[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Another Snider project

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Snider project
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:58 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I like my Gahendra so much, I scored a 577 Snider from IMA and am WAY happy with it!!! 8-) My greatest concern was unfounded - I was concerned the breech block would be incomplete - no firing pin, for example, but it's all there.

The stock is sound with no cracks or missing chunks - one big compression dent, but I figure that's small spuds. The breech block won't completely open - like there's a cleaning rod in there or something. Well, I ain't getting mean with it until it's soaked a couple days.

So off-a to Wally now for more spray paint remover & engine degreaser. Get the lock & breech block off & let them soak in gas a couple days.

First thing I got after I saw the box? Rubber gloves! :rotflma:

These are the "before" pics.

Happy in Nebr, :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:

SW

Attachments:
Snider 012.jpg
Snider 012.jpg [ 10.77 KiB | Viewed 11041 times ]
Snider 011.jpg
Snider 011.jpg [ 18.49 KiB | Viewed 11041 times ]
Snider 010.jpg
Snider 010.jpg [ 27.47 KiB | Viewed 11041 times ]
File comment: The breech block only opens this far.
Snider 009.jpg
Snider 009.jpg [ 80.45 KiB | Viewed 11041 times ]
File comment: Compression dent
Snider 008.jpg
Snider 008.jpg [ 80.35 KiB | Viewed 11041 times ]
File comment: Shot of the action at full cock
Snider 005.jpg
Snider 005.jpg [ 29.08 KiB | Viewed 11041 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:01 pm 

Believe it or not, yak fat turns BLACK on your hands and is the very devil to get off. I wound up using straight acetone.

Got the breech block open - backed the firing pin out - it was stuck forward from solidified junk, crud & "stuff". Now to soak the action parts for a couple days while I'm at work.

I LIKES it!!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

KEEEEWL !!!!

I thought about a snider myself :bigrin:

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:02 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

This one looks as if he was just told where he'd end up :wink:

Congrats on the new to you rifle! Lookin forward to the "after " pix...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 am 

Yuk! ... I mean yak! Kinda fugly. Cabelas sells yak burgers in their cafe but I've never been brave enough to try one. I'll stick to kow. SW

Attachments:
booger.jpg
booger.jpg [ 53.29 KiB | Viewed 11024 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:13 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Seeing that pic, I haven't had kow tongue for a boo koo bunch of years.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cool , be sure and post the after photos - i need one of these me thinks ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:18 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I did not too long ago :D YUM!!!

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:01 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Biftek brain comes highly under-rated- especially as good head cheese. Preferred it over pork head cheese myself. Like everything else, it's gotta be done right, though. With the recent BSE scares, and other spongiform related illnesses- not really a good idea these days. A definite risk...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:02 am 

Brains-n-eggs? Sounds like scrapple to me = NASTY!! :X And people think I'm nutz when I say I like fried bull 'nads.

I had the Snider lock & breechblock parts soaking while I was away playing trains - I'll get them spiffed up in the AM and try some spray paint remover on the stock. I looted more rubber gloves from 1st aid kits & am ready for all the corruption to come off the stock... and not onto me.

I got everything off but the brass buttplate - couldn't see boogering the screws so I'll just spray it with engine de-greaser.

More pics when I get it put back together. Should have brass, dies & a bullet mould this week. SW

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Brains-n-eggs? Sounds like scrapple to me = NASTY!! :X And people think I'm nutz

first - this sounds about as enjoyable as wood ticks in yer beard or leaches in yer nether regions ,

second - i never thought it , but i might have if youd been in favor of this dish :lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:14 pm 

Halfway there!! Being compulsive, I cleaned it just enough to shoot as described in the BPCR reloading forum.

So when I took it clear apart for cleaning, I hosed the stock down with Easy-off oven cleaner ( blue can) again and got the majority of the yak fat & grease off.

I'm going to leave well enough alone & steam the two bigger dents near the lock - wipe it down with min-wax a few times & hand rub with BLO until the pores of the wood fill.

And shoot it! 8-) It might be a bit, but I'll post pics of the finished rifle.

Forgot to mention I really wanted the buttplate off but the screw slots were pretty well obliterated. Like I couldn't get any screwdriver I have to turn a screw. So I used the biggest cut off wheel I have for my Dremel and carefully deepened the slots so I could use a substantial screw driver.

Twisted in just a bit - then twisted out... added a little liquid soap into the gap. Did the in & out bit until the screws backed completely out. Ta-daaaaaa! :Thnku:

I also scored a can of Brasso & will use a felt bob on the Dremel tool to polish the brass. Man, the military memories sure flooded back when I took a whiff of the Brasso! Boot camp all over again!

What a cool old rifle!!! :jmp: SW

Attachments:
zHalfwayThere 009.jpg
zHalfwayThere 009.jpg [ 14.13 KiB | Viewed 10987 times ]
zHalfwayThere 001.jpg
zHalfwayThere 001.jpg [ 110.54 KiB | Viewed 10987 times ]
zHalfwayThere 002.jpg
zHalfwayThere 002.jpg [ 112.09 KiB | Viewed 10987 times ]
zHalfwayThere 003.jpg
zHalfwayThere 003.jpg [ 114.53 KiB | Viewed 10987 times ]
zHalfwayThere 005.jpg
zHalfwayThere 005.jpg [ 119.77 KiB | Viewed 10987 times ]
zHalfwayThere 006.jpg
zHalfwayThere 006.jpg [ 100.75 KiB | Viewed 10987 times ]
zHalfwayThere 007.jpg
zHalfwayThere 007.jpg [ 24.03 KiB | Viewed 10987 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:26 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Amazing work. Amazing old guns. Glad someone can do it. riceone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

certainly amazing what a bit of elbow grease and cutting agents can do to improve the looks of one of these

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...to get a compliment like that from the infamous riceone is a true testament to your restoration work...attaboy.. :jmp: ;)