[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Changing out barreled action on a 577 Snider

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:02 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I bought a Snider musket several years ago & discovered 1st round it had a bulged chamber. Had to smack the case a LICK to get it out & it was ruined for reloading.

Stood it against the wall and FINALLY found a barreled receiver. Got that in to discover the breech block wouldn't open. Finally drifted the hinge pin out and used a long punch to drive the locking pin forward to release the breech block from the receiver.

Started out like this. Breech block would NOT budge.
IMG_0154 (2).JPG
IMG_0154 (2).JPG [ 481.68 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

After the steps mentioned above, got it off to find no issues.
IMG_0155 (2).JPG
IMG_0155 (2).JPG [ 452.29 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

Root cause of the trouble - solidified yak fat. I'm not making this up - not much for petroleum based preservatives or grease in Nepal so they used yak fat. No - it doesn't smell very nice.

Shown here is the hinge pin (top) and locking pin. Both were nearly immovable. Got them soaking in alcohol now. I figure 2 or 3 days should soften the yak fat.
IMG_0156 (2).JPG
IMG_0156 (2).JPG [ 208.15 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

Side shot of the breech block. What a mess! I think the gun was only given a cursory cleaning when it was removed from the crate. Certainly not in a dedicated parts cleaner. The breech block itself was partially stuck. Took gentle tapping with a nylon hammer to get it out.
IMG_0159 (2).JPG
IMG_0159 (2).JPG [ 202.88 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

I'm pretty sure this gun was native made. Due to my crappy photography, it's not too clear, but it looks like strips of metal were forge welded around a mandrel. There's no pitting, so it really doesn't worry me about safe firing. IMG_0161 (2).JPG
IMG_0161 (2).JPG [ 415.21 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

I was concerned about barrel condition but it was excellent. Yak fat is a great metal preservative. I've never seen a bad yak fat barrel! No bulges, dents or mud dauber nests.

And just for grins, here's a comparison shot of 577 Snider vs 45-70.
IMG_0162 (2).JPG
IMG_0162 (2).JPG [ 184.64 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

Profuse apologies for the bad photography. I was too lazy to go back downstairs for a reshoot.

Next up - after mucho elbow grease and scrubbing is swapping out parts and test fire. SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice project , and i think the photos tell the story you were trying to convey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:09 pm 

The adventure continues... I meant to have another illustrated post showing completion, but not to be. It's kicking my butt!

Got it cleaned and assembled - no easy job in itself - but can't make the breech locking lug/release lever work. The bulged chamber gun is a Brit Snider - the sound barreled action gun is native made, and the parts don't quite interchange.

I've had 2 other Sniders and looked for any parts in small containers I have scattered around my reloading/working on guns room. Organized? Me? Maybe in the next life.

Found a release lever pivot screw but no release lever. Also found a Type 14 Nambu firing pin for which I searched desperately a couple years ago. But I sold the Nambu so if any of you lurkers need a FP, it's yours for cost of a padded envelope and $3 postage.

Next step - search for a Snider-Enfield parts source. I know - good luck with that. Fortunately, my other 577 Snider works just fine so I have that going for me.

Anybody fancy a Snider that could use a little work? ;) :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

parts can be some of the most frustrating elements of a project , not sure id tackle a snyder - thought of it once , then found a functioning example , i commend you on taking it on ,

i would think there must be some of those yak fat covered nepali units out there to scavange from , good luck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:02 pm 

Snider - round 3...

Sitting at my desk in the gun room getting Snider parts in order for reassembly, I noticed something on the floor. Not unusual, but it looked more like a gun part rather than a deceased spidey.

Lo & behold it was the breech locking lug that had fallen from the 'other' Snider without me noticing it. Well! Put the breech block back together and it almost worked.

Messed around and made a filler to give the release lever a better angle and... Bingo! It works now! When I want it to, even!

Started to assemble the entire gun to discover Nepali barreled actions don't interface well with Brit stocks. Rats.

So now comes hand fitting the barreled action to the stock. I don't mind hand fitting work, and I don't think this will take all that much.

My takeaways from this adventure: a) I'd rather be lucky than good and b) it's another 'eat the elephant one bite at a time' adventure.

It might take a while, but I'll get-r-done! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

congrats - nice when things work out well , :grin: