[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - A cautionary post about cleaning chemicals

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:02 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Spray paint remover I got at menards DISSOLVES nitrile gloves! :-o And doesn't feel real good on bare hide. Not sure how it reacts with latex gloves.

Started in earnest on my P1841 Brit musket. Hosed the lock down with oven cleaner - took it CLEAR apart - removed all the solidified yak fat & it is a whole new lock now! 8-) Works like a champ!

Hosed the butt part of the stock down with paint remover & took the top layer of crud off. Now to fit the repro brass patch box cover - and epoxy the butt back onto the fore arm. They were all together but barely by a splinter when I took the trigger guard & lock off so I separated them. Made it a lot easier to work on getting the brass buttplate off.

Just hosed the buttplate, brass thimbles & brass trigger guard down with paint remover. Now to get the dissolved yak fat (& dissolved gloves) off & toss in the case tumbler all day tomorrow.

The first small bites of "eating the elephant". Please pass the horseradish!! :bigrin: SW

Post subject: Re: A cautionary post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats cool , i love hearing of your projects ........but ................ :ttiwwp:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am 

I didn't because there simply isn'y that much to see right now. Crusty parts in the 1st stage of cleaning is about it.

I get the patch box cover fitted & the stock glued back to gether, I'll post a couple pics. It will take most of the AM to fit the cover - then drill and fill the old butt plate screw holes so I can slightly relocate them.

The top of the butt plate wasn't flush which was caused by an untrimmed tab. So I filed that down & the top is flush with the stock now - but the screw holes don't quite line up.

Which may not give you a mental image so I will post a few pics this evening. SW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:19 pm 
Major
Major

If it dissloves nitrile gloves then latex will explode off your hands before you even spray it. Usually nitrile is much more solvent resistant than latex, but you know that.???????

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 pm 

Having a better bend in my learning curve, I used more of it but washed it off with a garden hose before I used a wad of paper towels to wipe the rest away.

Nasty stuff but it works great on yak fat. Having the top layer off, I'll use plain dish soap on the rest. Gloves not required.

Got the patch box fitted flush & the stock glued in 2 places. Took a few pics & will post later. Got a day off for a change & other gun stuff to get done. SW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:46 pm 

As mentioned, there's not much to see, but here's the inletted patchbox cover and the cleaned locks.

Besides that, I hosed the barrel down with oven cleaner & got it cleaned & oiled up. I need to scrub the bore but that comes later.

If any of you folks weaken & get one, it's very important to apply oil soonest after cleaning the yak fat off. The bare metal wants to start oxidizing almost immediately. Must not be any chromium in the steel alloy.

This early, they probably just threw some charcoal dust in molten iron & called it steel. SW

Attachments:
zzInlet 002.jpg
zzInlet 002.jpg [ 104.93 KiB | Viewed 10751 times ]
zzInlet 001.jpg
zzInlet 001.jpg [ 103.58 KiB | Viewed 10751 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice - thank you :jmp:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:10 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

There are different grades of nitrile gloves. Worked with acids and chemicals on last job.

Usually steel is made by burning the carbon out of the iron, least ways that is the way they did it in the steel mill I worked in.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:08 am 

The stakes have been raised a bit. When I removed the barrel and front sling bar from the stock, it was so shattered near the end, it actually fell apart. Badly. Splinters all over the place.

But I think most of the splinters are there and for the ones that are missing, I have a fore arm from a P1837 musket parts gun I can splice into the gaps.

Shown are 2 'before' pics. Looks pretty grim but as mentioned above, eat the elephant with small bites. ( we are assuming the pachyderm is smoked or otherwise preserved and will not spoil before it's consumed)

So I just glued one peice onto the stock tonight - more one at a time. Then a sneeky trick. While looking for stuff to send Mr Wacko, I happened upon some old model RR stuff a fellow left me in his will. ( sold most of it already) Still in unopened bags was sheet styrene in various thickness. I hope to trim some .010" to fit the barrel channel & use it for reinforcement and also something for the repair splinters to be placed against for gluing.

Only a theory but I feel it's worth a shot. I scored a tiny flat faced mill bit for my Dremel and used that for inletting the repro buttplate - same will be done for all the splicing & inletting.

I also polished some brass parts but no pic of that until they are all done. When the splicing & gluing is done, there's a brass nose cap on the P1837 stock that I'll use on the P1841. Looks like it's a "drop in" change over.

This won't happen overnight, but I actually see light at the end of the tunnel.

Never say die!! :bigrin: SW

Attachments:
zzGlue 002.jpg
zzGlue 002.jpg [ 32.36 KiB | Viewed 10733 times ]
zzGlue 001.jpg
zzGlue 001.jpg [ 34.03 KiB | Viewed 10733 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:40 am 
Opinionated Old Fart

...I admire your tenacity in rebuilding the veteran firearms so lovingly...I'm not blessed with the patience it takes, but I enjoy seeing the results...

...on a chemical note...Ben Gay is NOT recommended for jock itch...just sayin'.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

what he said ...... :lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:56 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 am 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...apparently Sheepdog aint been 'fixed'... :rotflma: ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you might if you dont wash your hands .... gloves disolved :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

ummh, that looks very familiar.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

where is this one at ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:35 pm 

SwihartMark wound up with it. Oddly, he still speaks to me. I had other stuff going & sold him on the idea of an "epoxy stock with particles of original wood". :crzy: :rotflma: :rotflma: :rotflma: :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:52 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cool , time for mark to pick up the thread with progress photos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:38 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Ummh, traded it away to somebody with more wood working skills than me. The barrel was later flux tested for cracks and sure enough, it had one. The new owner will double shot her and prove her safe the very old school way.

Oh, new owner said stock beyond his skills as well. He is looking for a custom stock for the metal pieces. Might see him on New Year's at the range.

I did manage some Martini-Henry shell casings and bullets out of it. I bought the Martini-Henry from his brother. That would be my first black powder firearm as well.

I tried, I gave up…real fast.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:35 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant