[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Unscientific pellet test

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unscientific pellet test
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:00 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

While into Ace hardware for hardware, I noticed Crosman pellets on the wall. Grabbed a tin of pointed and just fired them and my 2 varieties of Spanish Daisy pellets for comparison.

First observation was the Chinese Crosman shoot way higher than Spanish Daisy pellets. But they weigh the same 7.5 grains. A noticeable physical difference is the skirts. Crosmans drop right into the chamber while Daisys often need to be pressed in.

Then there appears to be different alloys involved. Chinese pellets are a lot darker than the Spanish ones... more lead in the Chinese alloy?

The Crosmans will fire a tight group if I do my part and shoot with both eyes open, but the groups are in different places for the same point of aim.

My fave is Daisy pointed, of which I'm nearly out so it's time to work on the 500 flat points. Two other places sell pellets and I'll be checking for anything German.

That or I believe Pyramid sells a variety pack. If so, I'll grab one!

Re-sighted the springer and had fun hearing tiny silhouettes go, "tink!" when smacked. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:12 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

It has been a while since I bought pellets.

The .177 crosman tear-drop points have long been a plinking favorite with me.
I'm not at all sure that Crosman's pellets all come from the same place.
I think the shallower skirts on the crosmans have something to do with their trajectory.
My experience with them has been that they like a bit of compression behind them~ something that will launch them at the upper 500's, lower 600's.
They often go on sale here in pint milk carton packaging- usually about 1250 pellets per carton.

Accuracy wise, the Daisy .177 hollow points have been very good to me, despite all the lead flakes and dented skirts. They seem to do very well in low powered pistols- CO-2 around the 400 fps mark. Cranking up the velocity seems to tighten groups a bit with them. They do well around 650 fps.

I'll return to this later with pix- I have to dig a bit to find them for photos...

Great that you are getting the trigger time in.
I could use a session myself, but am going to have to wait a while.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:15 pm 

Pyramid sells a sampler of RWS pellets, so I'll grab one in 177 and 22 as well. SW

ETA - went back and saw a JSB match sampler in 177- got it ordered, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:41 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There's the Crosman 7.9 gr tear-drop points.
Crosman changed their packaging scheme last summer, and the tins now look different.
This is one of the pellets that was tested for weight consistency a very long time ago * I think * on the GTA forum, and it did reasonably well.

The .22 version of these gave me very good performance.
I haven't really had a lot time with them.
Previous notes say they are within a 1/4" at 15 yards, despite the wind.

Made in Spain wadcutter.
Sis shot a string of these with the old BSA springer at about 650 fps, and she hit all her hulls at nearly 20 yards.
I have not seriously tested them.

These I have quite a bit of plinking experience with.
I think I posted a few one-holers these made a long time ago.
Also made in Spain.

There's the Daisy hollow point next to the mini-mite 7.62 X 39mm for you lurkers :bigrin:

Part of the pellet stash.
There's another 10 tins of assorted hunting style pellets in my cardboard hunting day-box, and about 20-30 tins of various and sundry pellets in the back of the Uplander van...

And finally, for the totally un-related off-topic photo:

My own hurry-up chicken soup.
It ( urp! ) made a great supper :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:44 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:57 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

no pistols, but do have a few Rifles,

I shoot my Daisy 835 in the garage, from stoop to far corner is ~25 feet,
standing on the top step, pellet trap on top of a safe, and Crosman Copperheads will do about a quarter sized group,
Dynamit Nobel Supermags will do about a dime,

both provided I can hold steady (shooting offhand)

the DN's are much more consistent as far as look and feel when you put them in, as they should

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:01 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post up some pix of your rifle.
The daisy line has always been interesting- there was a wood stocked single stroke pneumatic that saw duty as a trainer here with various cadet leagues.
They were highly thought of, and still bring relatively decent money in shooting condition.
I may have a plastic Daisy peep in my junk still- if I can find it.

I think RWS at one time ran two different brandings- the D.N. and the RWS.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:44 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel