[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Finishing up a revolver kit

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I got this from gunborker - a mostly finished 1860 C&B. Timing & lockup are spot on, but it's a trifle rough. Starts out like-a this-a:
zKit1.jpg
zKit1.jpg [ 87.06 KiB | Viewed 8909 times ]

zKit3.jpg
zKit3.jpg [ 122.74 KiB | Viewed 8909 times ]

Here we see how rough the sides are:
Smoooth 001 (800x628).jpg
Smoooth 001 (800x628).jpg [ 257.25 KiB | Viewed 8909 times ]

Smoooth 002 (800x531).jpg
Smoooth 002 (800x531).jpg [ 264.03 KiB | Viewed 8909 times ]

Please pass the mill bastage file! :bigrin:
Smoooth 004 (800x585).jpg
Smoooth 004 (800x585).jpg [ 231.12 KiB | Viewed 8909 times ]

And flexible abrasives for hand polishing out file tracksl
Smoooth 005 (800x533).jpg
Smoooth 005 (800x533).jpg [ 274.66 KiB | Viewed 8908 times ]

After mucho back-n-forth mit der file, we have achieved smoothness.
Smoooth 006 (800x451).jpg
Smoooth 006 (800x451).jpg [ 241.58 KiB | Viewed 8908 times ]

Smoooth 007 (800x533).jpg
Smoooth 007 (800x533).jpg [ 217.32 KiB | Viewed 8908 times ]

Maybe not as smooth as Britney's butt cheeks, but close enough for RR work. ;) ;) :bigrin: Also close enough for SiL. More posts tomorrow as the project progesses. SW

Attachments:
Smoooth 006 (800x451).jpg
Smoooth 006 (800x451).jpg [ 241.58 KiB | Viewed 8909 times ]
zKit3.jpg
zKit3.jpg [ 122.74 KiB | Viewed 8909 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats looking much better , i envey you ..

always wanted to do a project like this but dont feel adequately tallented and am generally short on time ,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:50 pm 

I don't have time, either! Or talent! It's just a matter of jumping in - once you get your feet wet, there's no turning back! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:35 pm 

Well, Friends... I have failed you. This was an extremely labor-intensive project, but I failed to take pics as I went along. For one thing, once I had grease and metal filings on my hands, I didn't want to handle my camera... That and when I dived in and saw progress, I couldn't bring myself to stop.

So look to the pics above and notice the "pebble" texture seen on the barrel. Like it was investment cast and not finished up. I hand polished all that smooth. And it took quite a while! The brass grip frame was also a casting, but was much easier to polish. I finished all the hand polishing with a felt bob and Simichrome. ( FELT bob - not sponge bob ;) ) Wore out two felt bobs - they flat fell apart - but it made a difference. Really spiffed up the brass.

In the top pic you can see how bubba went through the motions of checkering it. Fortunately, the grips were oversize and I was able to sand 95% of those marks out.

The steel frame was badly scored. I took my mill bastage file to those tracks and quickly discovered the frame wasn't in square. Must have warped a bit when heat treated. So it was file, file, file... polish, polish, polish until everything looked kinda sorta close to done.

A fellow forum member and friend offered to dunk it in a hot tank, but since it's really supposed to be color cased - and for SiL who is easily amused - I just went with cold blue. Close enough for RR work.

This pic shows the assembled revolver. Compare the barrel assembly to the pic above. Luckily, I was able to remove all the "pebble finish" left from the casting and smooth it down.
project1 002 (800x404).jpg
project1 002 (800x404).jpg [ 169.54 KiB | Viewed 8892 times ]

Same scenario - opposite side
project1 004 (800x604).jpg
project1 004 (800x604).jpg [ 219.32 KiB | Viewed 8892 times ]

Another shot showing the smoother work areas - also the smoother grips.
project1 007 (800x472).jpg
project1 007 (800x472).jpg [ 185.72 KiB | Viewed 8892 times ]

Revolver after mucho cold blue, BLO and hand rubbing to luster
project1 010 (800x351).jpg
project1 010 (800x351).jpg [ 147.43 KiB | Viewed 8892 times ]

Other side of blued and hand polished revolver
project1 011 (800x340).jpg
project1 011 (800x340).jpg [ 170.76 KiB | Viewed 8892 times ]

Again, please forgive me for not taking pics as I went along. Once I started seeing actual progress, I just couldn't bring myself to stop. Overall it turned out better than I anticipated. I didn't think the pebble surface would be curable. I think at the factory they have dedicated jigs for this work - like just clamp the part in the jig and wail away.

You know... Buffalo Arms offers a 45 Schofield cartridge cylinder for this model... I think I'll tell SiL he can have this or the $. It really wouldn't take a lot of filing to open up the frame for the cylinder w/ loading gate! 8-)

So what did I use? The 8" mill bastage file shown above - a metric crap-ton of masking tape to keep from messing up adjoining surfaces - a round single cut bastage file - the Cratex flexible abrasive kit. No Dremel for those - I hand rubbed the pebbling from the steel - I did use the Dremel and felt bobs to final polish with Simichrome. You pretty much need a tube o' that. You also need a case of OCD to keep going when nothing looks like it will turn out.

More pics next time! I promise! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:22 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....SiL not deserving ...send to me...!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

....nice job... ;) :Dbounce:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:02 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Cold blue did a great job. I have some around here that I did in Oxpho-blue 20 years ago that still look great. Rust blued some of my own and a lot for customers, but just to labor intensive for me.
Great Job Bud! Now on to the next project.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:58 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

:Dbounce:
that has a tomtom approval factor of 10!

working brass will spoil you....cause the steel parts are a B*($#H sometimes....slow and painful to get smooth by hand........

looks great!....now to go shoot??......... :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:29 am 

I probably won't shoot it - I'm too cheep to buy a box o' balls. Something else I thought of - and that you already know - it is NOT easy to polish like that and keep sharp edges. Somehow it worked out though.

I'd rather be lucky than good. ;) :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I am truly impressed kameraden

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i understand about the photos , i would not handle the camera while i was working either , you did a nice job of saving this one , tell me about the cylinder engraving

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 pm 

The cyl just has the roll mark from the factory. It was pretty much finished so I left well enough alone & didn't monkey around with it. SW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Ok , it looked a little like some kind of scene that i could not make out from the photos , i thought maybe you were trying your hand at engraving ,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm 

Shoot... if I could engrave, I wouldn't have to beat my butt up & down the rail. I'd go pards with kaintuck making flintgrinders! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:01 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ahhh , so it wasnt just my old eyes playin tricks on me , thanks i learned something new again ,