Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

and a grandmother as well , we went out for pizza/calzone the other night , and he told me a little of those he lost ,

some here may know of michael macintosh , he was apperently well versed and wrote of the side by side shotgun , and was well respected for his knowledge ,

Author, shotgunner Michael McIntosh, 64Endeared sporting writer Michael McIntosh, author of Shotguns and Shooting, Best Guns, Wild Things and columnist for Sporting Classics magazine, died August 14 at the age of 64. A Shakespearean scholar and English professor, McIntosh had a devoted following, many of whom shared his affinity for beautiful women, quality shotguns, single malt Scotch, pipes and fine tobacco. "...Home is the sailor, home from the sea, And the hunter home from the hill."

Michael Mcintosh – A Friend PassesSaturday, August 21st, 2010 at 6:53 pm
Tags: Gun TalkObituaryOutdoor WritersTom Gresham Michael Mcintosh – A Friend Passes
By Tom Gresham

Gun Talk Radio
MANDEVILLE, LA - -(AmmoLand.com)- Michael McIntosh died last weekend.
Michael wrote for Shooting Sportsman, Sporting Classics, Double Gun Journal, and other magazines.
He wrote more than two dozen books. A beautiful writer, Michael loved double guns and wingshooting with the same passion he showed for life with. He was 66. I first met Michael almost 40 years ago in Missouri.
I was still a student at Mizzou, and he was barely older. We fished for trout. Through the years Michael became a giant in the world of wingshooting and especially the minutia of double guns.
His books are simply wonderful. Just this past week I’ve been reading (for the fourth or fifth time) Shotguns and Shooting, a delightful, simple, and easy to read treatment. McIntosh’s writing was influenced by that of John Madson, who may be the finest writer of outdoor tales we’ve ever had. John didn’t do it with flourishes or tangled syntax, but with the simple, declarative sentence. It was in reading Madson’s work that I learned the strength of verbs and the weakness of adjectives.

Michael Michael wrote for Shooting Sportsman, Sporting Classics, Double Gun Journal, and other magazines.
Michael excelled at spare verbiage. Just a few words. Always the right ones. Both Madson and McIntosh were gentlemen. Michael was…complex…and flawed. Why is it that great writers so often are? He was an incomparable companion on a trout stream, hunting lodge, or the line on a driven shoot. He was a master teacher.
Only a few words for the student — the right words.
If you enjoy shooting, or guns, or fine writing, may I suggest that you get a copy of one of Michael’s books. After learning of his death, I opened Shotguns and Shooting, and spent some time with my friend. Fortunately, you can too.
Just pull one of his books from the shelf, and there he is. What a wonderful gift.

August 17, 2010
Bourjaily: In Memory of Michael McIntosh

Shotgunning lost its most lucid, literate writer over the weekend when Michael McIntosh died suddenly at age 66. Author of many books, including the classic Best Guns, three volumes of Shotguns and Shooting, and an excellent biography of A.H. Fox. He had an English professor’s love of language and a scholarly interest in history and while he could write well about any subject, we are fortunate that shotguns and shooting were his passion.
I only met Michael a couple of times, on both occasions we were in his element: there were shotguns, plenty to shoot them at, and single malt scotch afterwards. He was a good shot and a gentleman as well as a fine writer.

SingingRiver Post subject: Help with Michael McIntosh article pleasePosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:45 am

Utility Grade

Posts: 6 I was reading the article "More Things We Can Do Without" in the Sept./Oct. issue of Shooting Sportsman. Mr. McIntosh's point is that with the introduction of the shot-cup wad, barrel constriction, choke, is more bane than boon for other than highly specialized uses such as turkey hunting. I understand that the shot cup cushions the shot column and protects the wad from bore abrasion. I understand that the shot-cup would also reduce the pattern spread by 10 per cent, thus making IC into Mod. etc. I would think that without any choke, the shot string would be shortened. But at that point, I don't make the connection as to why cylinder bore is all that is needed because choke has no practical value. For example, wouldn't choke still be helpful for that second longer shot. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

MGF Post subject: Re: Help with Michael McIntosh article pleasePosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:02 pm

*Proud to be a*

Location: Illinois MM has expressed this thought before. It's his opinion.
His friend the late Gene Hill felt otherwise. In his "Shotgunner's Notebook," Hill said as he aged and hearing and a reflexes declined, he liked to choke a little tighter for upland hunting.
MM was a great writer, a knowledgeable gun man and fine wingshooter. But that doesn't mean everything he wrote is Gospel.
Personally, I'm still generally using IC/Mod for pheasant and still doing OK at 46.

VictorGK Post subject: Re: Help with Michael McIntosh article pleasePosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Diamond Grade

Location: Mechanicsville IA Michael McIntosh would write articles to provoke thought and debate based upon his own experience. If the majority of birds are killed within 25 yards then cylinder should work fine. Have forced myself to use lighter loads, more open chokes and/or spreaders ( grew up being told that you had to use a full choke and an 1 1/4 oz. of either # 6 or 4 to kill a pheasant) and if I do my part the bird is taken without being mangled.
Over a good pointing dog Skt1 and Skt2 should be more than sufficient.
For the new super pheasant loads, they are just what several niches of shooters can use but I fear in too many hands they will just be greater cripplers. Conventional shotgun wisdom was rather well set in stone when model T's were still common. Shoot several types of clays and you should be fine.

Read more: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... z15be4dLfh