[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Hand fitting a barrel to S&W Model 10

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Bought the revolver on sale with no barrel. Gunborker had a 2" for not a lot & it was in great shape when it showed up here. My concerns were that the frame would be sprung from some bonehead armorer not using a fixture, but it was straight as could be. I was also concerned the threads wouldn't be compatible - no worries there, either.

Of course, it needed to be hand fitted to line up right. It came up about 1/3 turn short of the front sight lining up Top Dead Center. The cure for that? Please pass the large Mill Bastage file.

As always, you can take it off, but you can't put it back, so I did the cut & try bit. File, file, file - put the barrel on... take it back off and file again. It didn't take all that much to get it lined up just right. Then it was adjust the barrel/cylinder gap. That didn't take much, either. Got it to an eyeball .003" with same said Mill Bastage file.

I was set to cut the forcing cone again but will wait until I do the test fire for that.

Kinda hard to see, but this is the gap from the barrel not lining up right.
IMG_2481 (2).JPG
IMG_2481 (2).JPG [ 397.6 KiB | Viewed 8473 times ]

After mucho CAREFUL filing, I had it this close. Next try was dead nutz on.
IMG_2482 (2).JPG
IMG_2482 (2).JPG [ 327.38 KiB | Viewed 8473 times ]

There! Close enough for RR work!
IMG_2483 (2).JPG
IMG_2483 (2).JPG [ 342.89 KiB | Viewed 8473 times ]

The finished product cleaned and ready to test fire.
IMG_2486 (2).JPG
IMG_2486 (2).JPG [ 933.37 KiB | Viewed 8473 times ]

This was like so many of these projects - once you jump in, there's no going back. But I'm happy with it. I have a decent 2" model 10 for actual hundreds less than I saw them on Gunborker. Now to score a set of decent grips! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:41 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I'd be interested in the velocity you'd get with mild handloads. There was a 4" stainless k-66 well into my distant past that was pretty astounding with fart powered wad cutters. Hard to believe that accuracy came from a wheel gun with a shorter than 6" pipe...

Regards ,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice job , you have an enviable revolver in that one , what caliber did you say it was ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:49 pm 

38 Special :bigrin:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

love it , i would be happy with that ,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 pm 

LGS had a set of Pachmayr grips & they make it fit my hand a lot better. Found my forcing cone cutter and did that while it was apart. I'll get out tomorrow & run more ammo through it. SW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wonderful job , show us photos of the finished product when you get time , i am home till the 13th and will need a little entertainment between cleaning projects , hoping all goes back to normal after that but a bit of distraction can never hurt what ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:57 pm 

I meant to do that today, but it took most of the day getting a care package off to Belgium. Turns out they won't ship hand sanitizer because it has a lot of alcohol in it. :roll:

But after going home & removing it - then re-typing the customs declaration, it finally passed muster. The Easter candy, books and MAGA cap are on the way! SW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats OK , sounds as you had your hands full , they are really picky these days are they not ? some stuff seems really dumb in the big picture - fingernail clippers in TSA line ? im sure there is a good reason behind them that might make sense but "FOR THE GREATER GOOD" jumps up in my face when i try to say that out loud "COMMON SENSE" right after that , i know the founding fathers did not see today when they wrote it but what awesome foresight in the actual wording - now we just need lawyers that can actually read .........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:01 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Fitting /timing a barrel. Formula: 1" didvided by number of threads per inch = the amount to remove to do one complete turn of the barrel. Divide that by 3 (in your case you said 1/3 turn to line up) and that is the amount you need to remove to get sight line up. A little less stock removal say .002 -.003 will give you torque on the barrel.
I do have the formula for torqueing a Mauser barrel if you need it.
Did you check the forcing cone to cylinder gap?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:37 am 

I knew there was a mathematical way to figure thread pitch vs distance, but math is my weak spot. I just did the cut and try bit - must have taken the barrel off 15 times before I got it just right.

The thread pitch is very fine - it amazed me how much difference 5 file strokes would make, and I wasn't leaning on the file too hard.

My closest friend was a self-taught machinist and math whiz... he could have told me how much to remove without batting an eye. But he couldn't have gone without chucking the barrel up and carefully machining it to spec.

After cutting the forcing cone, I gave it another 3 file strokes & my automotive feeler gauge shows about .003" barrel/cylinder gap.

I really shouldn't try stunts like this - I am NOT any kind of gunsmith. SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:35 pm 

The story continues. Took the 2" Model 10 and my "race revolver" out for a velocity comparison. Load was 158 grain LSWC over 3.0/Titegroup. All these were loaded on my Dillon at the same time which should mean minimum variation. In theory, anyway.

IMG_2490 (2).JPG
IMG_2490 (2).JPG [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 8402 times ]

2" Model 10
1. 651fps
2. 789
3. 692
4. 665
5. 678 for an average of 695 fps

6" heavy barrel
1. 700 fps
2. 788
3. 744
4. 743
5. 803 for an average of 755 fps

I'm not sure what to make of it... I figured velocity difference would be more than that.

I forgot a target, but I smacked top of a beer can @ about 7 paces with shot #1 - next 4 shots hit the can but no group to report. Whatever it's doing, I'm still way happy with it. SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i would be happy with that but then im not the shootist you are , im aiming at 12"-18" square or rounds at that distance in my venue not a beer can , congrats :grin:

i too would have guessed a bigger spread between the two , but then i have never tried it either , i tend to a 5 1/2" or 4 3/4" barrel length in what i shoot , i do have the 8" 1858 with the conversion cylinder but have only plinked with it so far not really tried it in a real setting , i had always thought it might be more accurate , i am pushing a 45colt through a 44 barrel ,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:42 pm 

Finally made it out with a target just now to see how well the amateur barrel installation worked. Smaller group was fired from about 10 paces single action. Larger group was 25 paces or so & I was trying to be cool and shoot double action... looks like I better stick with single action until I get practiced up with it.

The gun hasn't been shot much at all & has a heavy trigger pull. Since this is intended to be a concealed carry gat, I'll leave well enough alone.

Overall, I'm happy how the project turned out. Close enough for RR work! ;) :bigrin: SW

IMG_2491 (2).JPG
IMG_2491 (2).JPG [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 8308 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i would not be unhappy with those results , looks like success to me with that short barrel , as a CCW it should serve fine , you obviously have one for accurate target work , i dont have my chart handy for low left hits ,