[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Snider 2 band carbine project

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:18 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I dived into my 2 band Snider carbine... and have removed actual OUNCES of solidified yak fat! But I have the metal 90% clean. I gave up because I ruined TWO pairs of rubber gloves. I will never whine around about cleaning an Albanian Carcano again... well, just not as much as I used to! :wink:

I took the barreled action out on the patio & soaked it in Easy-Off oven cleaner. I can't say enough good about that stuff! Left it for a couple hours & used up half a roll o' paper towels getting the dissolved junk & crud off.

Scrubbed the bore & it's a keeper! Bright & shiny! :bigrin:

This time I have a little wood work to do. Like mix epoxy & walnut sawdust to fill the few worm holes in the stock. There's a break ahead of the lock, but that looks like an easy fix. Reinforce the nosecap. Shouldn't be too hard... Fit a new buttplate which was included. I think that is also within my meager abilities.

Should be fun enough to keep me out of the taverns for the summer! :jmp:

Here are a few 'before' pics. SW

Attachments:
File comment: Nose cap is rivited in place - they are normally in with a screw. I think I'll splice in another piece of wood & epoxy the whole mess in place.
Snider2Band 009.jpg
Snider2Band 009.jpg [ 32.14 KiB | Viewed 11230 times ]
File comment: Another shot of the feelthy lock & breech block. All the metal parts are mostly clean now. I removed the firing pin 1st thing so I wouldn't accidentally shear the tip off.
Snider2Band 001.jpg
Snider2Band 001.jpg [ 106.4 KiB | Viewed 11230 times ]
File comment: Break ahead of the lock. Please pass the epoxy & clamps.
Snider2Band 002.jpg
Snider2Band 002.jpg [ 24.11 KiB | Viewed 11230 times ]
File comment: Not many worm holes - should be an easy fix.
Snider2Band 005.jpg
Snider2Band 005.jpg [ 106.32 KiB | Viewed 11230 times ]
File comment: The lock and breech block before cleaning - what a mess!
Snider2Band 008.jpg
Snider2Band 008.jpg [ 50.58 KiB | Viewed 11230 times ]

Post subject: Re: Yak fat for dessert!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Anxious to see the end result!

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

me too - looks like a keeper for sure - congrats :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:13 pm 

I'm a long way from done - been having all the fun I want trying to fit the butt plate. But here are some "cleaner" pics.

The breech block wouldn't lock up - got that cured by stoning down all the edges that had been banged up over the years.

Didn't want to eject... chucked the pivot pin up in my cheep drill press and dressed it down with an 8" mill bastage file. Moves back & forth just fine now.

Mucho stuff yet to be done - just about all stock work. Mix walnut dust & epoxy to fill the worm holes - fit & glue replacement wood - mostly fit the made in India brass butt plate. Oh. polish all the brass parts.

This is going to take a while. SW

Attachments:
File comment: Shot of the left side. Much cleaner than above!
Snider2Band 010.jpg
Snider2Band 010.jpg [ 32.01 KiB | Viewed 11217 times ]
File comment: I just set the lock in the stock for the pic to show it clean for the first time in well over a century.
Snider2Band 011.jpg
Snider2Band 011.jpg [ 34.92 KiB | Viewed 11217 times ]
File comment: The breech block re-assembled, greased and adjusted so it locks up.
Snider2Band 012.jpg
Snider2Band 012.jpg [ 120.61 KiB | Viewed 11217 times ]
File comment: The serial number - looks like 631 - in whatever language they speak in Nepal.
Snider2Band 013.jpg
Snider2Band 013.jpg [ 27.04 KiB | Viewed 11217 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

How's the bore?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:50 pm 

Mirror bright!!! :bigrin: As good as the day it was made. As rough as some of these are, I've never heard of a bad bore on one of the cartridge rifles.

On another site, a fellow re-did a smoothbore cap-n-ball musket from Nepal & got after the barrel with a small brake hone brazed to an old cleaning rod.

There's no question this will be a good shooter. Since I have the long rifle to play with, I'll take my time & try to make this one look spiffier. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:45 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....I am impressed and envious... :-o ....makes me want to try my luck with one-alas,it would make for competion for other toys I'd like to acquire.... :-? decisions....dilemma..... :roll: :rotflma:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:02 pm 

The rifle is the cheep part... I think I have more into reloading stuff than I have in my Snider long rifle! :-o :?

If any of you gents have a Martini or Snider & need cases sized or whatever - I'll do the deal for nuttin if you handle the postage. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

hours and hours of relaxing cleaning... then frustration... then relaxation... then relaxation, a little more frustration... and eventual satisfaction. Good work. I love seeing these old rifles rise up from fallow slumber and shine again.

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject: Wormhole repair 101
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:00 pm 

How to plug wormholes... or at least camoflage them. For some reason, I wound up with 5 minute epoxy - not good stuff for this application. Sets up too quickly.

So score some "slower" epoxy and walnut dust. I took a piece of walnut to the belt sander - doesn't take long to get enough. Some Q-tips for mixing - cut one end off.

Open the worm holes so they can be completely filled - Exacto knife works well for that. Mask them off. I like clear tape best, but masking tape cuts & removes easier.

Mix glue & sawdust - stir... and in the case of quick epoxy, fill the holes promptly before the glue sets up. I was only able to get 3 holes filled here. 'Slower' epoxy coming up this afternoon!!

This stock really wasn't that bad - I just don't want any wormholes showing when I have it finished. SW

Attachments:
File comment: Open up wormholes with something like an Exacto knife. It doesn't take much, and the worms are long gone. You want to fill all the voids completely.
wormholes 002.jpg
wormholes 002.jpg [ 123.34 KiB | Viewed 11199 times ]
File comment: Mask off holes to keep glue contained.
wormholes 004.jpg
wormholes 004.jpg [ 93.2 KiB | Viewed 11199 times ]
File comment: Q-tips, glue & walnut dust.
wormholes 005.jpg
wormholes 005.jpg [ 109.43 KiB | Viewed 11199 times ]
File comment: Add a little at a time.
wormholes 006.jpg
wormholes 006.jpg [ 72.85 KiB | Viewed 11199 times ]
File comment: Mix glue & sander dust until it looks like you want it.
wormholes 007.jpg
wormholes 007.jpg [ 112.39 KiB | Viewed 11199 times ]
File comment: Tape keeps glue from spreading.
wormholes 008.jpg
wormholes 008.jpg [ 117.89 KiB | Viewed 11199 times ]
File comment: Hole filled with epoxy & sander dust. Trim & sand when dry in a few hours.
wormholes 010.jpg
wormholes 010.jpg [ 99.85 KiB | Viewed 11199 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i like that - do post an after

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:35 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

..this should end up bein' a "Sticky" post... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:38 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

You really think it will be safe to shoot?
I'd ask somebody else you don't particularly care for to try it out first....
But it looks like it will be a reaaly nice piece when you're finished with it.
Best Regards, A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:15 am 

Andrey,

This one has been fired before - no question on that one. I ran a few 480 grain mastadon whackers through my rifle, and it did all right so this one should be all right for a milder load.

I've got a round ball mold coming and will try a mild charge of actual black powder for starters.

It will be a while before I shoot this one, though. Much work yet to be done. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im thinking mild loads should be a great idea - we want more photos as you go

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:52 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...like I said......"sticky post".... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:27 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Impressive progress with the lock work! You've got more salsa than me when it comes to worm wood :bigrin: Keep the pics coming...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Yak fat for dessert!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:16 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

I'm sure it will look great. I like the subtle decorations on the lock and the checkering.
Please be careful not to blow it up, that would be a shame. :-(
Brgds, A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:00 am 

Andrey,

No worries that way. I have enough time & money invested that I will not blow it up just because I know how.

The way work is going, it might be next year before I actually get it done in any case.

And. Some dummy who looks a lot like me just ordered a yak fat Martini. :crzy: It might be time for an intervention. :? SW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

There is only one cure for your disease.....MORE!!!!! :Dbounce: :jmp: :Dbounce: