[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Going further down the air gun wabbit hole

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:50 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I couldn't stand it and ordered a Crosman 1322 pumper. Looked around and also grabbed a dedicated shoulder stock for it. Both arrived today. The steel breech will be here tomorrow at which time I'll quickly have a scope on it.

Surfed gunborker for the best price on both and got the combo for a little less than Crosman advertises.

This should be handy come turkey season! Not that I'd whack a turk from the truck. :crzy: ;) SW
IMG_0365 (2).JPG
IMG_0365 (2).JPG [ 46.25 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]

IMG_0366 (2).JPG
IMG_0366 (2).JPG [ 40.42 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:53 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Let us know how you make out with this.

Those stocks do not stay tight for long.
If you are handy with a drill and tap, this can be remedied with an 8 or 10 X 32 screw from the bottom of the plate.
I can get pix up later. I think I went with 8 X 32 socket head for all of mine, as the bottom strap area of the grip frame is a bit on the narrowish side.

Do some research on flat top pistons.
You'll increase your swept volume, and reduce pumping time.

A mod definitely worth investigating is the 1701-P grip frame- most excellent trigger!

This is a serious wabbit hole. There are barrels available, 18", or 24".
I don't know if the 14" 22-89 back-packer bbl is still available.
For .22, I'd go with the 24". They are reasonably accurate, provided you can get a "good" specimen.

Tons of info on these mods is available on the Gateway To Airguns forum.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:59 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Just checked the GTA, and the site has been up-dated.
Kind of hard to find anything in there.

Very old posts here from the C.A.F....

https://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/post5 ... ml#p521202

A bit here.

A search for flat top pistons by author rsterne and author Gipetto will turn up some directions that are a bit more clear-cut.
Posts on the subject of flat top pistons by author vagrant have some clear photos.
GMAC customs may have some valve and piston sets in stock.
There were noises about extended volume valves a while back, but I'm not sure anything came of it.

I'll look around a bit more on this, and see what I can find.

Edit: Alchemy Airwerks has some interesting parts....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:18 am 

I've been watching YT vids relating to custom add ons for the 1322. I'm not sure about a longer barrel. I know there's a point of diminishing returns with long 9mm or 45 auto barrels.

Silencers intrigue me, too but question if they silence all that well. I'll have to join that site and do a bunch of reading.

For now I'll get the gun scoped after the mail person delivers my steel breech and get used to things.

I sincerely appreciate your advice on the matter - I've got a lot to learn! SW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:55 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The cut-off for velocity increases are similar, but not the same for .177 and .22 pellet rifles.
For .177, 18" is the optimum length, and .22 is 24".

I have an 18" .22 bbl that I have not used that much. It is about 150 fps slower than the 24" bbls that I favor.

The latest pumper rifles here came with a 20" in .177 and a 24" in .22, iirc.
I'll have to take a tape to them.

Oddly enough, 18" .177 bbls are sort of hard to come by.
I don't feel handi-capped at all by the velocities my 24" .177 bbls generate.
When you do start modding for power, there are a ton of on-line resources.
I have used moderators in the past.
They help a lot for indoor use.
My favorite soda can pull-ring tab rivet target indoors is actually quite noisy.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:47 pm 

Steel breech kit install - check.
Scope mounted - check
Sight in - soon.

Watched YT vids about flat top valves and pistons. I think I've got my head around the concept. Found a place online selling a kit with aluminum valve & piston - also a stiffer hammer spring and larger transfer port @ $90 shipped. Not right away, but I'll grab that before too long. SW
cros1.JPG
cros1.JPG [ 43.69 KiB | Viewed 1911 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:34 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Lookin good so far.
I'm gonna hafta re-take the stock screw photo's. I can't find them in my files- too much junque in there.

If you find the comb a little low for the scope, black foam water line insulation seems to work well, at least for me.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:46 pm 

Saw online somewhere a 1322 "is the most expensive airgun you'll ever own."

Maybe not to such an extent, but I'm finding out there's something to that. Lucked into a paying scratch card and have enough to grab the valve, piston, spring and larger transfer port mentioned above.

Which I'll most likely do tomorrow before I think of something sensible to buy. :rotflma: :bigrin:

Ah, but it's a fun toy! (shared the scratcher $ with wifey, so I've carte blanche to grab the kit.) SW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:16 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

While you are at it, look for a sensible replacement for that roll type pump arm pivot pin.
Whoever you are dealing with probably carries something that's repeatedly removable, which will be something you want on your first modified gun.
That roll-pin is driven out from right to left, instead of the standard left to right of the gun business.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail