[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Snider 2 band carbine project

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Yak fat for dessert!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:58 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

So yak fat IS addictive !
How do you use it? I suppose swallowing or snorting would be the way to go. Unless you like greasy cigarettes or inject it dilluted ....
:crzy: :hah:
No seriously, I like those old guns too. Used to spend days on end restoring WWI mausers and such back when I was still single. Now sadly time is lacking...
Keep up the good work !
Brgds, A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:33 am 
Major
Major

and how much r these yak fat gems runnin..... I have wanted a martini in original caliber for a while.

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:45 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

IMA had a weekend sale of Francotte Martinis @ $125 busks each vs 189 regular price. I know some die-hards who bought multiple. I'm not that bad. Yet. Actually, I bought another rare Carcano & was out of $.

For a price list, see www.ima-usa.com Use the untouched rifles prompt. People tell me the untouched and unmarked Brit Martinis are quite a deal. Haven't got one of those yet.

I scored some "slow" epoxy & will try to get more worm holes filled. It's supposed to be hot today & that will be a good project. I also need to repair that crack and work on fitting the butt plate.SW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:02 am 
Major
Major

i shouldn't have clicked that link. now where am i gonna scrape up 185 bux.

GG

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:16 pm 

There's a fellow on www.surplusrifle.com advertising a Francotte Martini for just what he has in it = 125 + freight. Mine will be here Tues! :bigrin:

I'll post a couple pics of the Snider carbine when I get home. I found some 'slow' 2-part epoxy. Filled all the wormholes & chased the checkering. Also did the 1st coat of BLO to my Snider rifle. Only 9 to go! 8-) SW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:48 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:59 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:35 am 
Major
Major

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:37 pm 

Had time to monkey around with the Snider this afternoon. Filled the rest of the worm holes - chased the checkering and glued the broken piece ahead of the lock.

When the glue for the broken piece dries, I'll drill from the inside and tap in a toothpick or turned down match stick as "rebar" for the break. I plan on shooting this & don't want it breaking again. SW

Attachments:
File comment: Last of the wormholes.
zFrancotte 004.jpg
zFrancotte 004.jpg [ 32.71 KiB | Viewed 9814 times ]
File comment: Chased all the checkering. I have never checkered anything before - just followed the lines. Didn't go ape - my goal was just to get all the crud out & make it look nicer.
zFrancotte 005.jpg
zFrancotte 005.jpg [ 117.89 KiB | Viewed 9814 times ]
File comment: Applied epoxy and lightly clamped in place. Used an olf wire brush to apply even pressure.
zFrancotte 003.jpg
zFrancotte 003.jpg [ 95.75 KiB | Viewed 9814 times ]
zFrancotte 002.jpg
zFrancotte 002.jpg [ 32.24 KiB | Viewed 9814 times ]
File comment: Cleaned the break with acetone.
zFrancotte 001.jpg
zFrancotte 001.jpg [ 26.53 KiB | Viewed 9814 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:03 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

You're much braver than me when it comes to wood. The unusable, un-glue-able, Fr-8 stock I had looked mint compared to yours.

Absolute worst stock I dealt with was a Win 1906 gum wood pump handle. That one actually crumbled to the touch...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 am 

Doc,

I figure it's this or carve a new one from an old RR tie. I'm not much good at carving! ;) SW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:05 pm 

Torrential rain washed out double track so I had time to mess around with the Sniders again.

There was a chunk of wood missing at the brass nose cap. This cap is riveted in place so I'm not removing it. I carefully chiseled off a thin strip of walnut from a piece airdale gave me. Trimmed it as close as I could - shaved the part farthest from the nose cap for a better fit - slapped on the epoxy - and held in place with hemostats.

I'll fire up the sanding bob on the Dremel when the glue is dry & give it the final form fit.

Filled all the worm holes & after the glue dries, I'll carefully sand everything down.

I also slapped more BLO on the Snider long rifle. Only 7 more coats to go!! 8-)

Attachments:
File comment: Lonng rifle with fresh BLO. Looking better!
zStockRepair 005.jpg
zStockRepair 005.jpg [ 30.14 KiB | Viewed 9806 times ]
File comment: Chunk of wood missing by the brass nosecap. I do not want to damage stuff by trying to remove & competently replace the cap. I'll just glue in a filler piece.
zStockRepair 001.jpg
zStockRepair 001.jpg [ 111.99 KiB | Viewed 9806 times ]
File comment: Slapped on lots o' epoxy & carefully added the filler piece of walnut.
zStockRepair 002.jpg
zStockRepair 002.jpg [ 112.85 KiB | Viewed 9806 times ]
File comment: All the patch is firmly in place with 2 hemostats. I'll sand it down for a final fit after it dries.
zStockRepair 004.jpg
zStockRepair 004.jpg [ 116.97 KiB | Viewed 9806 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this is cool keep posting please :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:27 am 

While grub for my work cooler was simmering away, I put a sander bob in the Dremel and smoothed out the glued-in pieces so the barreled action drops right into the stock.

Sanded on the stock a little more. When I'm home next, I'll post a pic of how the new brass butt plate doesn't fit so you can see what fitting was needed. I think I can do the deal with a half-round mill bastage file. It's fairly close as it is, but I want a good fit.

The stock just needs sanded and BLO after the butt plate is fitted.

Still can't get the stock bolt out of the Francotte Martini. I bought a hyper stout screwdriver & will shangai my main man LarryBob into helping me.

No pics this time - I meant to, but I got this obscene phone call: "Union Pacific calling for NebrHogger. You are called on duty for train ID..." the call went downhill from there.

Just got to Bill, Wyo & time for a nap! SW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:56 am 
Major
Major

lookin good hogger.!!

I'm not to worried about wood on mine used to work in a furniture shop so i know how to rejuvinate wood.

I warned you all them 1 900 numbers would come bact to haunt you :rotflma:

Something to try with the stock bolt Iffn you can. get some penetrating oil into the threads.
take yer mongo screwdriver get it set in the screw then give er a couple sharp raps with a hammer this sets up a vibration in the metal (like whacking a tuning fork) and may loosen up the accumulated rust, crud, yak fat, glue thats holding it in place.
Have used this trick countless times as weird as it sounds it does work most of the time. worth a shot anyway.

GG

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:15 pm 

Since I had the camera out taking pics for a thread on the Italian forum, I took a quick pic of the Snider butt plate. A 'before' pic. If work ever slows down, I hope to get it fully fitted. SW

Attachments:
zIsreal 001.jpg
zIsreal 001.jpg [ 23.95 KiB | Viewed 9782 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:59 am 

Got-r-done, but what a PITA!!! Cut-n-try with an exponent! Used a half round mill bastage file & a sander bob in my Dremel.

Not having a third hand or prehensile tail, I can't show that it fits snugly. But it does. Now to drill out the old butt plate screw holes and epoxy in dowel plugs. That will be easy as pie compared to the hand fit. Drill new screw holes and it's done! Finally!!

Well, except for BLO. Seems like there's always something. Or maybe I'm just suffering from terminal OCD. ( don't say it, Mario! :P ) SW

Attachments:
zStock2 003.jpg
zStock2 003.jpg [ 18.05 KiB | Viewed 9775 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

Attachments:
klinkunt schultz.jpg
klinkunt schultz.jpg [ 39.93 KiB | Viewed 9769 times ]