[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Converting cap-n-ball revolver to centerfire

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:23 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I scored a Pietta crap-n-ball revolver for cheep recently and not content to leave well enough alone, I ordered a 38LC conversion cylinder from Buffalo Arms. Not cheep.

Got it in today, and it was a drop-on fit! Functioned like a champ! Just for grins, I tried 38 Specials in the cylinderr and they fit! The semi wadcutters I use for CCW practice fit & cylinder function was normal!

Well, I'm not as umb-day as I look... I ain't shooting hot 38s in a black powder revolver. I had a box of .360 round balls that are too small for the BP cylinder ( .375 is the right diameter) but the balls are a tight fit in the barrel. I weighed several @ 80+ grains & then looked up the lightest load for that weight bullet.

Lyman #49 shows 3.0 grains of 700X with a 90 grain bullet as the lightest load. I figured that load with a 10 grain lighter ball should be all right and it was! I made 10 loads up & went out for a function test. NO recoil! Very quiet! Smacked a paper grocery bag 5 x 5 @ about 20 paces. Tried the other 5 at various ranges & not too far off the rudimentary sights.

An ejector rod assembly is available for another $125, but I'm cheep & a pencil will work just fine. Actually, fired cases dropped from the cylinder. I think if somebody wanted a ready to run 38 special open top revolver, Cimarron makes one that can handle hotter ammo.

Pics follow:

Before:

zConversion 003 (800x357).jpg
zConversion 003 (800x357).jpg [ 139.48 KiB | Viewed 5496 times ]

The cylinder w/ loading gate:

zConversion 005 (800x460).jpg
zConversion 005 (800x460).jpg [ 147.85 KiB | Viewed 5496 times ]

The cylinder with 38 special semi-wadcutters. They fit & functioned!

zConversion 009 (800x592).jpg
zConversion 009 (800x592).jpg [ 203.33 KiB | Viewed 5496 times ]

Pietta with conversion cylinder in place. Drop in with no adjustments.

zConversion 008 (800x533).jpg
zConversion 008 (800x533).jpg [ 206.07 KiB | Viewed 5496 times ]

Loaded ammo. .360 round ball with 3.3 grains of 700X. Very mild and quiet.

zConversion 014 (800x533).jpg
zConversion 014 (800x533).jpg [ 190.72 KiB | Viewed 5496 times ]

The next item is to open up the frame so rounds will easily enter the loading gate. The cylinder came with a template you glue ( I'll use spray glue) to the receiver. The instructions say to use a Dremel with grinding attachment & it will take "2 to 3 hours if parts are allowed to cool as needed". I might try to see if a half round mill bastage file will do the deal. Plenty o' time for that.

I like it!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:34 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i think id shoot that for SASS , nice looking rig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 pm 

Finished it up today. I scored a round single cut bastage file & used my ratty Dremel for the job. Another worthwhile tool is a dedicated SAA screwdriver.

The cylinder came with cut-out templates you are supposed to glue to the frame as a guide where to cut. The Dremel quickly messed it up.

Never say die - I did the cut-n-try bit. I started out using 100 file strokes until I had quite a bit of metal gone - then 50 file strokes and lessening numbers as the cut got close to where a 38 special would drop right into the cylinder.

Now that I'm done, I really can't recommend this to others. I had to remove a lot more metal than I thought, but once I started I figured there was no turning back.

So it was file file file - grind grind grind - repeat as necessary. Took about 2 hours altogether which was what the directions said. Put a flexible abrasive tip in the Dremel to polish everything & cold blued the cut. Made up 20 of the wimpy loads & it worked just fine.

I like it! Being too cheep to buy the dedicated ejector rod @ $125, I found an old pen that works just fine.

Now I need to watch the G,B & U to see if Blondie's pistola has a cut for loading cartridges. I'm pretty sure his doesn't have an ejector rod & still has the ball rammer.

Bottom line? I think you'd be just as well off to score a Cimarron 38 already converted... unless you can grab a Pietta or Uberti for way cheep.

This was a lot harder to do than it looks. SW

1) The frame with the cheep template in place. It didn't last long.

zConversion 003 (800x486).jpg
zConversion 003 (800x486).jpg [ 241.44 KiB | Viewed 5482 times ]

2) About halfway done.

zConversion 004 (735x800).jpg
zConversion 004 (735x800).jpg [ 247.73 KiB | Viewed 5482 times ]

zConversion 006 (800x534).jpg
zConversion 006 (800x534).jpg [ 212.67 KiB | Viewed 5482 times ]

3) Back together & ready to shoot.

zConversion 012 (800x533).jpg
zConversion 012 (800x533).jpg [ 216.97 KiB | Viewed 5482 times ]

4) Tools used: Round file and Dremel. I also recited a few pages from the Funk & Wagnals curse word compendium.

zConversion 013 (800x453).jpg
zConversion 013 (800x453).jpg [ 199.68 KiB | Viewed 5482 times ]

5) Another shot showing how much metal I had to file away.

zConversion 016 (769x800).jpg
zConversion 016 (769x800).jpg [ 294.13 KiB | Viewed 5482 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

".... I also recited a few pages from the Funk & Wagnals curse word compendium...."

im certain these are the ones they 'stored in a mayonaise jar on the porch' tho right ?

that would make it perfectly OK on the tonight show as it originally existed and in my book as well ...

nice project

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:58 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Congrats on finishing. I have looked at the conversion kits and wondered, I think you have convinced me to go with one that is already setup to use regular .38 spl., I think that project would drive me a bit farther around the bend than I should venture.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I must say that looks great,,,,,, I have a Amy sanmarco that in .44 that shoots good just the way it is, I was wondering how the cartridge got through.. now I see you have to remove metal......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the metal removal would bother me greatly , i agree with buying one already made-to-order , but i must commend you on a fantastic job ,