[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 1841 Brunswick project - from the box...

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:58 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I thought I had yak fat madness out of my system... not to be. IMA had Pattern 1841 Brit muskets on sale... for a really decent price... so I grabbed one.

And got dang lucky! This one has the original brass buttplate and everything else but the rear sight. Since it's a 69 cal smooth bore, I doubt a rear sight will help things much anyway.

Given that the bayonet is of a sword pattern, I figure these were meant for close combat anyway - like attacking the bad guys who were formed up in a square.

Now there is the stuff of nightmares - right out in the open - NO cover at all, and since everyone is using large caliber round balls, even wounds in a non-vital place are going to be severe.

More nightmares... the surgeon's main instruments were saws. :-o :-o :-o :kap:

But this will be a fun winter project. Please pass the blue can easy off & rubber gloves! :bigrin: SW

Attachments:
File comment: Overall shot of musket, patch box cover & bayonet
zBrunswick 001.jpg
zBrunswick 001.jpg [ 20.96 KiB | Viewed 11390 times ]
File comment: detail shot of repro patch box cover which will take some fitting
zBrunswick 002.jpg
zBrunswick 002.jpg [ 30.26 KiB | Viewed 11390 times ]
File comment: Sword bayonet
zBrunswick 004.jpg
zBrunswick 004.jpg [ 30.96 KiB | Viewed 11390 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:07 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....."Honey......Sweetie.....there's someone knockin' at the front door...................snookems........will you please get the door????.......HEY AS*****....get the....uh.......uhmmm....honey.....you better go see who's there...theres like....uh.....a few folks out there.....and uhm.....they got white coats on???.......uhmm....uh.....did you pay the last doctor bill???...or.. are they...???......."................................................................................... :rotflma:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:16 pm 

That sword bayo in one hand and my Hungarian AK in the other should keep the riff-raff & 'special interest religious groups' off'n the front step! :P :crzy: :rotflma: SW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:43 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...I'd love to see pic of 'mini sword' out of scabbard when you get a chance..... :Dbounce: ...you gonna hunt for a rear site? or leave as is....hard to find??? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:53 pm 

No scabbard, Comrade Artist - it's so philthy from yak fat, it just looks like a scabbard. Blade is roughly 24" and sturdy enough to do the deal. The blade seems solid as heck!

I took one pic of it partially on the bayo lug - didn't try to jamb it clear on. Shown with a Carcano bayonet for size perspective.

As for a rear sight, I'm not going to look very hard. I think this was a 50 meter musket. Fire your one shot & then close combat. I see there's a place that makes repros. I might get one later on. SW

Attachments:
File comment: Shown with a Carcano bayonet for size perspective.
zBrunswick 009.jpg
zBrunswick 009.jpg [ 29.36 KiB | Viewed 11378 times ]
File comment: Partially on the side mount. A very solid system.
zBrunswick 008.jpg
zBrunswick 008.jpg [ 19.29 KiB | Viewed 11378 times ]
File comment: A comfortable fit.
zBrunswick 006.jpg
zBrunswick 006.jpg [ 78.59 KiB | Viewed 11378 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

pretty cool , want to see in process and finished photos :-o :-o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:54 pm 

Winter's coming, A Sq! You better grab one for something to pass the long winter nights! Can't spend ALL yer time in the ice fishing house!! :rotflma: :rotflma: SW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:00 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

... :-o :-o :-o ....MAN... :-o ...that Yak must've really dumped a load on there :-o ....that looked like a scabbard on this monitor... :rotflma:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

while id love to do so - i wont have adequate free time to even give my collection the attention it deserves - nay , demands at this point in time , but i do love seeing all you do - it is inspiring and yet i dont see my life letting it happen any time soon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:16 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

You take my life but I'll take your's too
You fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when they ready for the next attack
You better stand, there's no turning back
IRON MAIDEN "The trooper"
:crzy: A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Have you got that on 45? :lol

Great vid featuring footage from "Charge of the light brigade" (which the song was about)

The bugle sounds as the charge begins
But on this battlefield no one wins
The smell of acrid smoke and horses breath
As you plunge into a certain death

The horse he sweats with fear we break to run
The mighty roar of the Russian guns
And as we race towards the human wall
The screams of pain as my comrades fall

We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground
And as the Russians fire another round
We get so near yet so far away
We won't live to fight another day

We get so close near enough to fight
When a Russian gets me in his sights
He pulls the trigger and I feel the blow
A burst of rounds takes my horse below

And as I lay there gazing at the sky
My body's numb and my throat is dry
And as I lay forgotten and alone
Without a tear I draw my parting groan

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:50 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

I've only got it on CD, studio version and a live version. Still one of their best songs.
I saw them live some years back, incredible show !
Best regards, A