[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Hambone's Marliln 27/27S project

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:38 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Pat,

Here are the pics you sent. For some reason, the first pic won't upload. SW

Attachments:
zzMarlin27two.JPG
zzMarlin27two.JPG [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 10476 times ]
zzMarlin27three.jpg
zzMarlin27three.jpg [ 5.35 KiB | Viewed 10476 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You need tyo shrink them a bit (and enlarge the 3rd)

Why the hanging from wires? Looks like my garage when I'm rust bluing

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Having trouble loading pictures. Guess this thing is smarter than I am. How do you shrink or enlarge pictures? I tried adding addition pictures, but it rejects every time.

You got it right on the bluing. We are bluing a Marlin 27. The first picture shows the new magazine tubes we had made along with other parts prior to bluing.

Pat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Rust Blue? or Hot Blue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:01 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Rust Blue, I'm using "Blue Wonder". It is the easiest and gives really good results for about 20 bucks.

Tried resizing a couple of pictures of the blued parts and think I was able to add it. This picture shows the parts after bluing.

Pat

Attachments:
Marlin 27 Barrel Blued.jpg
Marlin 27 Barrel Blued.jpg [ 107.46 KiB | Viewed 10454 times ]
Marlin 27 Blued.jpg
Marlin 27 Blued.jpg [ 94.94 KiB | Viewed 10455 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cant tell for sure but i think i 'see' them as turning out very nice ,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:42 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

Looks like a fun project. :D

Image Image [img]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Seller ... ser=956475

http://stores.ebay.com/workenladyo8?_rdc=1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Hey that looks kind of familiar :lol

Attachments:
File comment: During
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 172.32 KiB | Viewed 10440 times ]
File comment: After
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 157.97 KiB | Viewed 10440 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:35 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Bruce
You just need a lathe and a mill in your garage and you will be all set.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

It has been a good project so far. Stated out with only a handful of parts and had a hard time finding all the parts, but we are getting there. Think they will turn out pretty good. There is pitting on one of the guns that we could not work out, but the gun is pushing a hundred years old so we will live with it.

Pat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:21 pm 

One think I attempted when I was messing around with these was to make a 25-20 from a 25RF.

Which won't work with out some machining. There's a boss in the receiver of a RF to help guide the cartridges into the chamber. A CF bolt is not relieved for the boss which seems to be an integral part of the casting.

I tried removing it with a Dremel but only broke 3 grinding tips. I was too cheep to pursue the idea further. You see a lot of 25RFs with sewer pipes for bores. Might have something to do with ground glass in the priming compound.

I've got a very nice 25RF in my collection with a shot bore. Which will stay the way it is.

Oh. 25RF and 25-20 used the same bore diameter.

There's potential for the project but it would be a gaggle of work. SW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Steve

Could a .25 RF barrel be rechambered to .25-20 and used on a CF receiver? I know the overall length of the .25-20 case is 1.330", but don't know the length of .25 RF. I have 95% of the parts for a third Marlin 27, but don't have a barrel. If I could rechamber a .25 RF to .25-20 that would give me on more option.

Pat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Bruce

What bluing process did you use?

Pat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:41 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Thanks for checking on the length of the .25 RF. My book didn't show it's length.

Pat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:42 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Attachments:
1907.jpg
1907.jpg [ 200.06 KiB | Viewed 10418 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

beautiful , nice work ET

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Yes, beautiful work! Hope mine turns out that well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Thanks, it's just a matter of having the time to futz with it. The more applications the darker (and more durable) the finish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:02 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Here are pictures of the completed Marlin 27's. The M-27 is in .25-20 and the M-27S is in .32-20. Haven't shot them yet, but will pretty soon. Thanks for the parts Steve.

Pat

Attachments:
Marlin M-27 & M-27S.jpg
Marlin M-27 & M-27S.jpg [ 470.53 KiB | Viewed 10371 times ]
Marlin M-27 and M-27S.jpg
Marlin M-27 and M-27S.jpg [ 398.89 KiB | Viewed 10371 times ]