[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Percussion cap kit

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Percussion cap kit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:18 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I dropped a mild bid on this and got it. Lo & behold, it's all there!

kit 003 (1024x637).jpg
kit 003 (1024x637).jpg [ 354.6 KiB | Viewed 9785 times ]

Step one:

I like a 'vintage' look so I'll drawfile marks off the barrel & send it to kaintuck for browning & a secret aging process. ;) The lock, too!

kit 006 (1024x258).jpg
kit 006 (1024x258).jpg [ 101.65 KiB | Viewed 9785 times ]

Proceeding on the theory of eating an elephant one bite at a time, next order of biz is staining the stock. The box announces a "walnut" stock. Not! It's beech! But that's okay. That wood is hard to stain unless you use a water-based dye. A friend recommended Rit dye mixed strong. I only made a quart from one package. A pair of stainless steel hemostats & chunk of old sock... that il Mutt had shredded.

kit 009 (1024x519).jpg
kit 009 (1024x519).jpg [ 328.76 KiB | Viewed 9785 times ]

Then paint the stock & let dry. Further applications of dye will darken it. I already used this method on the Beretta 22 trainer handguard I hand fitted. Works like a champ!

kit 011 (1024x664).jpg
kit 011 (1024x664).jpg [ 304.92 KiB | Viewed 9785 times ]

I'll let this dry & stain to a dark color. Then the other side. SW

(The junk to the side is my Torino 1900 flare gun in need of grips.)

kit 013 (1024x595).jpg
kit 013 (1024x595).jpg [ 463.52 KiB | Viewed 9785 times ]

Post subject: Re: Percussion cap kit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

fun project , keep posting as you go - i need to try something like this if i can make the time

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:35 pm 

The stock is getting darker. It took 10 applications of brown Rit dye to achieve this shade. I'm going for darker. I think a few hand-rubbed coats of BLO will finish it off.

kit2 007 (1024x310).jpg
kit2 007 (1024x310).jpg [ 268.47 KiB | Viewed 9771 times ]

Here's the barrel before I started draw filing. I stayed on this side.

kit2 001 (1024x325).jpg
kit2 001 (1024x325).jpg [ 277.28 KiB | Viewed 9771 times ]

After about 20 minutes, the marks looked a lot fainter.

kit2 006 (1024x294).jpg
kit2 006 (1024x294).jpg [ 196.64 KiB | Viewed 9771 times ]

The trick is to keep the file flat against the barrel so the lines stay straight. Kaintuck can do this in his sleep. Me? Not so much! ;) SW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

tricky work , you want the sides to stay flat and the edges crisp , looking good

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:03 pm 

I sent the barrel & lock off to our pal, kaintuck who "aged" the parts. He didn't say just how he did that, but I suspect his stinky shop foreman played a part. ;) :-o :crzy: :rotflma:

Something to keep in mind if you want to try a Spanish made kit is that they take a LOT of hand fitting. This one is all together, but much work remains. Like adjust the trigger so it pivots freely - inlet the lock - inlet the trigger guard... and generally spiff it up.

The stock didn't turn out too bad... for beech. Always buy walnut if you have a choice. SW

kit 002 (1024x418).jpg
kit 002 (1024x418).jpg [ 364.69 KiB | Viewed 9761 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

turned out really nice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:47 pm 

I jumped back in tonight to address certain issues. Like the lock wasn't drilled & tapped for the screws that came with the kit. I had a tap & die set on hand from some other hare-brained project & it actually had the right size.

Measure 5 or 6 times - drill once. Then tap. Viola!! it worked! Put it back together to find the screws were too long. Took it apart again & ran the screws in from the outside & ground to length on the inside of the lock.

Took the trigger out & filed the sharp corners down = it's smooth now! Not much hope for the trigger guard. There's only so much room so I contoured it a bit & left well enough alone.

Then came the ramrod. The ends were turned down for brass fittings - just not enough. Hmmm... I finally chucked it up in my elect. drill & held sandpaper over the end to reduce diameter. Worked like a champ! I just need to color it now. Possibly a striped design of some sort.

This is pretty much it. If someone ever tells you the Spanish kits are easy, I am here to tell you they take a LOT of hand fitting.

Tomorrow comes the test fire! :bigrin: This took a while, but it was fun & I'm happy with it. Thank yew, kaintuck!!! :bigrin: And your stinky shop foreman, too! ;) SW

kit2 001 (1024x406).jpg
kit2 001 (1024x406).jpg [ 412.67 KiB | Viewed 9751 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

fun - take some photos for us

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:28 pm 

I forgot a camera, but it was a flawless function test! It seems to shoot to the sights, too! Wifey's great nephew enjoyed my flintlock when he was here not long ago...

I'll check to see if guns like this are legal in the people's republic of NY & have rich seester take it out there as a Christmas gift to him. SW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

glad to hear it worked well , good luck with that new york gifting - i cannot believe there is a pocket of america - anywhere that does not respect our 2nd amendment - but we all know there is , young man is a lucky one in my book ,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:00 am 

If any of you gents are feeling froggy, here's an identical kit for cheep. Looks like a walnut stock in this one. A great project for this winter! ;) SW

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =513854932

0.kit1.jpg
0.kit1.jpg [ 70.88 KiB | Viewed 9741 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i want one - but i have no disposable time for a kit like this - it would languish in my home i fear till after i was dead - then be thrown or given away , i need kaintuk to make me one that matches my rifle ,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:49 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Last I knew you can have a black powder pistol
As long as you didn't have Any of the components
To fire it. If you have even one components, you better
Have a pistol permit to put it on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

where is that the law ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:08 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

New York state
I don't know if the unsafe act changed that.?