[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Crosman 362 test

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosman 362 test
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:17 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Got it today and am WAY happy with it! Shot for group at 25' - 5 pumps from an 8 pump rifle. Had trouble adjusting the rear sight. It needs stadia badly. Next opportunity was getting the right part of my trifocals lined up for a decent sight picture.

Because of that I'm saying the steel receiver and scope are well worth the money!

First target. It's actually 3 shots. Can't believe that? Neither could I! Messed around trying to adjust the peep and shot 2 more groups also tighter than I thought possible right from the box.

Just to maintain credibility I fired 3 more at a different target. Not as tight, but it's shooting to the sights now.
#1 - 3 shots 25' wasn't concerned about point of impact; I was going for group.
Target1.JPG
Target1.JPG [ 204.44 KiB | Viewed 11095 times ]

Next pic shows 3 groups. Hard to believe!
Target2.JPG
Target2.JPG [ 283.32 KiB | Viewed 11095 times ]

Last group looks a little more realistic. Had trouble focusing on the front sight, but it shot right where I was aiming.
Target3.JPG
Target3.JPG [ 490.57 KiB | Viewed 11095 times ]

Can't wait to get the steel receiver and put a scope on it! I highly recommend this model. SW

Post subject: Re: Crosman 362 test
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:46 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Great news!

Those XX bbls can shoot.

Time do dig for a little info :bigrin: ;)

I'm assuming a 24" bbl.

What pellets are you using?

And last of all.... Pics of gun please!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:14 am 

I found a tin of 17.1 grain pointed pellets locally. Monday, there will be a tin of the 14.3 grain domed variety.

Thinking on the matter, I'm sure skirted pellets help a lot with accuracy.

Pics of the gun later on today. SW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:54 pm 

Here we go! I need to study the online manual for my G9 - I'm having trouble with close up focus.

Shown with an SKS for size perspective.
Cros2.JPG
Cros2.JPG [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 11079 times ]

I tried 5x to get a shot of the rear sight but no luck. I still say there needs to be reference lines to help sighting in. But I've got the steel receiver coming tomorrow and a scope ready to drop on it.
Cros3.JPG
Cros3.JPG [ 905.46 KiB | Viewed 11079 times ]

Initially, I thought a PCP air gun would be beyond my means but going deeper down the wabbit hole, I see Pyramid offers the Diana Stormrider for about $200. They also have the same gun offered with an air pump for like $330. Hmmm...

Nah! I'll hold off on that a while.

Back to try for better pics. SW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:12 pm 

Back! Root cause of focus issues? Somebody who looks a lot like me not paying attention to small details. Go figure. SW

Much better shot of the rear sight showing changes to POI are iffy at best due to no reference marks.
Cros4.JPG
Cros4.JPG [ 145.67 KiB | Viewed 11079 times ]

Side view of the receiver.
Cros5.JPG
Cros5.JPG [ 329.5 KiB | Viewed 11079 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

shoots very well it seems ,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:08 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There should be a small scale for windage on the front of the sight block, and a single index line on top of the plastic breech~ unless crosman has changed their mfg process...

Is that rear sight block steel, or plastic?

Gun appears to be a modified 22-60 tube with the air intake and pivot pin holes milled into it.
Front band is a major improvement over the skinny stuff done previously.
I'm guessing that the small band screw with it's nut passes through a roll-pin for a pivot pin.
It's been done before on the 2100 and 2200 series pumpers.
You may want to loosen it off a little for barrel removal.
It would be a good idea to run a patch over a button jag 3 or 4 times, just to get the sticky goo out of the bore. The micro-groove type rifling on these barrels is easy to clean.
Just something to think of while you have the bbl out for the breech change...

You should be able to do a trigger improvement.
The series 60 triggers have an adjuster screw through the rear.
The tube will have to be taken out of the stock to access it.
All of the 60 series triggers I've worked on require a lighter spring, and a sear polish to get them down to manageable enough for off-hand- which is the general idea of these guns.
The side plate is removable by the looks of it.
The factory spring can only be backed off so far, other wise the sear will fail to engage.
In real life practice, a slightly longer, lighter coiled trigger spring does the trick.

Let me know if you want a step by step on the trigger. I have a 78 here with a different guard, but similar internals.

The last question concerns the piston.
The competition went with a nice brass flat top piston.
I would not be surprised if Crosman tried to compete at this level.
Could you do a pic of the inside of the tube, with the pump arm extended?
You don't have to dismantle anything- just open the pump arm all the way, and photograph what you can see.
There's an equal chance they went with the old stand-by cup piston- which can be remedied...

How hard is it to pump up to 8 pumps? ;)

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:24 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:34 am 

Not that much resistance when going for 8 pumps. I did discover I needed to avoid pinching fingers when pumping, though.

Plastic sight base, and I don't see windage marks. Probably omitted to save time & money.

Picks of the piston when I have it apart for installing the steel breech this afternoon. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:11 pm 

Pics on hold - I didn't realize today is a holiday = no mail. SW

ETA - Now the site's showing "delivery date pending". So no telling how long.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:10 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I still don't even have a tracking note for the order I placed last week.
Vendor I'm dealing with is usually pretty good too.
I'll give it a couple more days before I start making enquiries.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have an early teens [last century] webley scott mkI hand air gun that i picked up quite a while back , i tried it out recently , still pumps up and propels just fine , also i have an old crossman rifle that dates to the early 80s that was my dads you can pump multiple times to increase pressure - it works fine too , not sure if my DPMS full auto BB gun still holds a seal on the CO2 cartridge but i know it leaks over time ,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:41 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Found an on-line tutorial for your breech conversion.
Some fairly clear photo's in here and some points I have not seen before.
Probably a worth-while read.

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/lets-f ... osman-362/

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:02 pm 

Doc,

Thanks very much! :bigrin:

Got a notification the breech and stuff will be delivered Friday now. Shipping was only $10, so I guess I have to put up with it.

I'm still giving that Diana Stormrider the fish eye. Not saying I'll buy it, but the concept is intriguing. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:16 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Tubes on the Artemis/Diana/Snowpeak Stormrider PCP are rated for 200 bar.

I have the earlier variant, and used it at the max pressure for about a year. A seal kit would probably revive it. I should probably back off to 180 bar after I rebuild it.
I still have to do some research and find out if I can get the new variant's valve into my rifle.
Doing so would probably increase it's longetivity.

If you go this route, get it with the Huma regulator installed.
It will flatten the shot strings considerably.
You should be prepared for a work-out pumping it up.
To get to 200 bar with my hand pump I need to take a couple of breaks from pumping.
Topping up from 100-120 bar is a lot easier than filling the gun from empty.

Edit:

200 Bar = just under 3k PSI

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01 pm 

My steel breech and stuff order still isn't here. Friday it showed in Denver so I figured I'd be installing it this morning. Not to be. "Delivery date pending".

I was getting ready and took a couple pics. Doc, earlier you requested a pic of the piston head. My photographic assistant was on the phone to her sister, and I doubt she'll be off the phone anytime soon so this might not show what you'd hoped to see.
Cros7.JPG
Cros7.JPG [ 41.9 KiB | Viewed 10976 times ]

I think you mentioned there was a windage mark on the rear sight... don't see stadia at all. It's like they know you will get a steel breech and mount a scope very soon after getting the gun.
Cros8.JPG
Cros8.JPG [ 48.19 KiB | Viewed 10976 times ]

Tomorrow? Possibly. I'm not holding my breath. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:09 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sorry for getting to this so late- family matters have prevented my usual schedule.

That is a cup piston in there, and it's looking a bit on the dry side.
A drop of light oil on the rubber part, and on the linkage arm pivot points will keep the gun happy for the time being.

It does not have to be "Crosman Pel-gun Oil".
Any light non-additive, non detergent oil will do.
Personally, I've been using the same pint of "air tool oil" bought from Wally about 10 years ago.
It's so old now the spout has split.
I'm not sure about Hoppes #9 oil, and how it's preservatives will react with rubber and delrin.
I do use it on the outside of my barrels though- just for added rust protection.

Shoot it for a while.
Next mod to consider is a flat top piston.
It would be worth it to read up and around on it.
A reasonable stop would be the Gateway To Airguns website.

I like the flat top piston- it reduces the number of pump strokes, and increases efficiency a bit over the cup piston.
The simple O-ring arrangement is easier to service and replace.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:36 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There's a flat top piston there at bottom, with the cup piston from a Crosman 2200 rifle at top.

This is the competition's flat top piston, complete with felt oil wiper.

Comparison photo of a cup piston valve from a 760 with a flat top modified 13-XX valve.

It get's a bit labor intensive.
With a reasonable drill press, I can do a complete job in about 4 hours.
Threaded sections of the flat top pistons are 3/16" X 24 threaded rod. 1/4" X 20 can be used as well. I prefer the finer threading of the smaller threaded rods- it makes adjustments a little easier to make.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:01 pm 

Ta-daaaa! Got-r-done! Went slow so I wouldn't monkey anything up and it worked.
The airgun site tutorial was of immense help - thanks again for that! :bigrin: .

Shown here with a basic Weaver K3-F scope. (duplex X-hairs)

When kids start in with fire poppers this evening, I'll set up a target for sight in and group. SW
Cros8.JPG
Cros8.JPG [ 46.08 KiB | Viewed 10908 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice , you guys are outa my league in this realm but id sure enjoy one if i ever got the right moment in time , maybe ill have to look at the ones the owner of the gun club has up for sale , they have real target sights on them so i suspect you two might approve , they have a large loop pump handle but ive not checked them up close , he has them hung with a kimber 82G thats stock ,