[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - New Toy

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Toy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:15 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I have been tinkering with repro Japanese for a while and I picked up a nice new toy. It is a duplicating wood lathe.
Heres some pics.

Attachments:
98a 001.jpg
98a 001.jpg [ 134.93 KiB | Viewed 9131 times ]
dupli 002.jpg
dupli 002.jpg [ 213.58 KiB | Viewed 9127 times ]
dupli 001.jpg
dupli 001.jpg [ 215.72 KiB | Viewed 9124 times ]

Post subject: Re: New Toy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

more pics

Attachments:
98b.jpg
98b.jpg [ 60.67 KiB | Viewed 9121 times ]
98a 002.jpg
98a 002.jpg [ 115.28 KiB | Viewed 9109 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Neat! Hours of fun to be had with that!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:11 pm 
Major
Major

Nice ..How exactly does the duplication take place?

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:11 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:20 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

now get a stock pulicator and start turning out the hard-to-finds for a profit :D

that is a neat tool , havent seen one in years , i like those throwers your makeing where do you find the screw caps ? i think you mentioned in anouther post on these that they were like hens teeth to find , do you sell them to collectors/reinactors ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:27 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Japanese stick grenades are extremely rare. Few were brought back by veterans, because by 1941 the Japanese were already using the standard hand grenades. They used the stick grenades in China and Asia since the 1930s and many are found there in the battlefields, by enterprising Chinese. Unfortunately time hasn't been good for the wooden handles and that's where I come in!
Luckily for me, I have copies of original Japanese blueprints of the stick grenades.
The caps are available from winemaking supply stores, but I have to turn them on the lathe to reshape them and then age them.

I have one of my grenades on gunbroker if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:02 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...you're a step ahead of me.... :lol ....when I saw this I was going to say that I bet you could make a few extra yen by making these for collectors or reenactors... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 am 
Captain
Captain

ME LIKE!!!
That is way cool!
I , too , have a Lathe, though your standard 8" head, 40" bed metal lathe.
Got it free from the school, when they dumped the metal/wood Shop , music, home ec., art classes to concentrate on "No child left behind"( They left them ALL Behind) and it kept me happy for years.Thought I would make barrels with it once apon a time...~LOL!~
Now Its dissassembled for shipping, but she will "Rise" again, when I build it a proper shop............someday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:59 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Those are way cool! Now where does the powder go? :bigrin:

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:47 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

A friend has a collection of Grenade fuse assemblies he found at WW2 battle grounds in North Africa when he was kid.

If you're ever at an old battle field and see an intact grenade its not as safe as some might think to pick one up. Especially a particular Italian grenade that used a impact ignition much like a US Civil War grenade design.

these used a series of spikelike nipples on the inner canister that contacted percussion caps mounted to an exterior casing.
When armed the inner casing was allowed to move fairly freely with some spring tension. When thrown the impact with the ground would cause one or more of the primers to be driven against the spike setting off the charge.
If the grenade hit soft dirt or the primer on that side was a dud then later movement of the grenade could cause one of the unfired primers to make contact.

Both the Civil War Grenade, luckily extremely rare, and the later Italian grenade are said to have caused quite a few injuries or deaths to battlefield scavengers and construction crews excavating old battle sites.

Near as I remember both grenades are ball shaped, perhaps with little knobs or bumps on the surface.

PS
An old fellow I knew decided to get rid of a WW2 US type pineapple grenade he'd run across and threw it at a field where his business dumped old cargo containers.
He told me that the grenade exploded before it hit the ground and the fuse assembly flew back towards him narrowly missing his head and left a dent in the metal cargo container behind him that looked like a sledgehammer had hit it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:14 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

+1 on the old, decomposing ordnance! A lot of the Jap. fuses used picric acid, and it's hairy stuff! :-o Even more so as it's prone to become very unstable over the years. SW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:36 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:17 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Never being satisfied with the thread or the use of old wine caps for the screw cap, I started turning the threads (round bottom) similar to the originals. Of course then I had to find the correct cap...impossible! So I started spinning my caps on the lathe. They look good and as original as I can make them. I have a few grenades for sale if anyone is interested.
George

Attachments:
cap.jpg
cap.jpg [ 128.55 KiB | Viewed 8789 times ]