip apply epoxy to the inside of the entire break and also in the hole you drilled. Roll the dowel in the glue - you don't actually need all that much, but I like to fill all voids if possible.

Press the dowel into the hole. If it's a tight fit, you might have to tap it in - this is why you carefully selected the angle to drill the hole. Tap the dowel in - there should be a bit sticking out. Leave it alone for now - you trim it in a couple days.

Putting pads against the stock, you now close the crack as tightly as you can using whatever clamps you have.

After you're happy with the way the crack has closed use acetone ( nail polish remover - I swiped some from preppy daughter) or cheep rubbing alcohol to remove all traces of wet epoxy from the exterior of the stock.

Set the stock aside for two days - this allows the epoxy to completely cure. Carefully remove the clamps, pads & wax paper - use steel wool to clean off the wax paper remnants if necessary.

Viola! :bigrin: The crack should scarcely be visible! Two pics are shown below - I drilled out butt plate screw holes and tapped in oak dowel so I could drill new holes for a replacement butt plate.

This might give you some perspective and ideas on how to proceed. SW

Attachments:
z1892 010.jpg
z1892 010.jpg [ 110.18 KiB | Viewed 9377 times ]
z1892 009.jpg
z1892 009.jpg [ 106.48 KiB | Viewed 9377 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:47 pm 

I can't tell for certain, but looking your pics over, you might not have enough room to drill from inside the stock - come up from the bottom if that suits you - the repair will be harder to see.

Make several dry runs and compare everything closely before you dive in. Measure 5 times - drill once! ;) SW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:07 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...you should make that a "sticky"... ;)
......I however have no kahones or skills to do a stock repair-I may be an ar-teest,but i aint a woodworker-especially with a dated 1897 M91 stock thats got a couple cracks running from behind the recoil lug to the butt.... :-? ...mebbe I should send it to you to fix... :grin: ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:30 am 

You send - I fix. I ain't no wood worker either. But I did get a little practical experience with those yak fat specials. :crzy: 8-) SW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Pathfinder, If we can coordinate days off you can bring the stock here & we'll fix 'er up. I have all of the necessities except the epoxy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:28 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

That would be awesome! I work the rest of this week, but I can post days off or pm u on fri. I will buy whatever we need, but I need to know what exactly and where to get it. thanks again all!!!! get ahold of me or holler at me inside the pineapple. or i can just get ahold of u here, up to u. lotsa great advice and knowledge in this forum. definitely gonna make this place home. :bigrin:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:40 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:36 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

thats not a problem, gotta have the essentials. :bigrin: :bigrin:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Here or at work.....either or.

We can prolly get all we need there at the new ACE