Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Budapest Pioneer Carbine
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:01 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Or: Hare-brained scheme. The board is slow, so here's the whole sordid bit.

A year or 2 ago, I scored a U-Fixem M.95 from gunbroker for a $35 BIN. No bolt, but I had one of those rat-holed. Got it & not only was the bore pitted, but it miked .334! :-o

But! I bought a bucket o' M.95 actions for one money a couple years before that to get the rare M.95/24 and Budapest M.95M barreled actions. I figure I had like $6 in each action. Among those was an antique M.95 long rifle - still in 8x50R that had been crudely hacked off. I figure the barrel was bulged & someone wanted the front sight for something. But there was sufficient rifling left under all the crud.

Last year at a gun show in Cheyenne, I bought a gaggle o' parts - among them a K31 front sight for a fiver. I had all the stuff for the hare-brained scheme. Next was to find a machinist to turn the muzzle down for the K31 sight. A close friend from the RR was an expert machinist, but after he retired, I found out he had a massive stroke & was permanently laid up.

A cond who quit was an amateur machinist & I tried to get ahold of him. Seems after he quit the RR here, he hired on in Alliance as an electrician's helper. He was working in the **wiring behind the cab of the engine** where multiple signs say to discharge all capacitors before beginning any work....

You guessed it; he did not and was nearly shocked to death. He is legally blind now so that was out. An internet friend mentioned how he was working on barreled actions & I sprung my idea on him.

Amazingly, he went for it and got it done. Just got the barreled action back today! He had to pull the action from the barrel so the barrel could be jambed through the head stock of the lathe. Major pain, but he was able to get it off. Also had to remove the rear sight base. EXTREMELY difficult!

Seems it's not soft-soldered... silver soldered and meant to remain on the barrel permanently. But he was able to get it off in one piece.

Man, was I ever impressed!! :bigrin:

I just got the carbine put together & it can actually be shot, but I'll finish up a few small details first. Then I'll cast up some straight linotype boolets.

The ultra-rare Budapest Pioneer carbine is shown below with a standard carbine for comparison. The barrel is legal but was longer than the stacking hook so that came off - no room for a bayonet & I amputated that, too. I sure felt like Bubba running that hack saw! But I scarificed my worst front band - it was all pitted & I figure the Steyr collectors will never miss it.

Already did a trigger job - got a few rounds loaded up. Now to shoot it!

Thanks, Dave!!! :bigrin: SW

Pics: The top 2 show the barrel & K31 sight before the trip to the machinist. Then how it looked after machining and assembly. Then compared to a standard carbine. Life is good!! :bigrin:

Attachments:
pioneer8.jpg
pioneer8.jpg [ 31.58 KiB | Viewed 4586 times ]
pioneer9.jpg
pioneer9.jpg [ 35.09 KiB | Viewed 4586 times ]
Pioneer 001.jpg
Pioneer 001.jpg [ 80.02 KiB | Viewed 4586 times ]
Pioneer 002.jpg
Pioneer 002.jpg [ 80.91 KiB | Viewed 4586 times ]
Pioneer 003.jpg
Pioneer 003.jpg [ 12.29 KiB | Viewed 4586 times ]
Pioneer 004.jpg
Pioneer 004.jpg [ 25.88 KiB | Viewed 4586 times ]
Pioneer 005.jpg
Pioneer 005.jpg [ 22.12 KiB | Viewed 4586 times ]
Pioneer 006.jpg
Pioneer 006.jpg [ 25.56 KiB | Viewed 4586 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cool , i dont know much of what these are but that looks to be a fun project ,

i did a "project" or two over the years and i understand the dificulties , roy[riceone] might have been able to help , but i cant speek for him inthese areas , and it looks as tho tyou got very good results

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:48 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Yep Roy could have done it with ease. He put my 6.5/284 project together for me and I did get a deer with it last fall.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 pm 

Not actually a range report, but I test fired it for function this morning while the roads were still marginally solid. Snowing like crazy so I didn't take a target, but I pasted a rock @ about 75M 4X5. Shot across a canyon & made some other rocks dang nervous! :wink:

I was amazed to see it shot very close to the sights! Just cleaned it and finished the small details. Smoothed up my hacksaw tracks with an 11" mill bastage file - scored a metric tap & die set so I could cleanup some boogered threads - scrubbed heck out of the bore with steel wool - cast more boolets this afternoon & will get more 8x50R ammo loaded in the AM so I can shoot it some more.

The more I shoot it, the more I like it!! :bigrin: SW