[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 7.62x25 bolt action

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7.62x25 bolt action
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I would love to build a 7.62x25 bolt action. Were to start i have little clue. Am i the only one with this interest? I would build it like a Spanish pistol carbine. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: 7.62x25 bolt action
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:14 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Could you start with a 32 cal barrel blank? Put it on a short action.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:14 pm 
Major
Major

let me think on this a bit.

Sounds like a worthy project

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:19 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

How about the Spanish destroyer carbine! Most are all ready an odd caliber as it is! Or was that what you were thinking about? That would be a cool little carbine.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:21 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The smallest bolt action I can think of is a Carcano youth carbine. Kinda pricey for a project like this, but altering the bolt face wouldn't be as bad as anything else.

A Marlin model 62 in 30 carbine would be another possibility.
sw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:27 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Hmm I like that. 30 carbine would be fun. I will have to feel this out and see what would be best. I have an old 1889 Swiss sporter with no mag. With some modifications I wonder.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:51 am 
Colonel
Colonel

SW

those Spanish Destroyers are not very big and I Think some of them are 9mm largo? You would have to go down in barrel size or make it 9mm Luger. Heck the options are endless as you could go with a 357 or 38 for that fact. I have a friend with a ton on the barrel blanks. But that 7.62x25 would be nice!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The small bolt rifle actions built for the .25-20 and .32-20 , or the various smaller case .22 centerfires, look to be plenty strong enough.

My Savage 23B has the receiver milled from the barrel so one of these actions would be difficult to convert.
I suppose a rusted out specimen could be drilled out and a barrel liner sweated in place then rechambered.
There are other actions in this class that have the more conventional arrangement.

Another possibilty.
I'd mentioned the out of spec Lithgow action I have which I'm planning to barrel as .410.
Earlier on the idea of using this action to construct a Delise type pistol caliber carbine was a consideration.
I don't really have any pressing need for a pistol caliber carbine though.
But consider this course of action.

Supose you ran across a dirt cheap Enfield sporter bubba'ed beyond redemption.
The Australians often cut a worn out Enfield barrel ahead of the knox form and sweated a cut off barrel of another caliber into the shank, then rechambered for a lower intensity sporting round.

A Enfield barrel that has a dangerously worn throat often has a decent bore further up.
A shank could be drilled out to the breech eliminating the chamber and then tapped to allow the still decent last 16-20 inches of the barrel to be turned and threaded to screw into the shank, then a 7.62X25 chamber cut in the breech of the set back barrel.
The bore size and rifling is in the ball park for the pistol round, though maybe not optimal.
Cut off Mosin Nagant barrels were used to barrel the PPSH SMG afterall.

If I had a Tok or other 7.62 pistol I might have gone that route.

I have been looking for a very small action I could use to construct a .32 long small game rifle, as a companion piece for my Hand Ejector.
I have the cut off from a pristine bore replacement 303 barrel which I found to have been double drilled at the rear sight pin hole. The double drilling left a furrow that nearly cut into the rifling. I cut the barrel at that point to insure no one ever used it, since it was a disaster waiting to happen.
The cut off section is around 17+ inches if I remember correctly. Plenty long enough for a small game rifle in .32 long. Or a 7.62x25 carbine for that matter.

I also have a sportered barrel with a totally worn out throat, the usable section of bore is about the same length but the shank is intact.
This one could be set back into the shank as I oulined above, or the section in front of the knox is thick enough to be turned and threaded for a smaller action.