[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Restoring a T2 Bolt

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring a T2 Bolt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:19 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Someone not only bent this bolt but filed flats on four sides making it impossible to straighten and use.

First thing to do is remove the old handle and new knob for welding on.

Next place parts in block and align and weld.

After much hand filing and sanding here is the finished bolt compared to one of mine.

This was a matching bolt so care was taken to save the number on the root of the handle.

Riceone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:26 pm 
Major
Major

Nice job.

What material is the welding jig trough made of? Soapstone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Its a peice of 3/4" thick steel. I machined the imprint of a bolt in it for use in straightening bolts. I took another peice of metal with the top imprint of a bolt in it and it has a handle. I lay the bent bolt in the jig, heat with a torch and use the handle with the imprint to drive it back down. Japanese steel is very brittle in the handle and you have to bend it back real slow, maybe four heatings. Works very well. Got the idea from the bolt beding blocks that Brownell sells - mine is a bolt straightening block. roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:44 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Riceone

Nice job there, two questions please

With your postings here this may open my eyes to Arisaka’s that I would normally pass up. If one was not in a hurry do you do this kinda of work for those of us with out the means?

Second, I know I brought this up once before but I have an Arisaka that not only had the mum removed but gouged (deep) out with a grinder. Can this be filled in and cleaned up? I’m not concerned with the mum as there is none of it left any ways.

Thanks

Mybusa the challenged

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:10 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

What I charge is minescule compared to a shop up town. I fixed this bolt and will mail it back for $30. Turns out I had to salvage a bolt handle from a damaged bolt I had and did not charge for that. I would not have cut a handle off a good bolt.

There is very little you can do for ground mums. Some are bad as you mentioned. Any welding would, at the least warp the receiver. Most people consider the grinding as just part of the history. If there is a rifle I need to fill a spot in my collection, I look first at the wood. If the stock is not nice I don't want it. Second is the metal and is the bolt and other parts matching to the receiver. Third is the mum. Unless the rifle is rare I will wait for a mum. But none of the above renders a rifle unfit to shoot or collect for that matter. It's sort like whether you drive a Ford or a Lincoln. There is fast approaching the day when ground miss matched rifle will be in demand because all the other are already in someone else's collection. I have bought five very nice and very rare rifles this year and they came from old collectors getting rid of a collection. You more or less have to know someone to get the good stuff. riceone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice , why was it bent and filed in the first place ?
lucky your around to fix bubbas work :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:52 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:27 am 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:19 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

That must have been a common "fix" for those rifles, I have had a few go through my hands that were still in stock condition but the bolts were turned!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin