Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first ever project
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

One day last fall my brother showed up at my place with a surprise.
It was a .22 that belongs to my Dad which is a kind of "community" rifle. My Dad doesn't shoot or hunt, so the only use that it gets is from us.

It seems that my little brother neglected to take proper care of it.

It had a problem with being in a damp condition. He had it in storage and it got rusty....

...and moldy. So I cleaned it up as best as I could.

I tore it down and refinished the stock to the original finish.

The inside of the barrel, luckily, was unscathed. It just needed a good cleaning.

Unfortunately, there was one spot on the outside of the barrel that was pitted pretty good.

The stock turned out better than new.

I told my brother if he can't take care of his toys, than I will take them from him. He had no problem with keeping it at my place. He knows it will be taken care of, it will have lots of company and our Dad won't kill him. As far as our Dad is concerned it is out of sight/out of mind. He knows we will take care of them, so he doesn't worry about his guns. In my brother's defense, it wasn't a case of neglect/abuse, more of an act of god. The roof leaked in the closet where he kept it, so I can't fault him.

ImageImageImageCharlie...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cannot complain on that one - looks great , you did just fine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:21 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I surprised myself, actually. I didn't think it would turn out that good! Other than the pitted area, you would never know it was refinished to look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have one that needs that kind of attention i intend to get at soon , hope my results are as nice as yours ,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:57 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Well, I didn't really know for sure what I was getting into, but I DID know what NOT to do. That helped lots. I have spent the last 6 years belonging, reading and doing some posting on different boards. I have learned volumes by reading and asking questions. If someone asks a question I will answer to the best of my knowledge. I have never pretended to know more than I do. My philosophy is ' the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:48 am 
Major
Major

nice lookin rescue work there the gun looks great

Just don't let the pitted part get any more pitted That section will be more susceptible to moisture now

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:50 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

After I touched it up a little with some cold blue, I rubbed the area with an old candle and heated the wax as I rubbed it. It was a trick we used to use on runner sleds when I was a kid. We would work on them the first snow we got and they would stay clean and shiny till July, if you did it right.