[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Making a 3 x 52 screw

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making a 3 x 52 screw
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:22 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:46 pm 
Major
Major

3 hrs labor+ 1 oz sweat, + 1 headache from eye strain= 1 small screw...
and I bet you'd do it again..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:51 am 
Major
Major

My Starrett gage has thirty threads, but no 52 threads per inch. It just has 50 and 56 and it is 33 years old. The closest metric is .5 mm pitch. That translates into 50.8 thread per inch. Cumulative lead error?? I had to do a similar thing to get 8mm x.8. Luckily 5/16x32 is very very close using a split die. so much for standardization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:50 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My thread gauge only goes to 38 tpi but I have a Brownell tap set that has a 3 x 52 tap and that fit the hole perfect. I then went through the Japanese Armorer set and found the split die and the threads matched perfectly. Here is a picture of the die and I'm not sure what the 2.6 means. 1/4" drill for comparison with screw. roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is very interesting , my father had a lot of these tools and equipment , but along the way they disapeared :( , he may have given them away , and some may have been loaned , but i suspect my brother has a lot of tools he knows nothing about ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:28 pm 
Major
Major

Roy

That's a neat shot of the die. Very interesting design. As to the 2.6 its in Japanese. :lol :lol :lol :lol Ok now I have to eat my hat. .

Could the 2.6 be 2.6 mm the diameter +/ - screw it was designed to make? That is about 0.2mm away from a # three's major diameter.

Last edited by oldernavy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:16 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:48 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

now that set off a bell in my head .........i know , that ringing sound is normal at my age ........i have a copy of MACHINERY right here on the shelf , inside cover is marked with my grandfathers name - 1942 date of publication as well so he bought/recieved it new

below that is a criptic note :
wt. steel - 0.28333lbs/cu-in [ then] brass - 0.31 lbs/cu in aprox for avg mixt

i have no idea what he was involved with at that date , but viking pump was producing pumps for all branches of the armed service as well as the merchant marines , and they were producing artillery shells too ,

theres a price sheet for viking jacketed pumps dated april 2 , 1949 superceeding aug 20 , 1937 ---now thats a while between price changes ehh?
its actualy a scrap paper - has a sketch on the back defining some mathematical formula ive not seen since college

and a chart of keys & keyways
and two bookmarks with formulas to change 56 drill to .055 wire
and one referancing 5hp / 12hp at 134rpm to 5650 in-lbs and 10-12000 in-lbs

and a calling card for : thomas m. mckay , central tools company , 6270 west north avenue , chicago 39
tel 637-8580
he represented :
american broach & machine
a. g. davis gage & eng co.
davis hydra-grip div
erickson tool co
formcraft tool co
subland cutting tools inc

he must have been someone my grandfather trusted and liked , or the card would not have been saved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:30 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:46 am 
Major
Major

Cool when all else fails make it yourself. I love my metalworking tools too!!

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:34 am 
Colonel
Colonel

All I know is I wish I lived next door to Riceone!!!! Maybe he needs to adopt me :D :D :D

Do you need an adopted 46 yr old son?? Heir sounds better :) :)

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:25 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

When I got into being a maintainence machinist I bought a thread guage at sears and it has a range of 4- 84 threads and it has 52 in it. Miss having the availibilty of machines to make things.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:53 pm 
Major
Major

Herr M,
You can always buy youself a minilathe. They aren't bad, but the pivoting part of the cross slide could be of better design as that is where most of the excess movement comes in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:04 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Mybusa, I'm sort of late finding to answer. 46 year old son would fit in good with my 44 year old son. While we are talking about son's let me tell you about mine.

I had wanted to go to the Louisville, Ky gun show not this weekend but the next but had backed out. Had too much to do getting ready for the new crop. But we have gotten some of that done. Mark called tonight offering to take me up there thinking it was this weekend. Knew I did not want to go alone - about 8 or 9 hour drive. He may develop the same crazyness over old military that I have. Hope so. riceone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I love it :!: Amazing what a feller can do with the right tools :!:

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:13 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member