[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - My new project 22 sat outside for 23 years

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:41 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I think I mentioned wifey's seester was going through junk pickups & tractors before the scrap metal cutter-upper guy had at them & she found a Ruger 22 auto pistola in a glove box of a pickup that had a burned up motor. We figured it up & it had been there for at least 23 years. she told me it was "pretty rusty" & I assumed the worst. I also scored a brang new upper off gunborker for a fast 50.

I get in from work this AM & was quite pleased to see a 22 that WILL run again! I don't think heat from the burning engine hurt anything since the magazine works fine & the trigger pops back normally after dry firing. It took some WD-40 and manual cycling, but the bolt moves freely now & it dry fires 1/3 of the time. The bore is junk of course, but I mostly wanted the new upper since it's D&T... and I have a nice Red Dot scope I've never used.

So instead of soaking in diesel for a couple weeks, I'll hose it down good with WD-40 & chuck up a wire brush in my cheep drill press. So far I think all I'll need is a spring kit. Woo hoo!! Cheep toys are good! :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin: SW

zRust 002 (1280x807).jpg
zRust 002 (1280x807).jpg [ 501.31 KiB | Viewed 16576 times ]

zRust 003 (1280x797).jpg
zRust 003 (1280x797).jpg [ 446.05 KiB | Viewed 16576 times ]

zRust 023 (1280x999).jpg
zRust 023 (1280x999).jpg [ 887.49 KiB | Viewed 16576 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:47 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Not bad looking for more than 2 decades in a glovebox. Looks like a fun project, but then I'm a bit partial to Ruger Mk.1's & 2's. Keep us posted on progress.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:39 pm 

No time today but I did discover how to take the upper off. Google-fu works! SW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:58 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...that exact model is the first pistol I ever bought back in '79 or 80....dont remember 'xactly...but it was one of them 2... I wuz stoopid and bought it cause it reminded me of a P 08 Lugar....:crzy:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:56 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Taking them apart is easy, but I can never get that blasted hammer strut back into the spring housing in less three attempts and a bit of rather colorful language my wife find quite inappropriate. (except when she uses it, and that she will never admit to doing)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:04 am 

Yes. Reciting 2 or 3 pages from the Funk & Wagnall's Unabridged Curse Word Compendium actually helps! ;) SW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:23 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

My carpenter brother was redoing someone's house and found one of these in a wet cellar. The rust was not quite as bad as yours but the left hand holster had some bite marks on it. It is my favorite go-to pistol. I am right handed.

Bern

Attachments:
Ruger Standard 005.JPG
Ruger Standard 005.JPG [ 146.24 KiB | Viewed 16559 times ]
Ruger Standard 004.JPG
Ruger Standard 004.JPG [ 171.39 KiB | Viewed 16559 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:33 pm 

I just got it ALL the way apart - cleaned - scrubbed the rust off & discovered the new upper has some dimensional differences. The loaded chamber indicator ( thank yew, risk management :roll: ) came out but it's too tight to run.

I scrubbed the bore & it's actually excellent. Bullet lube must have preserved it & dirt just blew in over the years.

So I put the old upper back on but can't QUITE get the take down lever back in. I was gnashing my teeth a little too vigorously so it's time for a break. A nap is sounding good right now. SW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 pm 

Okay... after a nice nap I dived back in & got everything that is held by the hammer pin back in place right. Held my mouth just right & got the hammer strut where it was supposed to go with a minimum of sweat.

Took it out for a test drive & it ran w/o a bobble! I'll address the new upper issues later on - shouldn't take all that much. For now I just want a new set of grips tpo keep the hammer pin from walking out & a new front sight blade. Looks like some bonehead ( not me) dropped it on the front sight more than once.

It doesn't look like a big improvement, but it felt good to get it running relaibly after all those years. SW

zBetter 001 (1280x784).jpg
zBetter 001 (1280x784).jpg [ 441.83 KiB | Viewed 16550 times ]

zBetter 002 (1280x783).jpg
zBetter 002 (1280x783).jpg [ 494.49 KiB | Viewed 16550 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:05 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

time for a spray on coat of duro caot from Brownells! :jmp:

I tried to wear one of these out when I lived on the farm......shot a hundred rounds a day for practice.....single and living at home ALWAYS has it's rewards!
anyhoo....the trigger broke in half one year....called RUger(no email in the 70's!) and they sent me a new trigger free~
can't remember where the pistol got offt to....I THINK I left it in my truck I sold.......... :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:09 am 
The Knife
The Knife

The serial # dates it to 1952.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

1952 , thats a fine old ruger , i like her in that cleaned look , even the old grip scales would satisfy me , just a little more work with that brass bristled brush and oil ,

but i agree that duracoat could make her look new again , and new grip scales would dress her up ,

these are really awsome running pieces ,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:18 pm 

It's a rainy day here ( Yay!! :bigrin: ) and since I cleaned the garage yesterday, it was time to goof off in the gun room. I finally got the new upper on and it runs great.

The big hold up was the plastic loaded chamber indicator. The old bolt isn't relieved for it. So out that piece of risk management crap-ola came & things went much smoother.

There was still a little metal to relieve & it didn't take much to have free bolt travel. I'm still debating how to plug the nasty void where the piece of sh.... plastic was.

There's a gun show this weekend & I'll see about a new set o' grips - those are an absolute necessity to keep the hammer pin from trying to leave.

Something I discovered was don't try to tap the trigger pin out. It's held in place by a tiny keeper clip that is a REAL bastage to remove and even tougher to replace. As in 'unless there's a pressing reason to remove the trigger group... DON'T!'. SW

Shot of new upper in place with loaded chamber indicator removed.

zNewBolt 001 (1024x493).jpg
zNewBolt 001 (1024x493).jpg [ 319.11 KiB | Viewed 16526 times ]

New upper in place with old upper for comparison. Loaded chamber indicator parts shown for size pperspective.

zNewBolt 004 (1024x623).jpg
zNewBolt 004 (1024x623).jpg [ 375.26 KiB | Viewed 16526 times ]

The whole thing looks a lot better from this side.

zNewBolt 005 (1024x771).jpg
zNewBolt 005 (1024x771).jpg [ 387.57 KiB | Viewed 16526 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

while i agree it looks improved , i would spend extra effort on its original bits to restore it to some glory in original form , just me and just sayin ...........

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:59 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Does it work now?

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:08 pm 

Yup! It runs like a champ! The only bobble is that the safety/bolt hold open doesn't work. The grips were warped from sitting in that glove box all those years. Being too cheep to buy a new set, I boiled the old ones for a half hour.

Sounds extreme, but it works! I sat them on a counter with a Websters Unabridged ( really!) to keep them flat. Right back in spec! The upper is factory D&T for a scope mount. I need to find which one as I have a red dot I could hang on it. SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:49 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

OK , im all for the red dot , it will be fun , post photos please :grin:

but keep that old upper with it , if i were a future owner id want that ability to have it original ,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:43 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

BTW, Todd from Family Firearms and Finishes (another forum) advised me that you boil the wood and let the wood and water return to room temperature. This reduces the warpage. I shall do this with some hand guards down the road.

He did show me a SKS he did like that and it looked NEW IN BOX….quite impressive. Be sure to make sure the wood doesn't float with a brick or two.

Best Regards,

Mark